Rain!

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2202 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

Yep, snowing here too now. Not sticking thankfully, but this weather isn't helping the fields dry out any. Sigh. :(

Got a text an hour ago asking if I wanted to do a game today, a team wants to play lmao. 5 mins later I got a text they changed their mind:eek:

You can bunt for a HR with these winds!

I know... it's funny.  I get a cancellation from one team, then an Assignor sees I'm free in Arbiter so they book me... but then just a short time later, that team cancels too.     Judging by all the emails I have seen here lately, I'm starting to think there's an umpire shortage in my area.   I have a lot of games with just me on my schedule at this point.

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Amen!   I've lost 14 of 17 so far this year. 

I've lost count. Been on the field 5 times. Should have been at least 20 after this week. Friday looks bad, Saturday morning is on turf and forecast says "chilly with 1-3" of snow."....enough :banghead:

• Thanks 1

I see some lucky guys. I think there are only 3 fields IN MAINE being played on. One D-1 and two D-3 schools with turf. Luck would have it that the all 3 of these fields are basically local for me. I actually had a double header rained out the other day. Our assignor has switched to check arbiter daily to see if you have a game. Have 2 on Sunday - looks sunny and 40 degrees. We will go.

Apparently the HS are trying to get on these fields for scrimmages, but the colleges aren't really giving them up due to other sports being on them.

I'm in NW Indiana (used to be in Columbus, but didn't umpire). I'm 10/19 so far. Thursday, we did a DH, and it was 35 and snowing. My feet got wet and cold, I couldn't feel 2 of my toes until after I was home for an hour.

19 hours ago, umpstu said:

95 and sunny here.

Shuttup. :mad:

DH Friday got cancelled (and I was happy about this, on my drive home it was 18 and 20+ mph winds).

Saturday youth DH got cancelled, but got another call to work a small tourney about an hour further away. It was cold (high was 42) and there was a little snow in the shadows (but none between the foul lines). We had about 2 hours of "this really isn't too bad" when the wind had calmed down and the sun was out. The last game, my partner gave me crap about keeping my hands in my pockets when on the bases - yes, I know it's not "professional" but I quite frankly didn't care.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Shuttup. :mad:

DH Friday got cancelled (and I was happy about this, on my drive home it was 18 and 20+ mph winds).

Saturday youth DH got cancelled, but got another call to work a small tourney about an hour further away. It was cold (high was 42) and there was a little snow in the shadows (but none between the foul lines). We had about 2 hours of "this really isn't too bad" when the wind had calmed down and the sun was out. The last game, my partner gave me crap about keeping my hands in my pockets when on the bases - yes, I know it's not "professional" but I quite frankly didn't care.

I've umpired in below freezing weather and it sucks.  Hands in pockets in cold weather is perfectly fine with me, especially if you can make safe and out calls with your feet.