Adams XV-HDX received today thru hibbetts

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2025 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

13 hours ago, MikeSafari said:

I just received my HDX today and it does have these.

Now I'm wondering if I should modify it at all or leave it stock.

Thanks! My thinking was that you MUST have these to properly attach the side clips. I guess that they are just missing on mine, straight out of the box.

3 hours ago, BretMan said:

Thanks! My thinking was that you MUST have these to properly attach the side clips. I guess that they are just missing on mine, straight out of the box.

To attach? No. To secure? Yes, very much so. It is entirely possible someone in the process omitted their inclusion on the one shipped to you.

So, you need triglides (ladderlocs). You take the harness off and remove everything from the straps. Then, you slide a triglide onto each strap. Then, you run the two upper straps through their corresponding D-rings on the shoulder arch plates, and loop them back and secure the strap by sliding it into the triglide again.

You take the side-release clips and feed the lower straps through them, and loop them back to be secured by the triglides on the lower straps. Adjust as necessary.

I just got mine as well and no ladderlocs on the lower straps. Not a big deal.

This CP is made to fit a wider person. I'm 5'9"  and 180 pounds. and I had to work to get it to fit me the way I'd like. I removed the belly protector as well as the rib wings, and biceps. then I pushed the shoulders way under. Probably needs some heat and moulding, but I'll get there. We'll see how it handles a hit. My old V-Sport had memory foam encases in vinyl, so it took a hit really well, but it was really hot. I'll see if I can get some photos later this week.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:42 PM, BretMan said:

Question for all you guys who have the XV/HDX:

For the STOCK harness, on the straps for two side clips, did those have the rectangular "adjuster" for the strap to thread back through, like on the two shoulder straps? Mine didn't come with any adjusters. Without them, I can't figure out for the life of me how the side clips would attach and stay in place. Are these supposed to be there, or does this harness not have them? 

The adjuster I'm talking about is circled in the first pic. The strap loops through a D-ring on the shoulder, then threads back through the adjuster.

The second pic shows this adjuster on a similar harness .It seems like the side straps on the XV/HDX would need the same thing. Without them, the side clips slide up and down the strap freely and won't stay in place. HELP!

XV.JPG

clip.JPG

These side clips were missing from mine as well.  Went to the fabric store and purchased some - but they were metal.  Ordered some plastic ones on Ebay for a permanent solution.

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I actually kept the harness on and used it.  Even through I had an UL harness right there ready for it.  It's actually a pretty good harness.

Yeah seems good enough for me. I'm gonna give it a go one game and then swap my UL harness on and compare. Might stick with the stock one, but we'll see.

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Here you go... $6.90 including shipping for 12 1.5" tri-glides.  This is where I normally find mine when I need/want extras...

I found them online myself. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when you buy a product, then have to spend extra money to be able to use it.

If a lot of these are slipping out without the triglides, there are going to be a lot of unsatisfied customers who can't get their new CP properly adjusted. Not a good move for an upstart company trying to establish a foothold in a new market.

For anyone that received their CP without the triglides, how exactly are you using the side clips to keep them from moving on the strap???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BretMan said:

I found them online myself. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when you buy a product, then have to spend extra money to be able to use it.

If a lot of these are slipping out without the triglides, there are going to be a lot of unsatisfied customers who can't get their new CP properly adjusted. Not a good move for an upstart company trying to establish a foothold in a new market.

Oh, I totally agree. Poor QC before shipment. I'd call Schutt/Adams and let them know yours wasn't right when you got it.  There's a good chance others are having the same issue and they need to be made aware of it so they can make it right.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I actually kept the harness on and used it.  Even though I had an UL harness right there ready for it.  It's actually a pretty good harness.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a UL harness? I know of the delta flex, wilson and Force3 but can't imagine that being an acronym for any of those. I feel like I'm going to feel stupid when you tell me the answer... :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, 42outs said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a UL harness? I know of the delta flex, wilson and Force3 but can't imagine that being an acronym for any of those. I feel like I'm going to feel stupid when you tell me the answer... :rolleyes:

Ump-life - also referred to on this forum as "Ray-flex". @Razzer makes them.

