Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
clasonater

PolySpandex size questions

Recommended Posts

So my last pairs of good honigs PWs are done.  I’m super depressed about it.  We had the option of wearing poly spandex in the conference this year and to be honest I have my doubts.  But that is the way things are going so...  Everything I read said true to size, which is true for the waist, unlike the PWs.  I wear thirty eight and bought thirty eight.  I also wear WV gold shins. 

I have found that the knees on the shins totally show through even when I’m standing straight up, it’s crazy distracting to me and causes the pants to ride up. . . It also looked like crap on video last weekend.  

Have any of you experienced this or did I get combos that were labeled plate pants by mistake.  I have actually seen that before.  Have any of you sized up?? I am concerned with sizing up because of the true to waist fit.  And no I’m not gonna buy force 3 shins 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

If anything, the Smitty PolySpandex Plate pants are actually too generous. They tend to billow, and flutter rather freely in slight breezes. I (like so many others) wear Force3 Ultimate shinguards, and they never get hung up on the guards. However, they do show the guards when a breeze affects them. Just a minor style thing, no big deal.

i have considered trying a set of combos to see how they drape, as there is more than enough room in the lower legs on these pants.

Have your Gold shinguards flattened out and become like cricket or hockey goalie leg guards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MadMax said: "Have your Gold shinguards flattened out and become like cricket or hockey goalie leg guards?"  Hahaha.  They do that?  I have a pair as a backup.  I don't think they have not done that yet but now I plan to go check.  But I bet you have a solution or a fix to re-curve them.  Please tell us Max.  Enquiring minds want to know.

 

@clasonater  You should try F3 shinguards.  They really are far superior to the Wilson WV Gold.  I promise.  No comparison. None.

 

I am also thinking about buying some golf pants in combos to see if they fit a bit more snugly as I really don't like the flapping in the breeze effect of these pants in the incessant Kansas winds. Anyone tried both and have a report or opinion.

Anyone had their base pants taken in on the sides any?  They really aren't working for me anymore either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellas, I never thought about the wind.  I actually haven't warn them when the wind wasn't blowing now that I think about it.  I wish Dave could keep that freakin wind on his side of the border.  I will get back to you all when the wind isn't blowing here, which will probably be in September or October.  On a positive note though, they actually felt really nice when it was snowing and I had every piece of clothing on underneath that I could find....

I always thought the WV Golds were actually kind of flatter to begin with.  I've had them so long they just sit right and feel right, I really need to wash em too :huh: 

But fine, I will look at the Force3 shins.  just look mind you

I'm a mask fan boy, but haven't warmed up to the shins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 8:29 PM, clasonater said:

So my last pairs of good honigs PWs are done.  I’m super depressed about it.  We had the option of wearing poly spandex in the conference this year and to be honest I have my doubts.  But that is the way things are going so...  Everything I read said true to size, which is true for the waist, unlike the PWs.  I wear thirty eight and bought thirty eight.  I also wear WV gold shins. 

I have found that the knees on the shins totally show through even when I’m standing straight up, it’s crazy distracting to me and causes the pants to ride up. . . It also looked like crap on video last weekend.  

Have any of you experienced this or did I get combos that were labeled plate pants by mistake.  I have actually seen that before.  Have any of you sized up?? I am concerned with sizing up because of the true to waist fit.  And no I’m not gonna buy force 3 shins 

I find the waist to be just right and they have stretch.  I like the way they look in the legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clasonater said:

Fellas, I never thought about the wind.  I actually haven't warn them when the wind wasn't blowing now that I think about it.  I wish Dave could keep that freakin wind on his side of the border.  I will get back to you all when the wind isn't blowing here, which will probably be in September or October.  On a positive note though, they actually felt really nice when it was snowing and I had every piece of clothing on underneath that I could find....

I always thought the WV Golds were actually kind of flatter to begin with.  I've had them so long they just sit right and feel right, I really need to wash em too :huh: 

But fine, I will look at the Force3 shins.  just look mind you

I'm a mask fan boy, but haven't warmed up to the shins. 

Warm up mask fan boy.  Warm up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Majordave said:

@MadMax said: "Have your Gold shinguards flattened out and become like cricket or hockey goalie leg guards?"  Hahaha.  They do that?  I have a pair as a backup.  I don't think they have not done that yet but now I plan to go check.  But I bet you have a solution or a fix to re-curve them.  Please tell us Max.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Do they ever! In all fairness, most of my observations of this phenomenon happening is here in Hell's backyard sun-drenched, parched Arizona wherein these guys pack their shinguards in their split-level gear totes (eg. Force3 Ultimate Gear Tote, Wilson Rolling Gear Tote, etc.) and they are pressed, under a substantial weight, in the heat. The same effect befalls their CPs (Golds and Platinums especially!) because they are laid flat in those gear bags and the heat softens the plastic... and voilá, you have flattened gear!

The Platinum shin guards are more prone to it than the Golds, but those two (and their DaviShin cousins) are problematic to begin with. First, they still use sofa-cushion foam skinned in nylon, just like their CP "parents". Second, while they have hard-plated flanks at the ankles, they still have downright obnoxious metatarsal plates affixed to them. They're not even (easily) removable! And then, if you (Wilson) really are "the umpire's company", why do you make four different models of shin guards? No, not sizes... complete models! The Golds have two additional ATK (above the knee) thigh plates, but lack a floating patella plate, yet they have the largest (and most egregious) metatarsal plate. The Platinums bring back the floating patella plate, but lack the ATK plates. And, they too have an affixed metatarsal guard. Perhaps the most appealing shin guards from Wilson are the Guardians! If you really wanted to perfect the shin guard design, you'd make a Douglas, or a Force3 Ultimate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Majordave said:

@MadMax said: "Have your Gold shinguards flattened out and become like cricket or hockey goalie leg guards?"  Hahaha.  They do that?  I have a pair as a backup.  I don't think they have not done that yet but now I plan to go check.  But I bet you have a solution or a fix to re-curve them.  Please tell us Max.  Enquiring minds want to know.

