Adams XV-HDX received today thru hibbetts

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2005 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

20 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

I just saw in the description of the post it said pic and that he had got the CP.  I am looking to order one when I can find it

Here's a pic and some details from Adam's website.

Adams HDX Umpire Chest Protector.PNG

Guys, one of the umpires in my group ordered the first run of XV-HDX's, and he was using it this past weekend. If I wasn't so f£©king tired, and in a state of delirium from having been working baseball games every day/evening and bus graphics from midnight until 5AM every night as well, I would have examined it a bit more closely and perhaps even had taken photos of it to show off all the features and improvements.

As it was, I just muttered, "Oh. Nice", and remarked that he had the shoulder pauldrons mounted quite wide.

Good grief was I exhausted.

So I'll probably see this guy again on the upcoming weekend. I'll get photos this time.

@Storm13, give us a status on what you're currently using that is motivating you to get a new one, please.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Guys, one of the umpires in my group ordered the first run of XV-HDX's, and he was using it this past weekend. If I wasn't so f£©king tired, and in a state of delirium from having been working baseball games every day/evening and bus graphics from midnight until 5AM every night as well, I would have examined it a bit more closely and perhaps even had taken photos of it to show off all the features and improvements.

As it was, I just muttered, "Oh. Nice", and remarked that he had the shoulder pauldrons mounted quite wide.

Good grief was I exhausted.

So I'll probably see this guy again on the upcoming weekend. I'll get photos this time.

@Storm13, give us a status on what you're currently using that is motivating you to get a new one, please.

I have a Champion Hard Shell that I am currently using...however I took a shot to the chest area last week and it hit foam padding not the shell.  I am looking for a wider hard shell protector.  I got the WV Platinum and it seems to be wider but it is also shorter...so I am looking for something that is wider and about the same length as the Champion.

There is a very good and wide protector for sale on here by @rjdakin if you don't want to wait for one of these Adams/Schutt HDX's to become available.

It is a Douglas that's modified with shoulder gap coverage and can change from t-hooks to buckles.  These are extra wide and low profile.  15" length is more than most need (unless you're 6'4" or taller) and these are wider than average CP's for the 15" model.     $225 is a very fair price for all that he's including.   Even better if you do the deal with the shins for $325 as both CP and shins are $200 each from Douglas, plus the customizations and extra plate for t-hooks.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

There is a very good and wide protector for sale on here by @rjdakin if you don't want to wait for one of these Adams/Schutt HDX's to become available.

It is a Douglas that's modified with shoulder gap coverage and can change from t-hooks to buckles.  These are extra wide and low profile.  15" length is more than most need (unless you're 6'4" or taller) and these are wider than average CP's for the 15" model.     $225 is a very fair price for all that he's including.   Even better if you do the deal with the shins for $325 as both CP and shins are $200 each from Douglas, plus the customizations and extra plate for t-hooks.

Thanks but that is well outside my price range...I like the Adams/Schutt because of the price.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

Thanks but that is well outside my price range...I like the Adams/Schutt because of the price.

... and you should. Oh, you so should!

Why pay $150+ for something that hasn't changed or been updated in over 15 years, weighs considerably more, doesn't breathe, and is no more protective than an alternative that costs half as much??!!

#EvolveOrExpire #TheWIsn'tEverything

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeSafari said:

This thing is more difficult to find than snow in the Sahara.

Well, there’s two problems at play here:

1) Schutt is not “a baseball company”; it’s a “football first!” company, and makes most of its revenue off football gear sales and order fulfillment. Do you disappoint a few hundred amateur umpires or several thousand (perhaps a hundred thousand) football -playing youth?

2) We have increased the demand for the XV beyond what Schutt could project, prepare for, and currently supply. The kiss of death for a company is to (over)produce items and have them sit in warehouses unsold, or go unsold because the market catches wind of an improved version coming. Relative to our market, Wilson has been “getting away with it” for the past 15+ years by not changing anything, while Force3 is now experiencing a shortfall in order fulfillment because of the abrupt increase in exposure.

