Adams XV-HDX received today thru hibbetts

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2025 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

7 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

Adams is making uniform shirts and convertible jackets too.

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

Haven't they been for a while?

Sure, but they’re nothing noteworthy or progressive. If anything, they’re regressive – same mesh-y pebble knit jersey material, same boring, archaic, obsolete styles and colors. The chief adversary to progress and improvement is a deep-rooted attitude of, “Well, this is the way we’ve / they’ve been doing it for the past ## years, why change?”

Well, in this here brand-new summer league, instead of supplying us with just one or two shirts of current (2016) or even recent (2010) style, they went with three old-style Adams shirts, in black, navy... and softball powder.

Yech.

It’s a real shame, because the Schutt-Adams gear has been really progressive the past few years!

Yeah, that thing has piqued my interest, too, @BT_Blue. Both the XV and LP use D3O, so one wonders why the LP was even made, and what improvements it has over the XV to warrant a nearly $50 price increase. The XV is already an outstanding and feature-filled unit, especially with its Flex-style harness. Unfortunately, the LP looks like it regressed back to a disc-yoke harness (the same thing Wilson uses on WestVests).

If we consider the two CP’s origins, we might start to see why the Schutt/Adams partnership is producing these models side by side. The XV came out of Schutt’s AiR Flex football shoulder pads line, with Schutt taking most of the carapace parts from the shoulder pads and teaming them with an open-lattice foam called Brock Beads. This was present in the both the AiR Flex I and II, and these CP models were largely subsidized by Schutt’s far more lucrative presence in football.

It was football’s need that propelled Schutt to invest in D3O, first to employ in its football helmets, then on to shoulderpads. Most gel foams and memory foams participate in a complex equation involving volume, resistance, and temperature (heat). This can be glossed over in most shoulderpads, but cannot be compromised in football helmets. So the big advantage to D3O is that it offers the same resistance as open cell or open-lattice foam at one-third to one-fourth the volume, with no increase in density or weight, and it doesn’t depreciate in (most) hot environments.

Now, I told you all this to touch on – I think Schutt is separating itself from batsports gear so as to promote to football. Adams may be taking up that mantle, especially when it comes to softball. Indeed, the new LP has its origins in those shirt-like soft CPs that most of us scoff at and ascribe to softball umpires. Hey, softball umpires are people, too, and they, more than most of us baseball umpires, do not want to encumbered or burdened by bulky, bloated, or heavy gear unnecessarily.

So this LP is targeted directly at those umpires who call games, at a variety of skill levels, in environments where ventilation is paramount, and would otherwise compromise and get a “soft shell”, such as a Diamond, Champro, or any of the second-tier manufacturers.

I’d be willing to try a (Schutt/)Adams LP out in a MiLB or College game to evaluate it, based on that I already have a proven unit in the XV... but I wouldn’t be willing to pay that price tag on it while, as I said, I have a proven unit already.

Agreed. And it doesnt look to have the breathability the XV or HDX has. Cut that price tag by 30-40%, we will talk. But at the cost of a West Vest and just below a System7. That might be a bit to much for me.

I have seen this up close and personal

https://www.baseballmonkey.com/equipment/homerun-umpire-equipment/homerun-umpire-chest-protectors/adams-baseball-umpire-chest-protector.html

It's only $70, same price as the XV.  So I cant explain the price differential.

it's basically perforated soft foam with perforated hard plastic plates for flexibility.  It's kinda on the larger size, width wise.  But considering it's essentially the same price a a XV, I passed.

I’ve had a chance to wear the XV HDX a few times now. First thing I did was take off the bicep protectors and belly extension.Overall, this is a very good protector. And for $72, it’s an absolute steal. My only critique is, for me, it’s a bit too wide, but in no way does it affect anything. It’s very comfortable, and will serve very well as a backup to my primary. If you are in the market for a new vest, I highly recommend it for any level. 

• Like 1

I wear the HDX as my main CP now.  I was wearing a Gold L/XL and this is every bit as good. The protection is excellent as I've taken several hits and didn't feel any pain (just like the Gold).  You feel the bump/pressure from the hit and then nothing.  No lasting pain or anything and no bruising at all. 

The CP is a bit wide if you leave the wings on, so I recommend removing those for a better fit.  I also removed the bicep pads and stomach extension - only to catch one in the gut where it would have been had I left it there!   Twice!  (Side note: I was getting lazy in my stance - since corrected.)

I'm still using the stock harness and it works very well.  It's no RayFlex/UL, but much better than any other CP harness in existence - with the possible exception of maybe a DeltaFlex.

When you add the comfort of this CP, the harness upgrade, the breath-ability due to the holes in the plates and padding, and then finally the fair price point - I don't think you'll find a better CP out there.

