Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
UmpCast_Wes

The Interference Call

Our tenth episode of UmpCast is going to be focusing on Interference.  I wanted to ask what your most common interference calls tend to be?  Also, how do you sell your tougher calls where you know a coach is going to be coming out?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Batter interference with catcher's throw.  Usually the tough call is on the bases and the third out.  If so, I just turn and walk out to the middle of right field and make him come to me.

• Like 2

I think my most common interference play in 10-14 years olds ball was R2 running into F6 when he's going for a groundball or pop up towards the middle of the diamond. 

I use to do that, walk out to right field and make him come to me. I don't do that now. If he's coming out, I'll meet him. Explain my call when asked and when I'm done I can walk away. If the coach follows, then he is at risk for termination.

Regarding interference calls, I would say the Force Play Slide Rule  is one you'll always get a coach heated up on. They don't understand the rule and you have to explain it every time.

• Thanks 1

New guy.  Quick question.  If the coach calls time and goes into right field, or anywhere on the playing field, to argue the call  does he get charged a mound visit?

1 minute ago, Lummy said:

New guy.  Quick question.  If the coach calls time and goes into right field, or anywhere on the playing field, to argue the call  does he get charged a mound visit?

No.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, noumpere said:

No.

... unless he visits the mound on the way there or the way back.

• Thanks 1

On April 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM, Ump-Cast said:

Our tenth episode of UmpCast is going to be focusing on Interference.  I wanted to ask what your most common interference calls tend to be?  Also, how do you sell your tougher calls where you know a coach is going to be coming out?

FPSR if any!

We don't make calls worried about a coach coming out on us. We SELL them by the rules and good mechanics.  Well, most of us.  

On April 12, 2018 at 9:22 PM, Ump-Cast said:

Going out to right field after a call does make it harder to get to you.  If he wants to argue, he has to think it's worth the effort to follow you out there.

As U1, going out to right field is where you should go after the third out is made. You'll be surprised how that deters a coach from coming out to "argue". 

Last year it was the f6/r2 calls, this year seems to be starting out with BI or CI calls, too many inexperienced catchers setting way to far in or batters paying more attention to r2s than freezing or getting out of the way. I sell every call the same no matter what. I don't care if I think a coach will come to me about a call, that's his job and I expect he'll do his job. It's all in how we both represent ourselves during the conversation that counts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk