Anyone found out . . . ?

SJA
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2204 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Glad I wasn’t the only one that noticed...cuz I was sure that wasn’t there last year. My guess is other brands complained about the free tv time Wilson was getting??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Do MLB umpire’s have specific merch. deals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

That is my guess as well. With UA coming next year. All Star isn't far behind.

This is a fair guess, but my thought is why cover them this year?  Wilson is still the official supplier of MLB, so why be ashamed and cover it up this year?  Something's in the wind.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mister B said:

I was thinking that maybe they are using Team Wendy pads or even Razzer's harness. In that case, it wouldn't be a stock WVG and can't be shown as one. 

I agree with @SJA .... that doesn't apply ....

Remember, many guys wear TW pads and they just black out the logo, ..... Ray's harness has nothing to do with it because it's hidden.  The contract says that you must wear Wilson gear and if not, the logo must be covered.   Ray's harness is hidden, so that's all set.  TW pads get "blacked out" on the logo....      this "W" hiding is strange indeed!

• Like 1

Was thinking about calling Joe and asking him personally. Not sure if he would be able to make any "comment" on this at this time if there's something to it. I'll wait and see if anything is publicly said or announced before I call him.

2 minutes ago, SJA said:

Was thinking about calling Joe and asking him personally. Not sure if he would be able to make any "comment" on this at this time if there's something to it. I'll wait and see if anything is publicly said or announced before I call him.

If anyone on earth would know, Joe would .... and when HE blocks out the "W", .... something is going on.   Call him! ;) 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Mister B said:

I was thinking that maybe they are using Team Wendy pads or even Razzer's harness. In that case, it wouldn't be a stock WVG and can't be shown as one. 

No, that can't be it, B... Several umpires use Golds and Platinums that have been specifically retrofitted with Team Wendy pad-jobs, of course back when TW still offered that service. Additionally, @Razzer has supplied several harnesses to MLB Umpires (I can't say who), but when Ray has proffered his harnesses to all of MLBU, they balked at the suggestion (Ray has details that are his choice to divulge, if ever).

Money's behind it (isn't it always?), and there's this weird Ven diagram balancing act between MLBU, their Insurance underwriters (attorneys), and Wilson. A great example of this is regarding the tightness / looseness of a mask. MLB Umpires (MLB guys specifically) are directed encouraged to not wear their masks loosely, because if the mask is knocked off (like we want it to be), then that implies a mask failure, and improper use / configuration... and isn't (easily) covered by the insurance underwriter.

... but the displaying of the Big Gold W on the CP has been buoying Wilson for the last 15 years, and with CPs, it's not such a crucial insurance line-item. No, this smacks more of someone opening a check book linking back to an account in Maryland (hint! hint! UA's HQ is in Maryland), and poising the pen over the check, waiting for the MLBU to say how many Zeros to write.

That's my guess.

I can't remember which MLB game it was, I am almost sure it was an A's v Rangers game early in the week, but the PU had black TWs WITHOUT the TW logo blacked out.. Maybe Wilson stopped giving freebies out for the final year, so the umpires stopped caring about blacking out competitors, and maybe even some are purposely blacking out Wilson to send a message???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry guys, things have been hectic around here last couple of days. Anyway, just now got off the phone with Joe. MLB is having a dispute with Wilson on some issues so MLB has directed that Umps will cover the "W" out on the vests until resolved. Might be some NEW changes in the works also, but can't comment any further at this time. 

Thanks for your patience!

SJA :-)

• Like 6

11 hours ago, SJA said:

MLB is having a dispute with Wilson on some issues so MLB has directed that Umps will cover the "W" out on the vests until resolved.

I can think of a few “issues”:

”Do you have anything new to show us for your ‘Exclusive Supplier’ status?”

”What technical proof do you have that Titanium is ‘dangerous’ or ‘unsafe’ to use?”

”Do you have a one-piece helmet (ie. HSM) that will fit Gary Cederstrom’s head? If not, why did you terminate the one model that (kinda) did?”

”Where has all that money that you’ve reaped in from North American amateur umpires actually gone to, because it doesn’t look like it’s been invested in improving your gear catalog for umpires?”

”Why are DynaLite Aluminum welds popping? Why aren’t you willingly recalling or replacing them?”

”Why do Gold and Platinum shinguards require such big-@$$ Plate pant leg openings?”

”Why does my Gold (or Platinum) CP feel like a soggy ol’ couch after a game or two?”

• Like 2