Poly spandex in MLB?

sd181612
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2112 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have a (unconfirmed) hunch that everybody involved in the uniforms for MLB are waiting until 2019 (next year). This year is Majestic’s swan song, and if you read the articles, they’re going out with a whole bunch of fanfare, having assembled uniform packages for all the in-season “holidays”, events, and specials. Of course, they’re working in conjunction with New Era (hats) and other companies, and on the Umpire aspect, Wilson is once again putting a fresh coat of lip gloss on the 15+ year old pig.

You might see a few crews in PolySpandex, or you will likely see crews in Polywools, but the common thread here is – no one’s going to launch or fund any initiative when the megalith-that-is UnderArmour is looming on the horizon, fully set to comprehensively revamp everything.

In regards to pants / slacks, UnderArmour is (very very) likely to trot out their golf slacks, in a cut that is modern, athletic, and flattering (say goodnight, pleating). The polo might endure, but I can easily see it supplemented in colors beyond Black and Sky Blue. Look for BU shirts to lack pockets, and to be exceptionally form-flattering. Look for PU shirts to have portals on the flanks for venting and access to the CP so cooling elements can be inserted. And, keep a weather-eye on the cut and shape of the PU polo, as it will be styled to fit an All-Star System 7 CP, in all its contoured glory, instead of the hulking, lumbering, bloated sofa cushion with plates that is a Wilson CP.

Why All-Star? UnderArmour has a working partnership with them.

We may see more jackets. We may see a variety of footwear... while I would hate to see New Balance driven out of baseball, they certainly will have to try to cohabitate with UnderArmour on the Umpire mannequin. At least New Balance has demonstrated they are able to adapt and adopt new technologies and styles to keep up with the two-now-three heavyweights (Nike, Adidas, and now UA).

... which cannot be said for Wilson. Or any of the “traditional” baseball companies, for that matter. Getting back to pants, what difference is it going to make what quality they are or who stitched them or whether or not they have pleating or an expander waistband or what-have-you when UA is going to have a style/cut of “golf” slacks out on racks in sporting goods stores to buy any time any where? Won’t even need to hem them! Of course allllll the amateur umpires will want ‘em because the Big Leaguers have ‘em, and we’ll have an epic standoff between the association hardliners (old farts, who don’t want to buy new pants) and the new generations of umpires.

Companies like Smitty, Davis and Cliff Keen are going to have to adapt – in a hurry – to whatever style UA introduces to baseball next year, and in the coming years. The Future is here, boys.

16 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I have a (unconfirmed) hunch that everybody involved in the uniforms for MLB are waiting until 2019 (next year). This year is Majestic’s swan song, and if you read the articles, they’re going out with a whole bunch of fanfare, having assembled uniform packages for all the in-season “holidays”, events, and specials. Of course, they’re working in conjunction with New Era (hats) and other companies, and on the Umpire aspect, Wilson is once again putting a fresh coat of lip gloss on the 15+ year old pig.

You might see a few crews in PolySpandex, or you will likely see crews in Polywools, but the common thread here is – no one’s going to launch or fund any initiative when the megalith-that-is UnderArmour is looming on the horizon, fully set to comprehensively revamp everything.

In regards to pants / slacks, UnderArmour is (very very) likely to trot out their golf slacks, in a cut that is modern, athletic, and flattering (say goodnight, pleating). The polo might endure, but I can easily see it supplemented in colors beyond Black and Sky Blue. Look for BU shirts to lack pockets, and to be exceptionally form-flattering. Look for PU shirts to have portals on the flanks for venting and access to the CP so cooling elements can be inserted. And, keep a weather-eye on the cut and shape of the PU polo, as it will be styled to fit an All-Star System 7 CP, in all its contoured glory, instead of the hulking, lumbering, bloated sofa cushion with plates that is a Wilson CP.

We may see more jackets. We may see a variety of footwear... while I would hate to see New Balance driven out of baseball, they certainly will have to try to cohabitate with UnderArmour on the Umpire mannequin. At least New Balance has demonstrated they are able to adapt and adopt new technologies and styles to keep up with the two-now-three heavyweights (Nike, Adidas, and now UA).

