Use 1st names

millerforrest67
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2088 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2018 at 10:49 PM, ElkOil said:

What do you tell people to call you? "Blue?" "Ump?" "Mister LRZ?" It's interesting to me that you're more comfortable with someone calling you generic titles instead of your own name that you've had your whole life. In my chapter they emphasize being approachable to high school players and coaches since the endeavor is primarily an educational one and we're there to officiate and help when we can. I introduce myself to everyone with my first name, though they rarely remember it. I'm with @Richvee and feel it's refreshing when they do. But as a matter of positive social interaction, like anywhere else in my life, I introduce myself by name.  Whether anyone uses it or not is a different story.

While it wasn't a player, it made my day when a pitching coach remembered my name and asked a question respectfully after the bottom of the 4th.  The pitching coach was Phil Niekro, so that didn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1