Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Storm13

New CP suggestions

I know this is a question that will get many opinions but i am looking to get a new CP this summer and wanted some advice.  I currently am wearing a Champion CP and took a ball on the soft padded part.  It didn't knock me over but it also didn't feel too good.  I am a about 6' tall and wear a XXL shirt so need something that will cover me well.  Suggestions are welcome but my budget is a little tight right now. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I saw a used WV Gold in L/XL on Craigslist for $60... even with shipping that's probably only $80.  I'm close to your height and size (XL) and that fit me really well.  It offers wings for the sides where I am assuming the spot you took a shot was located. 

The Schutt /Adams HDX is a little wider than the Champion as well and still under $100.

After those options, the Gold or Platinum will run you to the mid $100's and then Douglas/All Star will go almost to $200.  Finally, the F3 CP is almost $300. 

Personally, I've owned and used Douglas, Platinum, Gold, Champion, Schutt, Champro, The Ump and they're all really similar, yet unique in their own ways. 

* - The Douglas doesn't have gap coverage on the shoulders, and at that price point - it should.  It hurts if you catch a ball on top of the shoulder.  This is a very affordable CP, but hot and a little hard to get over the head without feeling like you're ripping your ears off, but with practice it can be done.  Also, the gap coverage is a non-starter for me unless you want to spend $30 more for them.

* - The Champion just didn't fit right on me.  Granted, I had the huge 17" model, but it was super thin and still as hot as the Platinum or Gold.   It is very affordable though.

* - Platinum offers great protection. You don't feel a thing when you take a shot.  But it's expensive and hot and a little hard to get over your head.

* - Gold is same as Platinum, but easier to put over head.  A little thicker padding offers even more protection (and heat).  More expensive slightly than Platinum, but I like the shoulder gap coverage protection better on the Gold. Plus, it's black! :)

* - My Champro was a soft/hard shell.  By that I mean it had plates, but they weren't very hard as I could bend them easily and they were covered with a "foam" for lack of a better word. It did it's job, but you could feel the shots a little more than I liked.  It did breathe well, was pretty light and kept everything covered well.  I did Babe Ruth baseball in it, but I wouldn't recommend for HS ball or higher.

* - Schutt/Adams XV is a neat little game-changer.  I've never worn a CP that feels so light and airy.  It's hard to explain unless you've tried one on.  You can feel air through this CP and it cools you down.  It's very affordable for a hard shell CP.  It offers as much protection as any hard-shell CP and uses new D30 foam.  I haven't taken a shot yet so I can't speak to feel versus a Gold/Platinum/Douglas, but I'm confident it will perform at least as good as the Champion plates.  In my opinion, it is wider across the chest than the Champion and it has the "wings" on the side as well.  Plus, it drops down and covers all my ribs - which the Platinum barely hit my last rib, but Gold/Douglas covers.  The new Adams HDX version offers clips on side and the better harness, but the old Schutt XV version can be modded with the MadMaXV modification for a great CP at a "wow" price!

In short, if on a budget and you already have a Champion, I'd try the Adams HDX.  Dowdle Sports has them for around $80-85 shipped to you. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mister B said:

Is the HDX back in stock anywhere?

Dowdle Sports will let me put it in my cart, so I'm assuming they have it in stock.  I didn't fully complete the order though.

Ump-Attire is still out.

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Dowdle Sports will let me put it in my cart, so I'm assuming they have it in stock.  I didn't fully complete the order though.

Ump-Attire is still out.

According to @MikeSafari, no one has them. 

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I saw a used WV Gold in L/XL on Craigslist for $60... even with shipping that's probably only $80.  I'm close to your height and size (XL) and that fit me really well.  It offers wings for the sides where I am assuming the spot you took a shot was located. 

The Schutt /Adams HDX is a little wider than the Champion as well and still under $100.

After those options, the Gold or Platinum will run you to the mid $100's and then Douglas/All Star will go almost to $200.  Finally, the F3 CP is almost $300. 

Personally, I've owned and used Douglas, Platinum, Gold, Champion, Schutt, Champro, The Ump and they're all really similar, yet unique in their own ways. 

* - The Douglas doesn't have gap coverage on the shoulders, and at that price point - it should.  It hurts if you catch a ball on top of the shoulder.  This is a very affordable CP, but hot and a little hard to get over the head without feeling like you're ripping your ears off, but with practice it can be done.  Also, the gap coverage is a non-starter for me unless you want to spend $30 more for them.

* - The Champion just didn't fit right on me.  Granted, I had the huge 17" model, but it was super thin and still as hot as the Platinum or Gold.   It is very affordable though.

* - Platinum offers great protection. You don't feel a thing when you take a shot.  But it's expensive and hot and a little hard to get over your head.