... which cannot be said for Wilson. Or any of the “traditional” baseball companies, for that matter. Getting back to pants, what difference is it going to make what quality they are or who stitched them or whether or not they have pleating or an expander waistband or what-have-you when UA is going to have a style/cut of “golf” slacks out on racks in sporting goods stores to buy any time any where? Won’t even need to hem them! Of course allllll the amateur umpires will want ‘em because the Big Leaguers have ‘em, and we’ll have an epic standoff between the association hardliners (old farts, who don’t want to buy new pants) and the new generations of umpires.

Companies like Smitty, Davis and Cliff Keen are going to have to adapt – in a hurry – to whatever style UA introduces to baseball next year, and in the coming years. The Future is here, boys.

I like pleated pants. Have been wearing them in civilian wear since the late 70's, when Dockers came out. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I can’t wait to see what’s in stock for us...

I have been wearing the Davis combo for years and love them. Especially the stretch fit waste band. Unfortunately, they have faded with time and I am in need for a new pair.  Any recommendations for pants that are comparable to the Davis'?

@umpstu I too prefer pleated pants. But then again, never wore anything but. 

@MadMax are the polys good in cold weather?  I can't see a golf pant keeping the cold out, without Long Johns. 

@sd181612 I recall seeing on Davis' web site that they were the official pants of MLB. I could be wrong. 

On Davis' website, the polyspandex look blue.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tborze said:

I have been wearing the Davis combo for years and love them. Especially the stretch fit waste band. Unfortunately, they have faded with time and I am in need for a new pair.  Any recommendations for pants that are comparable to the Davis'?

@umpstu I too prefer pleated pants. But then again, never wore anything but. 

@MadMax are the polys good in cold weather?  I can't see a golf pant keeping the cold out, without Long Johns. 

@sd181612 I recall seeing on Davis' web site that they were the official pants of MLB. I could be wrong. 

On Davis' website, the polyspandex look blue.  

The Smitty poly spandex are charcoal grey.  I'm not sure how they are in cold weather. I live in a desert.

They are wearing them in MiLB as well as in MLB.  In MiLB the crew chief decides between the polywools or the new poly-sp[andex.  I know MLB has provided the poly-spandex to the two guys I know in MLB but I haven't heard if it was to all crews in MLB or if it's experimental stages on a crew-by-crew basis.

• Like 1

Amatuers keeping up with MLB Uniform changes every year &  Paying assignors a % of your game fees needs to come to a halt. 

Assignors should make their money off the circuit they assign for no matter the level and/or pay a game fee that has the % taken out already off the top.

Hard not to label this as extortion.

Independent contractors should be able to work for anyone without harassment from another assignig entity. Dues are understandable. But dues and %.

Come on, and now uniforms left n right every year for past couple years.  Very Painful 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AnUmpiresUmpire said:

Amatuers keeping up with MLB Uniform changes every year &  Paying assignors a % of your game fees needs to come to a halt. 

Assignors should make their money off the circuit they assign for no matter the level and/or pay a game fee that has the % taken out already off the top.

Independent contractors should be able to work for anyone without harassment from another assignig entity. Dues are understandable. But dues and %.

Come on, and now uniforms left n right every year for past couple years.  Very Painful 

I like to wear the newest uniform styles.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnUmpiresUmpire said:

I’m guessing it’s similar to the Wilson situation: “You don’t have to wear our products, but you sure as hell need to cover every other brand up with our immense logo.” 

As for the clothes, I would like to see everything from College to MLB be a “free agent” kind of thing when it comes to uniforms; if a guy wants to wear smittys vs another guy in the crew wearing Davis’, then go ahead (as long as the colors match).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnUmpiresUmpire said:

Paying assignors a % of your game fees needs to come to a halt. 

That doesn't matter (to me).

A league can pay an assigner $75 and the assigner can give the umpire $68.

Or, the league can give the umpire $75 and the umpire gives the assigner $7.

Or, the league can give the umpire $68 and give the assigner $7.

All three give the same amount to / from the three parties involved.  None is extortion.

• Like 1

@umpstu   

How does having the newest style uniform help you get your calls right?  