 

@clasonater  You should try F3 shinguards.  They really are far superior to the Wilson WV Gold.  I promise.  No comparison. None.

 

I am also thinking about buying some golf pants in combos to see if they fit a bit more snugly as I really don't like the flapping in the breeze effect of these pants in the incessant Kansas winds. Anyone tried both and have a report or opinion.

Anyone had their base pants taken in on the sides any?  They really aren't working for me anymore either.

 I wear Force 3 shins with Combo Polyspandex instead of Plates and they work well.  I highly recommend taking that route especially if you're in shape and your shirts are tailored too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JDavis225 said:

...and your shirts are tailored too.

Also if your shirts are sizes Smedium.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Also if your shirts are sizes Smedium.

Ha! Call it that if you wish. I'm a size Ledium!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I've worn my F3 shins under my base pants.

 

The Poly spandex are NOT flex waist. If you need to layer, size up. I like my plate pants a size larger than base.

 

But, tonight, I went:

 

Starter compression boxer briefs

Diamond MMA jockstrap

Dickies base layer

Starter athletic shorts

Poly Spandex

 

On top:

Starter Dri-Star short sleeve shirt

Honigs 3x (bullshirt!) convertible jacket

Hanes long sleeve cotton shirt

Smitty 3x long sleeve shirt

Honigs ligher weight jacket

 

and tucked in comfortably. Then, the rain shifted, the temp went from 45 to 55 and I sweated my oysters off.

 

On the upside, pitcher threw a perfect game!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wore all that crap and only started to sweat when it was 55.   My oysters would love a 55 degree game.  And I suppose I’ll think about havin a look at the force3s.  I’m 6’3” should the 18.5s work??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, udbrky said:

 I've worn my F3 shins under my base pants.

 

The Poly spandex are NOT flex waist. If you need to layer, size up. I like my plate pants a size larger than base.

 

But, tonight, I went:

 

Starter compression boxer briefs

Diamond MMA jockstrap

Dickies base layer

Starter athletic shorts

Poly Spandex

 

On top:

Starter Dri-Star short sleeve shirt

Honigs 3x (bullshirt!) convertible jacket

Hanes long sleeve cotton shirt

Smitty 3x long sleeve shirt

Honigs ligher weight jacket

 

and tucked in comfortably. Then, the rain shifted, the temp went from 45 to 55 and I sweated my oysters off.

 

On the upside, pitcher threw a perfect game!

The poly spandex actually have some stretch to the waist band.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, since i got some veteran brothas on this thread.....

I caught the OU Texas game at the local bar tonight on ESPNU with the swmnbn (going on right now) and although we didn't have sound, I picked up on the fact that there was an umpire switch during the game... closed captioning..

First of all, what happened to cause the switch if any of you know (i noticed they were still rollin' in three man)????, and second, the HP was killin it during a tight game.  it was fun to watch a power conference guy gettin after it back there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 4:19 PM, clasonater said:

You wore all that crap and only started to sweat when it was 55.   My oysters would love a 55 degree game.  And I suppose I’ll think about havin a look at the force3s.  I’m 6’3” should the 18.5s work??

Oh I sweated earlier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 4:55 PM, umpstu said:

The poly spandex actually have some stretch to the waist band.

Yeah, but nothing like the flex fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, udbrky said:

Yeah, but nothing like the flex fit.

But, they do stretch.  I've actually never tried the flex fits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2018 at 5:51 PM, Majordave said:

@MadMax said: "Have your Gold shinguards flattened out and become like cricket or hockey goalie leg guards?"  Hahaha.  They do that?  I have a pair as a backup.  I don't think they have not done that yet but now I plan to go check.  But I bet you have a solution or a fix to re-curve them.  Please tell us Max.  Enquiring minds want to know.

 

@clasonater  You should try F3 shinguards.  They really are far superior to the Wilson WV Gold.  I promise.  No comparison. None.

 

I am also thinking about buying some golf pants in combos to see if they fit a bit more snugly as I really don't like the flapping in the breeze effect of these pants in the incessant Kansas winds. Anyone tried both and have a report or opinion.

Anyone had their base pants taken in on the sides any?  They really aren't working for me anymore either.

When you get your poly spandex pants hemmed, have the tailor TAPER the pants the way you like them. That's what I've done to mine. Simple fix and custom made to how YOU like them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 12:26 PM, JDavis225 said:

 I wear Force 3 shins with Combo Polyspandex instead of Plates and they work well.  I highly recommend taking that route especially if you're in shape and your shirts are tailored too.

Yes - to each his own on how they like they're pants to look and fit. I'm 6'3" and 240. I wear an XL on the bases and XXL on the plate. I've left my plant pants alone to give me more room to move around with F3 shins on. My base pants - when I got them hemmed, I had them TAPER the leg to fit the way that I liked them. Custom fit for the umpire that wears the pants. I love the Poly Spandex material. Glad you found a combo fit for you that you like. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×