Hanging leg in WIND UP not set

Guest Aaron
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2197 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Aaron

Here is the situation (Alabama HS) NFHS Rules:  Pitcher, in the windup with no runners on hangs leg in the air, without any movement anywhere else (dead stop) for about 1-3 seconds. Next pitch may not hang at all. Next pitch while hanging leg pumps it up and down twice before delivery. But mainly just hangs leg for between 1 to 3 (no joke....really that long) seconds. My reading of 6-1-2 is literal.. "After he starts his movement to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration.”  Now, I'm not saying it must be exactly the same every time, but I here we have completely different means to deliver the ball

Is this illegal?  If so, to what extent (first hang, two pumps)?

If not, why?

Also, does the set positionwhat about doing this in the set position?

9 answers to this question

2011 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 20: With R1 on third base, the pitcher is in the windup position. At the top of his motion, he pauses for two or three seconds and then delivers. RULING: The umpire shall declare a balk and score R1 from third base. After a pitcher starts his motion to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration. (6-1-2)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guest Aaron said:

without any movement anywhere else (dead stop) for about 1-3 seconds.

I'd have to be 100% sure of this before I called this balk/illegal pitch. Usually, as I like to say, "I'm pretty sure something was moving." It's extremely difficult to keep a balanced body absolutely motionless for that long. When in doubt, the motion is legal.

If he is doing that, I'd get it when it's only an illegal pitch (not yet a balk).

2 hours ago, Guest Aaron said:

Next pitch may not hang at all.

This piece is irrelevant, as no rule requires F1 to use the same motion for every pitch. Each of the 200 (or whatever) pitches he throws can use a different movement.

I apologize for nitpicking the remark, but some umpires still seem to think that either (a) ugly is illegal, or (b) different from the last one is illegal. Neither is true.

You cited the correct provision of the rule, as Mr. Blue's citation indicates.

3 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

SITUATION 20: With R1 on third base, the pitcher is in the windup position. At the top of his motion, he pauses for two or three seconds and then delivers. RULING: The umpire shall declare a balk and score R1 from third base. After a pitcher starts his motion to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration. (6-1-2)

My adoration continues unabated.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

That's nice but the OP said no runners.

Which runners were being deceived by the hesitation?

But go ahead and call a balk and have all the runners advance a base.  :)

With runners on, it would not be a balk because deceptive. It'd be a balk because it's an illegal pitch, penalized under 6-2-4c.

With no runners the pitch is no less illegal. Only the penalty, not the basis of the infraction, would differ. 6-1-2

I've already posted my philosophy on calling this one.

NFHS rule 6-1-2 states (concerning the pitcher):

“…After he starts his movement to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration.”

PENALTY:  The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situations, the umpire signals dead ball.

The interpretation was issued by the NFHS in 2011 in response to what some people call the Japanese pause and to re-affirm that the rule had not changed.

The NCAA has an approved ruling that okays the pause in the windup and it can be found in rule 9-1a. The OBR has an official interpretation that states the pause is okay in the windup and that interpretation can be found in the Wendelstedt manual and the BRD. So, it is only high school that penalizes the pause in the windup position.

Guest Aaron

Thank you for the responses.  From what I am reading I guess the summary would be:  Pause is illegal...but make sure it is a complete pause and if in doubt let it go.

It is unfortunate that the 2018 Case Book does not address this issue.