The Ump hard shell chest protector

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2170 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Picked one of these up today.  I should get by Friday. It intrigues me.

Anyone have experience with one?

I think Ray/Razzer may have had something about it on his page, I’ll have to go find it.

Thanks 

B7D09600-30B4-431D-A4F1-CFD374E2259C.jpeg

60AC136C-5781-432F-9174-314DDE3D4E2C.jpeg

I have serviced a few of them..I also own one that had to be converted.

They strapping is terrible and will need to be replaced or a harness added.

Overall this is a solif CP and very confortable to wear

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Razzer said:

I have serviced a few of them..I also own one that had to be converted.

They strapping is terrible and will need to be replaced or a harness added.

Overall this is a solif CP and very confortable to wear

Yes, that was it. I went and found it on your FB page (Ump Life).    I'll have to get with you to get an idea of how much to convert it.  I only have $25 in it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

A buddy of mine uses this CP and loves it.

He does baseball in it, right?  It looks pretty simple and comfortable, I should have it by this weekend I hope.

He does baseball in it, right?  It looks pretty simple and comfortable, I should have it by this weekend I hope.

Yes, he uses it in all his games, including college.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MadMax said:

@wolfe_man... why didn’t you say so? I would have finished modifying it and sent it along!

81CD6BCD-5EE2-44C1-B312-F7CE8F834453.jpeg.0364dc3056560720119f622a67dfb691.jpeg

As the dearly departed Steve Irwin would say, “Ain’t she’a’ beyoooty?!”

@KenBAZ actually used this thing!

Is this the same thing?  I've wondered about these in the past. I thought the one picture was an old soft catcher's type protector though?

Same concept, different producer. At first blush, it looks and feels like a training armor that police use for hand-to-hand, or jujitsu sparring. But hey, it has “Ump30” on it!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Same concept, different producer. At first blush, it looks and feels like a training armor that police use for hand-to-hand, or jujitsu sparring. But hey, it has “Ump30” on it!

Yes, I see the similarities.  Mine is more prestigious as it says "THE Ump".... LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did some mods to this CP.   Here's how it turned out below.

Added two buckles on front of CP (had one strap and buckle all the way around prior) and I added a 4 point harness setup (prior straps were permanently sewn and riveted in place).

My son modeled it for me.  He's 13, about 5-6 and maybe 180 lbs.  I'm 5-11 and about 240 and it fits me just as well and covers my ribs. The only area I see where a ball might find me is the upper arms. 

What I really like is how low profile it is, from the side it's very close and only maybe 1/2" wide. No huge shoulder pads either, but yet it is hard shell and has a semi-floating chest piece over the heart.

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I did some mods to this CP. I'm 5-11 and about 240 and it fits me just as well and covers my ribs. The only area I see where a ball might find me is the upper arms. 

What I really like is how low profile it is, from the side it's very close and only maybe 1/2" wide. No huge shoulder pads either, but yet it is hard shell and has a semi-floating chest piece over the heart.

Wahoo! Bring on the barrage youth ball!

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

Wahoo! Bring on the barrage youth ball!

I'm going to try it this week maybe in HS ball.... might wait until Babe Ruth though instead. We'll see.

The hard shell is at least as thick as my Wilson/Douglas/Schutt were/are.

12 hours ago, umpstu said:

Do not challenge MadMax. Ever. lol

No no, Stu, I’m a mere tinkerer compared to the likes of @Razzer. Ray has probably had both The Ump and the Cooper Ump30 on his workbench, at a time when I was still trying to solve problems with LEGOs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2