• Like 2

Chutes & Ladders, triglycerides, triceratops notwithstanding, this vest is the real deal. Compared to others on the market, it’s an absolute steal at $72. It has been a tremendously capable substitute for my Riddell. 

No, I’m not taking offers for the Riddell. I said sub not replacement. Not going to Pipp my Power!

• Like 4

Long time listener, first time caller.

I was fortunate enough to get this vest in early March right before they went out of stock.  I do approximately 45 games a year, mostly select 10U-17U with a handful of LL games thrown in for fun.  I found this CP to be a great upgrade from my old catcher's style CP.

I took several balls off the clavicle this year without incident that would have resulted in injury with my old CP.  It breathes well, and anything off the chest plate barely registers.  I wore it as is with the bicep protecters and belly pad on, which does make it a bit bulky, but not uncomfortable by any means.  My only issue was getting the harness tight enough.  I have all of the harness slides (mine were not missing) to the max tightness and by the middle of the game the harness starts to get loose.  For reference I'm 6'2", 185lbs.  

It's a solid piece of equipment.  Not sure if I'll look to get a new harness or try to rig the existing harness to get it tighter but I'll be using this CP exclusively.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 300e said:

Long time listener, first time caller.

I was fortunate enough to get this vest in early March right before they went out of stock.  I do approximately 45 games a year, mostly select 10U-17U with a handful of LL games thrown in for fun.  I found this CP to be a great upgrade from my old catcher's style CP.

I took several balls off the clavicle this year without incident that would have resulted in injury with my old CP.  It breathes well, and anything off the chest plate barely registers.  I wore it as is with the bicep protecters and belly pad on, which does make it a bit bulky, but not uncomfortable by any means.  My only issue was getting the harness tight enough.  I have all of the harness slides (mine were not missing) to the max tightness and by the middle of the game the harness starts to get loose.  For reference I'm 6'2", 185lbs.  

It's a solid piece of equipment.  Not sure if I'll look to get a new harness or try to rig the existing harness to get it tighter but I'll be using this CP exclusively.

You have a few options. One is to replace the harness with a flex style harness. Two is to figure out how to permanently get the straps to stay in place... then hope you don't loose or gain weight.

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

You have a few options. One is to replace the harness with a flex style harness. Two is to figure out how to permanently get the straps to stay in place... then hope you don't loose or gain weight.

I'm going to attempt to work with the existing harness, but a replacement harness is still a possibility.  And the only constant with regard to the weight thing seems to be change, so yeah, there's that as well right.  

25 minutes ago, 42outs said:

I tried the CP on today after tying off the straps to keep them in place and I'm concerned about collar bone protection while in my stance. Any suggestions? I will try to post a picture tonight.

Work on those shoulder plates to get them to conform to your shoulders better.  The easy way is to use a hair dryer or heat gun on low and work slowly shaping the pads to "pre-curve" to your fit. This should bring the CP up closer to your Adams' apple. 

Also, move the plastic shell up on the padding to as close as possible to the edge while still engaging the hook-n-loop velcro system. 

A combination of these two should fix your gap issue.

10 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Two is to figure out how to permanently get the straps to stay in place...

Fold them over each other, then either electrical tape or gaffer/hockey tape them in place. Works for me when I don't want excess strappage hanging around.

5 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Work on those shoulder plates to get them to conform to your shoulders better.  The easy way is to use a hair dryer or heat gun on low and work slowly shaping the pads to "pre-curve" to your fit. This should bring the CP up closer to your Adams' apple. 

Also, move the plastic shell up on the padding to as close as possible to the edge while still engaging the hook-n-loop velcro system. 

A combination of these two should fix your gap issue.

I almost forgot that I can move the shell pieces on the padding. I'm not used to it lol. That should work perfectly. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 9:48 PM, MadMax said:

That’s a fair request, @Jbpump15. I’m 6’2”, 210-215 (damn fluctuating road weight), and wear a 44 jacket too. I’ll get you some photos of me wearing it with and without an umpire shirt over it. 

But still, no pictures of anyone wearing it...