Two thumbs up!:2cents:

• Like 3

Question for all you guys who have the XV/HDX:

For the STOCK harness, on the straps for two side clips, did those have the rectangular "adjuster" for the strap to thread back through, like on the two shoulder straps? Mine didn't come with any adjusters. Without them, I can't figure out for the life of me how the side clips would attach and stay in place. Are these supposed to be there, or does this harness not have them? 

The adjuster I'm talking about is circled in the first pic. The strap loops through a D-ring on the shoulder, then threads back through the adjuster.

The second pic shows this adjuster on a similar harness .It seems like the side straps on the XV/HDX would need the same thing. Without them, the side clips slide up and down the strap freely and won't stay in place. HELP!

XV.JPG

clip.JPG

27 minutes ago, BretMan said:

Question for all you guys who have the XV/HDX:

For the STOCK harness, on the straps for two side clips, did those have the rectangular "adjuster" for the strap to thread back through, like on the two shoulder straps? Mine didn't come with any adjusters. Without them, I can't figure out for the life of me how the side clips would attach and stay in place. Are these supposed to be there, or does this harness not have them? 

The adjuster I'm talking about is circled in the first pic. The strap loops through a D-ring on the shoulder, then threads back through the adjuster.

The second pic shows this adjuster on a similar harness .It seems like the side straps on the XV/HDX would need the same thing. Without them, the side clips slide up and down the strap freely and won't stay in place. HELP!

XV.JPG

clip.JPG

I do not have it on my MaXV. And i can't recall if it had it in the first place. So 8 would say, if threaded correctly though the t-hook. You don't need it.

I've replaced a few harnesses before, but without these adjusters I can't see how you'd secure the side clips. I tried every combination of over/around/through. Nothing seemed to work. The clips will freely slide up and down the strap, so you can't adjust the length and lock it in.

PS: The t-hook picture above is from a Wilson harness. The t-hook has three slots in it to thread the strap through and that pretty much locks it in place. The plastic clips on the XV/HDX only have two slots to thread the strap through.

@BretMan, you’re lacking and looking for pieces called “triglides” or “ladderlocs”. I’ve found them at certain Ace Hardwares, most Tractor Supply Company stores, Cabela’s, REI, or any place that makes or sells harnesses, packs, gear bags, etc. You’re going to need a 1.5”. 

I routinely buy these in 50 or 100 -count packages off eBay or Amazon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MadMax said:

@BretMan, you’re lacking and looking for pieces called “triglides” or “ladderlocs”....

Thanks, Max. But I'm still wondering if this harness is supposed to come with them or if they're just missing. And, if it doesn't come with them...how in the blue blazes are the clips supposed to thread on???

3 minutes ago, BretMan said:

Thanks, Max. But I'm still wondering if this harness is supposed to come with them or if they're just missing. And, if it doesn't come with them...how in the blue blazes are the clips supposed to thread on???

My guess is that they probably do and that you either misplaced them. Or didn't have then to start with for some reason.

Soooooo can someone take a picture wearing this monster? I’m real interested in the width problem some people are having. I’m a “skinny” 215. Meaning 34” waist and size 44 jacket. So I’ve had a hell of a time finding something that doesn’t look like I’m wearing a shipping crate on my chest. I’ve heavily modified a champion, but let’s face it, it’s only a matter of time before those cheap plates shatter.

That’s a fair request, @Jbpump15. I’m 6’2”, 210-215 (damn fluctuating road weight), and wear a 44 jacket too. I’ll get you some photos of me wearing it with and without an umpire shirt over it. 

2 minutes ago, MadMax said:

That’s a fair request, @Jbpump15. I’m 6’2”, 210-215 (damn fluctuating road weight), and wear a 44 jacket too. I’ll get you some photos of me wearing it with and without an umpire shirt over it. 

You’re the best!

On 7/8/2018 at 3:11 PM, MadMax said:

Yeah, that thing has piqued my interest, too, @BT_Blue. Both the XV and LP use D3O, so one wonders why the LP was even made, and what improvements it has over the XV to warrant a nearly $50 price increase.

@MadMax, I just got a XV and nowhere on the unit could I find any sort of tag showing the padding is D3O.  I suspect, it's just a generic EVA foam.  Regarding the  LP, see attached photos.  It seems to be it would be more of a softball oriented CP, possibly lower lever baseball.  The padding isn't very thick or dense.  The plastic is not very thick either.  For the same price as a XV, it does not seem to be a good value.

front.jpg

back.jpg

shoulder.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 4:10 PM, BT_Blue said:

I do not have it on my MaXV. And i can't recall if it had it in the first place. So 8 would say, if threaded correctly though the t-hook. You don't need it.

I just received my HDX today and it does have these.

Now I'm wondering if I should modify it at all or leave it stock.