Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
geraldjklein1908

Force3 Defender Mask

Can anyone help me with a question on the Force3 Defender Mask. I just bought one and have been using Team Wendy pads for a long time. Can this mask take TW pads?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

The Force 3 Defender can only use the Force 3 pads. I would not even try to make them fit. The Kevlar pads that come with the mask work as a system with springs in the mask. Just a remember this mask is made to be worn snug to your face. Not sure if you are use to wearing a loose fitting mask or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjdakin said:

The Force 3 Defender can only use the Force 3 pads. I would not even try to make them fit. The Kevlar pads that come with the mask work as a system with springs in the mask. Just a remember this mask is made to be worn snug to your face. Not sure if you are use to wearing a loose fitting mask or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geraldjklein1908 said:

Has anyone tried to put TW pads on the mask. Just curious, if they don't fit, I understand.

Looking at pictures they seem to be the wrong shape.  Why would you replace them?

Has anyone tried to put TW pads on the mask. Just curious, if they don't fit, I understand.

The F3 pads are stiffer than TW pads to allow the spring system to compress when struck. That is also why you need to wear it tighter than a normal mask

• Like 2

Alright, the Designated Gear Nut will answer this one, too...

Yes, I tried. I tried really hard, for about... oh... three seconds of thoughtfulness. I didn’t actually put TW pads onto a pad-less Defender frame, but I can tell you, it utter certainty, they don’t fit.

... and neither do any other pads, especially from, say, Wilson.

Why? Because as @rjdakin, @JSam21, and @umpstu all point out, the Defender is not a conventional mask and its own Kevlar -infused pads provide the stand-off distance and resistance to allow the springs to work the way they were intended. 

To put anything else – Wilson Wraparounds because you have to satisfy some stupid contract obligation, for example – on the Defender actually lessens or handicaps its protectiveness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Alright, the Designated Gear Nut will answer this one, too...

Yes, I tried. I tried really hard, for about... oh... three seconds of thoughtfulness. I didn’t actually put TW pads onto a pad-less Defender frame, but I can tell you, it utter certainty, they don’t fit.

... and neither do any other pads, especially from, say, Wilson.

Why? Because as @rjdakin, @JSam21, and @umpstu all point out, the Defender is not a conventional mask and its own Kevlar -infused pads provide the stand-off distance and resistance to allow the springs to work the way they were intended. 

To put anything else – Wilson Wraparounds because you have to satisfy some stupid contract obligation, for example – on the Defender actually lessens or handicaps its protectiveness.

And it might void any type of case you have against Force 3 if you were to get injured wearing their gear.

I will say, that I have come across guys that have done it. But wouldn't recommend it for reasons above.