Greetings from PA

LVUmp34
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2158 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello Everyone!

I am currently a US Soccer Coach, Referee and Assignor, but decided to get back into baseball as well.  I started umpiring when I was 12, making $5.00 a game on the bases for little league.  I had officiated everything except Legion and Connie Mack and stopped after 16 years.

My first game is coming up this weekend and yeah I have the jitters! 

Is there anything I am missing to start off my career from the list below? I know I have to add some things but to start I thought I have a good list.

Traditional Mask with throat extension (I only liked the hockey style ones when I actually played hockey)

Shinguards

Chest Protector

Combo Pants

Ball Bag (I only use one and I always wore it on my non dominant side)

Indicator(s) and plate brushes

Note pads for rosters, etc.

Plate shoes ( I never wore them but since I broke my foot in a non sports related injury, I thought it was time)

Base shoes

Short sleeve shirts with numbers

Pants

Hats

Cup

Rulebooks

Extra shoelaces

Bug spray

Sun tan lotion

Advil/ Tylanol

Pocket sewing kit (I payed attention in Home Ec)

NASO insurance

If you're from the Bethlehem area, you'll need long sleeves or a jacket this weekend! Gloves. A shoe brush and polish, for that professional look. You don't mention pens/pencils, but I assume they go along with the note pad.

Check in with conbo61 and kstrunk, both BUA members and active here.

Oh, and welcome to the site.

Thank you.

Yep. I have a bunch of writing materials. I'm not working this weekend. First game is next week. I won't have long sleeves with numbers in time. I will have to suck it up for a bit. 

Yeah the local umps were very supportive when I was voted in as a new member.  

1 hour ago, softballump0421 said:

Greetings from the Lehigh Valley, PA area. I had my 2nd game of the year today and it was quite chilly out, but thankfully there was no snow out on the field.

0421?

1 hour ago, softballump0421 said:

Greetings from the Lehigh Valley, PA area. I had my 2nd game of the year today and it was quite chilly out, but thankfully there was no snow out on the field.

Thank you. My games were cancelled so I filled them with soccer. Out in shorts today was a bit chilly. 

2 hours ago, softballump0421 said:

0421 is my birthday.........I bet it was cold on the legs there LVUmp34.......I was freezing all game and we went 9 innings.

3 hours ago, LVUmp34 said:

Thank you. My games were cancelled so I filled them with soccer. Out in shorts today was a bit chilly. 

JV plate this afternoon in Bethlehem.

It got nicer as the game wore on.

9 hours ago, conbo61 said:

JV plate this afternoon in Bethlehem.

It got nicer as the game wore on.

Standing still behind the plate must have been cold. My hands were freezing. My legs were surprisingly ok. 

All games I assigned out for today were cancelled because of the fields being unplayable. Next weekend doesn't look any better. More weather on the way.