* - Gold is same as Platinum, but easier to put over head.  A little thicker padding offers even more protection (and heat).  More expensive slightly than Platinum, but I like the shoulder gap coverage protection better on the Gold. Plus, it's black! :)

* - My Champro was a soft/hard shell.  By that I mean it had plates, but they weren't very hard as I could bend them easily and they were covered with a "foam" for lack of a better word. It did it's job, but you could feel the shots a little more than I liked.  It did breathe well, was pretty light and kept everything covered well.  I did Babe Ruth baseball in it, but I wouldn't recommend for HS ball or higher.

* - Schutt/Adams XV is a neat little game-changer.  I've never worn a CP that feels so light and airy.  It's hard to explain unless you've tried one on.  You can feel air through this CP and it cools you down.  It's very affordable for a hard shell CP.  It offers as much protection as any hard-shell CP and uses new D30 foam.  I haven't taken a shot yet so I can't speak to feel versus a Gold/Platinum/Douglas, but I'm confident it will perform at least as good as the Champion plates.  In my opinion, it is wider across the chest than the Champion and it has the "wings" on the side as well.  Plus, it drops down and covers all my ribs - which the Platinum barely hit my last rib, but Gold/Douglas covers.  The new Adams HDX version offers clips on side and the better harness, but the old Schutt XV version can be modded with the MadMaXV modification for a great CP at a "wow" price!

In short, if on a budget and you already have a Champion, I'd try the Adams HDX.  Dowdle Sports has them for around $80-85 shipped to you. 

When did @MadMax gets hold of Keith's account? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

See, Arik ( @BT_Blue), it can't be me... there's not enough seething contempt for Wilson in that rather extensive advisory. ;)

So, let me supply it! (I know, I know, most of you regulars are groaning "Not again... ugh....")

I've said it before, the Wilson WestVest Gold and WestVest Platinum are, unto themselves, very good CPs. If you were to hand me one, or sell me one for less than $50, I'd wear one in utter confidence that it will protect me (after I sanitize the hell out of it, since it's a big ol' sofa). I have no problems recommending one to an umpire; however, I never recommend buying one at full-price retail. That's just "feeding the machine", and propagating the problem.

And the chief problem is nothing on those Wilson CPs has improved or changed in over 15 years. Whereas Force3 is investing your $250+ in advanced materials, and frequent design revisions, and Douglas is investing your $250+ in manufacturing its CP here in the USA (albeit with old methods, which, if I had a chance to talk with Jeff Cook about it, I would try to persuade him to consider advanced foams instead of sofa cushion foam) and the ability to customize it on the fly, where is your $200+ going when you buy a Wilson CP? To subsidize the exclusive contract they have with MLBU? They are more protective of their patent than they are of you, the umpire / customer.

With that said, from a physical standpoint, the Champion P2xx is a bit on the narrow side. It's found its popularity with MiLB Umpires because of its sub-$100 price tag and that is ideally suited for trimmer, narrower body frames. This translates into a slim, trim, athletic look that the MiLB umpires really value. Not everyone can be, or is built like, a fighter pilot so other CPs will have to be addressed. These include the Gold... and let me say now, the Gold's chief (patent) rivals could also be put in this class – the All-American and the Riddell Power. If you put these three CPs side by side (by side), you'll notice there are glaring similarities. It's these similarities that are at the core of the patent infringement lawsuit, and the reason Riddell and All-American were served with a C&D order. And Riddell and All-American didn't press the issue because all three companies are (or were, in All-American's case) heavily involved in the football industry. You gotta know what battles to fight. So, my point is, if you have the opportunity to try out a Riddell Power or an All-American, consider it.

Back to the last two of the sub-$100 CPs to consider – the Schutt/Adams XV-HDX and the Champro Pro Plus... both of these are cut larger / wider than the Champion P2xx. The Schutt/Adams XV-HDX is so oddly appealing because it employs advanced foam – the D3O TPU-EVA foam that Wolfe mentions – instead of open-cell sofa cushion foam, thus drastically reducing bulk and weight while increasing ventilation and breathability.

There is one last CP that I would also recommend looking into – the +POS ZRO-G. We might be able to find a ZRO-G at closeout pricing, being that the ZRO-G has been replaced by the Cobra in +POS's catalog. If you look at a ZRO-G:
ZROG-CP-600x315.jpg

... it looks a lot like a WV Gold, does it not? But, I can tell you, hand on heart, it weighs half as much (or sure does feel like it)... why's that? For starters, it uses a vinyl carapace instead of hard-cast ABS plastic. This vinyl is less dense than ABS plastic. Then, the type of foam used is an advanced laminate, using three varieties of open cell – closed cell – and memory foam, skinned in a wicking mesh (instead of the Gold and Platinum's abrasive, heavy nylon). We managed to get one of these from +POS, on closeout, for less than $80 to be used by one of our new umpires in our group.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

When did @MadMax gets hold of Keith's account? :lol:

LOL!  I can assure you I'm not him as he is the land of AZ, where it doesn't rain or snow everyday. 

