Mask Pad material to face PREFERENCE - leather vs pad -

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2183 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, midtnump said:

Starting to love the Honigs pads but I  can't do a red frame. Navy shirt and the Ti with Navy pads, Powder Blue with black ZG w/black pads, Black shirt and ZG with black pads. I really need to get the tan leather honigs for the ZG for the black shirt too. 

Became a moot point anyways. In a location that primarily wears black. Someone beat me to it.

In warm weather, say above 60 or 65, TW is my preference. Not all hot and sweaty, easy to wash, and I've taken shots with no issues. I am completely confident in the protection of TW.
In cold weather, which in the northeast so far has been the Whole Season, I feel the TWs are hard, and the leathers (I have All Star LUCs and Wilson) feel warm and comfy, so I use leather below 60/65. And as said above, half the battle is wearing the mask properly fitted and having the proper stance/mechanics where your face is still and not turning your head to follow pitches. About half the really good stingers I've seen were results of suspect plate mechanics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobUmp said:

In warm weather, say above 60 or 65, TW is my preference. Not all hot and sweaty, easy to wash, and I've taken shots with no issues. I am completely confident in the protection of TW.
In cold weather, which in the northeast so far has been the Whole Season, I feel the TWs are hard, and the leathers (I have All Star LUCs and Wilson) feel warm and comfy, so I use leather below 60/65. And as said above, half the battle is wearing the mask properly fitted and having the proper stance/mechanics where your face is still and not turning your head to follow pitches. About half the really good stingers I've seen were results of suspect plate mechanics.

The All-Star leather is the LMX pads ... vinyl on front, leather on your face.  LUC pads are their fabric (which is my personal favorite pad)

• Like 1

The All-Star leather is the LMX pads ... vinyl on front, leather on your face.  LUC pads are their fabric (which is my personal favorite pad)
Oops yes, you are correct... The LMX two-tones.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobUmp said:

Oops yes, you are correct... The LMX two-tones.....

LMX are nice also, but for me, LUC's just feel so good and feel as though there's more protection there, plus, they're lighter than TW's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 1:23 AM, MadMax said:

Ha! My $39 +POS ZRO-G. If I can't pound it out and get it back right (enough), I'll just order in another one.

Man I love that mask cage @MadMax,

First mask owned, n decided to settle with that, instead of a Wilson aliminum, n I seems like a solid lightweight cage

On 4/17/2018 at 7:57 AM, Thunderheads said:

That's what I'm using with my plus POS cage

In cold ass NW ohio!

planned on getting new pads, found an lmx 25 at play it again

traded for 2.mitts getting dusty in closet

When I got +POS cage n harness, had to try it out, so...fmlx25 sitting around with the leather aegis pads.

So...Aegis pads SUCKED in smaller size fmlx25 cage

swapped em out into +POS

No bullSH*#, felt like totally different pads, very comfortable on that silver +pos!!

goes to show that you can't judge pad comfort with ANY mask

Seems pads feel different in different cages

Anybody else  notice this happen when swapping pads into a different cage?

I have been wearing TW pads on a Honig's steel frame for the past couple of years. If I could find new pads for my All-Star S7 mask I would go back to that because I liked it more (even though the frame has gotten quite dull).. I don't think I've worn leather pads for 10+ years and can't see going back to them with the fabrics available these days.

1 minute ago, Welpe said:

I have been wearing TW pads on a Honig's steel frame for the past couple of years. If I could find new pads for my All-Star S7 mask I would go back to that because I liked it more (even though the frame has gotten quite dull).. I don't think I've worn leather pads for 10+ years and can't see going back to them with the fabrics available these days.

Monty, get them from All-Star directly!  AND, you can get the new FM4000 MAG pads too (larger lower)

• Like 1