3rd out appeal

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2175 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So, after reading, and answering the question a million times, it finally happened to me.

I'm BU. R2, R3, one out, fly out to F8. I line up the catch with R2. R2 leaves 2 steps early. F3 tags and scores. Defense appeals correctly to 2B. I bang out R2 who's now on 3B. Defense mildly proclaims "run doesn't score". Partner says "score the run", looks at me and I nod. Defense puts up no resistance. 

You would think for all the times this situation is asked about on this site, it would have happened to me before my 8th season and probably over  1,000 games. 

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

So, after reading, and answering the question a million times, it finally happened to me.

I'm BU. R2, R3, one out, fly out to F8. I line up the catch with R2. R2 leaves 2 steps early. F3 tags and scores. Defense appeals correctly to 2B. I bang out R2 who's now on 3B. Defense mildly proclaims "run doesn't score". Partner says "score the run", looks at me and I nod. Defense puts up no resistance. 

You would think for all the times this situation is asked about on this site, it would have happened to me before my 8th season and probably over  1,000 games. 

Had the following happen twice in two different games on the same day.  R1 and R3, one out. Batter hits a ball to center fielder who catches it easily and throws to home trying to catch R3 who has legally tagged up.  R1 just puts his head down and runs, not realizing the ball was caught until after second base.  Both games the R1 just passes 2nd on the way back. Both games the defense cuts the throw from center fielder and do not throw the ball to first base until R3 has crossed the plate.  Both 2-1 ball games.  One coach listened to me about it being an appeal and not a force play so the third out at first doesn't matter.  Time play.  The other coach lodged a protest.  Ok.  He told another umpire that he called our instructional chairman and was told we got the call right.  Wouldn't dare say it to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Had the following happen twice in two different games on the same day.  R1 and R3, one out. Batter hits a ball to center fielder who catches it easily and throws to home trying to catch R3 who has legally tagged up.  R1 just puts his head down and runs, not realizing the ball was caught until after second base.  Both games the R1 just passes 2nd on the way back. Both games the defense cuts the throw from center fielder and do not throw the ball to first base until R3 has crossed the plate.  Both 2-1 ball games.  One coach listened to me about it being an appeal and not a force play so the third out at first doesn't matter.  Time play.  The other coach lodged a protest.  Ok.  He told another umpire that he called our instructional chairman and was told we got the call right.  Wouldn't dare say it to me.

Maybe I'm due to see this for the 2nd time in my career tomorrow. :)

• Like 3

On 4/11/2018 at 7:21 PM, Richvee said:

As a coach/player in what I guesstimate is in the neighborhood of 1500-2000 games I can only recall this happening twice.

In one of those games one coach and the umpire believed it was a "force" play and the run was nullified.   In the other game, both coaches and the umpire knew the rule.  The interesting part is two runs actually scored on the play, with bases loaded and R1 running instead of tagging on a fly ball to the warning track.  The only discussion was whether or not R2 beat the appeal on R1.