Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
blue23ll

Field Condition Adjustments

Here in the Pacific Northwest we have had tons of rain, so naturally, the fields are not in the best shape. I had a game yesterday where there was a big mud hole in the exact spot that I start from in A. I use the standing set, and walk into the pitch, and this mud hole had me in a conundrum.  I could either set up way deeper than I normally do, way out into the grass. Or, I could set up closer to the bag, which at times left me in front of F3, not ideal. 

Also, I have done games this season where the area around 1st base is muddy, making it treacherous to slide in for your pivot. Any thoughts on that issue?

Does anyone else make such adjustments??

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

1 hour ago, blue23ll said:

Here in the Pacific Northwest we have had tons of rain, so naturally, the fields are not in the best shape. I had a game yesterday where there was a big mud hole in the exact spot that I start from in A. I use the standing set, and walk into the pitch, and this mud hole had me in a conundrum.  I could either set up way deeper than I normally do, way out into the grass. Or, I could set up closer to the bag, which at times left me in front of F3, not ideal. 

Also, I have done games this season where the area around 1st base is muddy, making it treacherous to slide in for your pivot. Any thoughts on that issue?

Does anyone else make such adjustments??

Yeah, I adjusted... I relocated to Phoenix, AZ. :D

Have you considered Wellies or galoshes? Perhaps a pair of these?:
dunlop-wellingtons-pentru-barbati-180028

Yeah, don't pivot. Utilize the ICGTYWHTCI rotation. Your PU will understand. A compromise is that any BR that advances beyond 1B does so at his own peril, and is likely out.

------------------- ~ -------------------------- Anything above this line should not be taken seriously ------------------------- ~ ------------------------------

Always remember, angle is more important than distance. So, when faced with an obstacle like this, it's more advantageous to take (a) step(s) back and see it from the proper angle – further away – than to be in (too) close proximity and have little to no window within which to see everything (called having the play "blow up on you"). Besides this, you should not have F3 behind you, as you mention.

Why are you pivoting so close to 1B, regardless of ground conditions? A dash across, with a glance over your left shoulder to see the BR touch of 1B, then swivel your head to pick up the baseball should be all you need. Then, adjust accordingly. The "perfect" buttonhook pivot is arcane, performs no exclusively beneficial purpose, and actually is more perilous to your hips, knees and ankles as we umpires become older / less athletic. As long as you understand the premise and purpose of the pivot, you can easily accomplish it with a dash-&-glance. So yes, of course, the schools teach it to greenhorn, new umpires who don't know why to pivot. The unfortunate thing is some associations (their hardliners and trainers, specifically) still hold that an actual buttonhook pivot is the only method.

With such a treacherous field as yours, consider that a "deeper" dash across – more towards the 2B cutout than towards the mound – will actually be of greater benefit to you. If a BR does round 1B, he's either going to do so lightly, because of the treacherous muddy ground, or he will "floor it" and commit to 2B without letting up on the gas. Do you really want to perform a buttonhook pivot, questioning your footing, and then have to try and get going again on wet grass to make speed to the 2B cutout? Just head towards the 2B cutout from the start, glance over your shoulder to see the touch of 1B, and adjust accordingly.

ICGTYWHTCI = I Can't Get There You Will Have To Cover It

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

See the source image

AA, do you wear that around your middle, or on your head?

What about working from the fair side of the line at your normal depth?

We have had some wet weather in BC too.

I keep a pair of black cleats and will use them over my turf shoes when the monsoons hit. 

Snuck in a game on Saturday where hp circle turned into a mud pit. Had mud on my freakin’ throat guard.