Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
UmpCast_Wes

Rain, Cold, and Questionable Field Conditions

For our next episode of UmpCast, we are going to be talking about doing games in rain, in cold weather, and handling questionable field conditions.  We wanted to ask you guys what some of the questionable field conditions are that you've had in your games (bases too short, mound off center, etc.) and how you've handled them?  Who knows, we may end up featuring some of the answers on the show!  We will be recording the episode Sunday, April 1st on Facebook Live at 8:00 PM CST.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

This wasn’t when I was umpiring but when I was playing high school ball here in the St. Louis area. First game of the year... around 32 degrees out... a light but steady snow falling. We start jogging out towards right field to warm up and there is a small pond in right field. About 20’-30’ across and at least ankle deep. We were told it would be a 2 base award if the ball went in there. I just asked why in the hell are we playing...

Up here snow flurries and snow banks being used as out of play lines are common through April. Working some of these games can give one a different perspective on what the phrase "balls in" means.

• Haha 2

If all agree, we are playing, or not. If all don't agree, democracy rules!  If im PU with the deciding vote, I rule first based on player safety, then on OUR safety as officials. 

I'm not sure playing conditions and field requirements are the same thing.  I'm not asking for a field survey before the start of a game.  

IMO that's up to the state.  

When field conditions may be questionable! I show up early and walk the field and get opinions from those who matter, before I get geared up.  

4 hours ago, Tborze said:

I'm not sure playing conditions and field requirements are the same thing.  I'm not asking for a field survey before the start of a game.

You're right that they aren't the same.  We are aiming for a more general overview of things that could make the field "less than ideal."  Some of those things you have to make a decision as to if the game can be played on that field.  Other times things are able to be fixed prior to game start or during the game when it's noticed.  While cold doesn't necessarily affect the field itself, we want to address that because some areas are still pretty cold.  This upcoming episode seemed like the best fit for it.

A bit late but:

• Lines not straight.
  • Second base is off in space
  • Rubber is not in line with the plate
  • Home plate sticking up so sliding could be an issue.
  • Broken fence in dead center with police tape in its place

I coach pitch 5 days after it rained field was pure mud behind the mound.  We put some flat soccer cones I had and agreed anything in that area was dead and an automatic single.

13 minutes ago, LVUmp34 said:

Home plate sticking up.... Broken fence....

I would not cut corners on potential safety issues.

23 hours ago, LRZ said:

I would not cut corners on potential safety issues.

I agree 100%. I had home team address the plate.

The fence was another issue. I wasn't the umpire for that just watched a friend's son pitch.

When it comes to safety I really don't joke around, in any sport.