But you should have heard our call when Max and I were discussing the XV mod at few months back. :)  

Words are very useful things and there are a lot of them that can be utilized!

6 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

LOL!  I can assure you I'm not him as he is the land of AZ, where it doesn't rain or snow everyday. 

But you should have heard our call when Max and I were discussing the XV mod at few months back. :)  

Words are very useful things and there are a lot of them that can be utilized!

Look... all I have to say is... no one has seen Keith and Max in the same room together... have they?

Oh... and I, for one, enjoy and share your loathing of the big w Max.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I have a Good L/XL that I might be willing to part with for $80-90 shipped.

It is my #3 CP behind my Schutt MaXV and the Douglas that Keith sold me last season.

ok...i am narrowing it down and have a few that I can afford and choose from...please let me know what you think and I appreciate all your input.

CP33-CP335-CP34.jpeg

cobra 6-1000x1000.jpg

516wM2s4szL.jpg

81V4lUitskL._SL1400_.jpg

@storm13  My suggestion would be 1. new Schutt/Adams, new harness design,  2. Plus Pos, these first two gives you the longest coverage and cooler padding design/ protection. 3. The "W", see any of @MadMax dissertations on the "W" and last Champro, fixed padding can't be machine washed and the others can.

The Champro has some MAJOR gaps in the shoulder area. I would eliminate it from consideration. What about the All-Star System 7 as well? That's what I have....not as padded as the Gold, but pretty good, well ventilated since the precurved shoulders allow it to hang and not need to be as tightly fastened. Not so great for those with really thick necks, but us pencil necks are just fine!

55 minutes ago, scrounge said:

The Champro has some MAJOR gaps in the shoulder area. I would eliminate it from consideration. What about the All-Star System 7 as well? That's what I have....not as padded as the Gold, but pretty good, well ventilated since the precurved shoulders allow it to hang and not need to be as tightly fastened. Not so great for those with really thick necks, but us pencil necks are just fine!

I have not found a All-Star System 7 in my price range as of now...The 4 CPs listed i have been able to find for a good price and just trying to continue to narrow down the choices.

I'd save up another game fee, and go with the best protection you can get. Long after the money is spent, you never regret buying the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midtnump said:

@storm13  My suggestion would be 1. new Schutt/Adams, new harness design,  2. Plus Pos, these first two gives you the longest coverage and cooler padding design/ protection. 3. The "W", see any of @MadMax dissertations on the "W" and last Champro, fixed padding can't be machine washed and the others can.

I would 100% agree with the order of choice here.

Just a few things to think about. And that is how quickly you need this new protector.

As noted elsewhere. The new Schutt is out of stock just about everywhere, until at least eary summer. And I don't know what the availability of the previous version is. Also the XV has that horrible yoked harness that needs to be changed out for all but a select few.

Second is the Cobra. From all accounts, this is a very good chest protector. However, +POS has been notorious for lagging in the shipping department. You may get it when you need it. You may not. Or you may receive it in time for your great grandson to wear it for his first pro game.

The nice thing about the Gold... they are available NOW.

So think about how fast you need it. And proceed from there. If you can wait... I would go with the Adams/Schutt or the Cobra. If you are in a more immediate need, I would pick the Wilson. :2cents: YMMV

The default harness for the Cobra is not very good, I would recommend you get a harness from Razzer if you go that route be cause that is probably its biggest flaw. Besides the harness its a its light, fairly cool, and the protection while not as good as a S7 is nothing to sneeze at.

4 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

^as a general rule... Ray's harness is the way to go.^

I will definitely be getting a new harness from Ray no matter what CP I decide on.  I just need something wide enough to cover my whole chest.  I am also looking at the Wilson Pro Platinum now too...went from narrowing to adding now...lol 

I have a lot of barrel chested friends who use the Platinum, because of the wide coverage. It's solid protection, for sure. Coupled with a new harness, and you've got a pro rig, ready for anything, that will last may years.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

I will definitely be getting a new harness from Ray no matter what CP I decide on.  I just need something wide enough to cover my whole chest.  I am also looking at the Wilson Pro Platinum now too...went from narrowing to adding now...lol 

Always happens. Lol

If you are interested, I have a Gold for sale that doesn't have a harness  (not a problem since you are buying one from Ray) but still have all the riggings.

Does anyone have a Gold and Platinum Wilson that they could let me know the different in the plate size?