Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
FleasOf1000Camels

Quiz for today March 28

Question

FED rules (tho I believe OBR would be same)  2 out, 2-2 count, runners at 1st and 3rd.

Batter swings and misses at strike three in the dirt, and pitch goes all the way to backstop.  R3 scores easily, and BR reaches 1st before F2's throw.  Everything seems pretty simple, right?

Not quite so easy...dipstick R1 never ran.  He's just standing there, about 5-6 steps from 1st.  After F3 catches throw from F2, he walks over and tags R1.

Does R3's run count?  I ruled NO, and had no trouble selling it. But after the game my partner tells me he thinks I was wrong.

9 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

FED rules (tho I believe OBR would be same)  2 out, 2-2 count, runners at 1st and 3rd.

Batter swings and misses at strike three in the dirt, and pitch goes all the way to backstop.  R3 scores easily, and BR reaches 1st before F2's throw.  Everything seems pretty simple, right?

Not quite so easy...dipstick R1 never ran.  He's just standing there, about 5-6 steps from 1st.  After F3 catches throw from F2, he walks over and tags R1.

Does R3's run count?  I ruled NO, and had no trouble selling it. But after the game my partner tells me he thinks I was wrong.

Well, since the 3rd out was a force out...

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

@FleasOf1000Camels

Good call!

If it were a quiz, you should have stopped at "before F2's throw", and asked something like, "how does R3 not score"?  

@ least you know now what partners not to go to for a rules question;)

55 minutes ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

But after the game my partner tells me he thinks I was wrong.

He thinks a force out can be recorded only by tagging the runner's advance base, and not by tagging the runner before he reaches that base.

He's wrong.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, maven said:

He thinks a force out can be recorded only by tagging the runner's advance base, and not by tagging the runner before he reaches that base.

He's wrong.

Actually, that was NOT his reason for disagreeing.  He kept wanting to make it 2 separate plays.   

28 minutes ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

Actually, that was NOT his reason for disagreeing.  He kept wanting to make it 2 separate plays.   

Yeah, he's wrong about that too.   I guess the question to him is whether or not he would require F3 to tag R1, or allow a throw to F6 to touch second base for the out.   It's a force play with all the standard force play rules.   Which is why F2 can simply step on home with bases loaded, two out and D3K.

It's the exact reason why D3K doesn't apply with first base occupied under two outs, because the catcher would otherwise be able to create a force play and get two or three easy outs.

If he recognized those principles he would realize his mistake.

6 hours ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

Does R3's run count? 

Good quiz question. If this found it's way onto a NJ re certification test, the answer choices would be..

a. R3's run scores, BR declared out on proper appeal

b. This is a time play

c. This is a force play, R3 scores

d. both b and c

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

Good quiz question. If this found it's way onto a NJ re certification test, the answer choices would be..

b. This is a time play

d. both b and c

Now you're getting the NJ hang of it!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

The FED definitions include (iirc) PLAY as (paraphrased) "a unit of action that begins when the pitcher has the ball and continues until the pitcher next has the ball on the mound"

b. This is a time play
d. both b and c

And I wouldn't even be surprised...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.