Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
jjskitours

On deck batter

My objection is that if your in HS and your not ready to hit without practicing off of a tee, then you might not be ready to hit period.  The on deck circle is way too late to think about practicing.  It's kind of like a coach running down hitting advice while his batter is in the box.  It's too late then, when you get in the box, you react, way too late to coach.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
1 hour ago, catsbackr said:

My objection is that if your in HS and your not ready to hit without practicing off of a tee, then you might not be ready to hit period.  The on deck circle is way too late to think about practicing.  It's kind of like a coach running down hitting advice while his batter is in the box.  It's too late then, when you get in the box, you react, way too late to coach.

It's just a way to stay on top of your mechanics.

It was very common for my players to hit off a tee while they were in the hole, or other points during a game, right up to 18 years old.  And the best teams we ever played against did it too, when the facilities could accommodate it.   Provincial champs.  State champs.  National champs.   

I would not want them doing that while on deck, simply because I don't want them holding up the game, so I would never suggest or request what as asked in the OP for an on deck batter - ie. let them practice behind the dugout, rather than be in the on deck circle.   But the notion of wanting to get some reps in shortly before an at bat, or any time during a game, is quite common, and has nothing to do with lack of skill or not being ready - it's about optimizing preparedness.  MLB players go into the clubhouse during the game to get reps in - sometimes off a tee, sometimes in a cage with someone throwing - especially if they've picked up on something they want to fix.

You've never seen an NFL place kicker hitting into the net mere seconds before they're going on the field to attempt a field goal?   Repetition Repetition Repetition.

Frankly, what do you think they're doing in the on deck circle - stretching? Calisthenics?  They're practicing.  They're working on mechanics.  They're visualizing.  They're working on timing.  It's all part of the process.