@noumpere  

A $75 game should be a $75 game. For example It’s very nice to see a $90 msbl game but then   months down the road when $9 is owed for that game how does that make you feel?.

Just make it a $81 game to begin with.

We all know an umpire will travel, work hard, dress accordingly for that $90. But then why does the umpire have to turn around and pay/kickback a % of their earnings to their “assignor/boss/supervisor”and if you Do Not Pay oh well you are threatened with collection agency & furthermore No more work coming your way. 

Please I ask you, tell me a legitimate business where a worker/indy contractor has to pay a % of their earnings directly to  their boss/higher command entity? On top of worker complying with local tax codes.

Also, many assignors hold funds for months in their accounts and pay umpires at a specfic date much later down the road. 

What advantageous benefits would exist for an assignor to do that? Collect interest in their accounts with a large amount of funds maybe ? That’s always a rumor that floats around. I am not a banker 

But I ask you again, what legitimate business has funds withheld from a worker/indy contractor for a lengthy period like that?

also, we are indy contractors right?

well how many of us have been scared/talked/persuaded  into not working for such and such assignor.  

I am sorry if me feeling this as extortionary actions offends you but this is not a hobby for me & my feelings are strong. I umpire every month of the year on both sides of the country. I have over 20 assigning groups on my arbiter & some that do not use arbiter at all. 

And I know what happens somewhere does not mean it happens everywhere. I am speaking from experience. If a lot of this does not pertain to you, consider yourself lucky. 

This is not out to make all assignors look bad but rather raise awareness. 

Raising awareness is where we start. 

The Ethics of assigning needs to be addressed. 

I agree with you on being able to work for others.

On the "$90 and give $9 back" you should treat it as an $81 game (I am assuming you know about the practice in advance -- if not, that's a different issue)

On the holding funds -- sometimes the assigners don't get paid until, say, half way through the season and at the end -- so they are not really "holding funds." -- again you should know this in advance.

And, if even knowing this practice offends you, then go work for someone else -- as you point out, there are other assigners.

4 hours ago, AnUmpiresUmpire said:

@umpstu   

How does having the newest style uniform help you get your calls right?  

@noumpere  

A $75 game should be a $75 game. For example It’s very nice to see a $90 msbl game but then   months down the road when $9 is owed for that game how does that make you feel?.

Just make it a $81 game to begin with.

We all know an umpire will travel, work hard, dress accordingly for that $90. But then why does the umpire have to turn around and pay/kickback a % of their earnings to their “assignor/boss/supervisor”and if you Do Not Pay oh well you are threatened with collection agency & furthermore No more work coming your way. 

Please I ask you, tell me a legitimate business where a worker/indy contractor has to pay a % of their earnings directly to  their boss/higher command entity? On top of worker complying with local tax codes.

Also, many assignors hold funds for months in their accounts and pay umpires at a specfic date much later down the road. 

What advantageous benefits would exist for an assignor to do that? Collect interest in their accounts with a large amount of funds maybe ? That’s always a rumor that floats around. I am not a banker 

But I ask you again, what legitimate business has funds withheld from a worker/indy contractor for a lengthy period like that?

also, we are indy contractors right?

well how many of us have been scared/talked/persuaded  into not working for such and such assignor.  

I am sorry if me feeling this as extortionary actions offends you but this is not a hobby for me & my feelings are strong. I umpire every month of the year on both sides of the country. I have over 20 assigning groups on my arbiter & some that do not use arbiter at all. 

And I know what happens somewhere does not mean it happens everywhere. I am speaking from experience. If a lot of this does not pertain to you, consider yourself lucky. 

This is not out to make all assignors look bad but rather raise awareness. 

Raising awareness is where we start. 

The Ethics of assigning needs to be addressed. 

Wearing the new uniform styles has what to do with the calls?  I just said I like to wear the newest styles.  Why is that an issue?  I think an issue is the umpire who bought 20 going out of business shirts fifteen years ago and now refuses to get anything closely resembling up to date.  The umpire who has the opinion that our shoes should always be all black.  Still wears the Dalco button up shirts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1