I’m torn... while I’d certainly like to get a brand-new XV-HDX, my current XV is still intact, does the job, and exemplifies that guys like me can do the mod ourselves and use the optimum accessory for it – @Razzer‘s ULFH “RayFlex”.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 12:13 PM, Storm13 said:

The All Star System 7 is a great rig at about $150.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2018 at 10:34 AM, grayhawk said:

The All Star System 7 is a great rig at about $150.

Ya know, I really should acknowledge and endorse this observation of yours, @grayhawk. The CPU4000 (System 7) is a great rig. It actually ticks all the boxes I'm guessing that a guy like @Storm13 is looking for, especially when it comes to the torso coverage (height) he sounds like he's after. It's already pre-countoured, it's using advanced foam laminates, placed in strategic zones with attention on ventilation channeling (that heat chimney right up the center), and has hard-shell coverage beyond the last rib.

And I admire the mods you did with it – way to engineer a solution to problem you encountered.

Keep in mind (the rest of you!) that All-Star is doing this, at $150, without any obligation to do any gear for umpires. Schutt is able to do the sub-$100 price tag on the XV because football foots the bill, while Champion doesn't have a multinational corporate body to account to. Douglas and Force3 are both made here in the USA, so their premium pricing becomes more understandable. So where does $200 get ya, Willie?

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

FYI - I don't mean to hijack this thread, but there is also a used one for sale on eBay.

Where? I can't find anything.

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

@MikeSafari, I keep trying to help. Lol

Much appreciated. I wore my old WVG on the diamond for the first time this year and was rudely reminded why I dislike it so much.

46 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Lol... I did the same a while back. Along with wearing my old pair of WV Pro shins.

HOLY GOD ARE THOSE THINGS HEAVY AND BULKY!

And I don't even feel well-protected or comfortable! I spent the whole night shimmying it around my torso trying in vain to find a position where I got both comfort and protection.

46 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Here you go...

IMG_2924.PNG

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez talk about capitalism. I'm not about to buy it for $165USD when it's ~$80 brand new. I'll wait.

• Like 1

Starting price is pretty fair actually... considering the rarity right now.  UA sells them for $89 + shipping.  Schutt Store sells them for $94 + shipping. But then, Dowdle Sports had them for $72 + shipping and another place had them for about $74 + shipping.

I doubt the Buy It Now is met, but you never know about these things - I've seen +POS sully's going for $70 here lately.  While I wouldn't do $115 personally, someone might.

The thing to consider, at least to me, is these are coming again in mid-Summer (late July/early Aug).   So, strike while the iron is hot my brother if you want to sell!

26 minutes ago, rjdakin said:

If it sells for that price. I might have to list mine. The one on Ebay has been used 5 times. I have never used mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm contemplating the same thing lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Starting price is pretty fair actually... considering the rarity right now.  UA sells them for $89 + shipping.  Schutt Store sells them for $94 + shipping. But then, Dowdle Sports had them for $72 + shipping and another place had them for about $74 + shipping.

I doubt the Buy It Now is met, but you never know about these things - I've seen +POS sully's going for $70 here lately.  While I wouldn't do $115 personally, someone might.

The thing to consider, at least to me, is these are coming again in mid-Summer (late July/early Aug).   So, strike while the iron is hot my brother if you want to sell!

It's not terrible, but again, #JustCanadianThings. It's a 30% markup right off the bat due to the currency, then duties and taxes at the border :(

This is why I was so annoyed when UA and Hibbetts sold out, because I was gonna get it shipped to a warehouse across the border in Buffalo but without that, it became kind of moot.

Sidenote: I cannot see this eBay listing at all. No matter what I search, I get zero results.

19 minutes ago, MikeSafari said:

It's not terrible, but again, #JustCanadianThings. It's a 30% markup right off the bat due to the currency, then duties and taxes at the border :(

This is why I was so annoyed when UA and Hibbetts sold out, because I was gonna get it shipped to a warehouse across the border in Buffalo but without that, it became kind of moot.

Sidenote: I cannot see this eBay listing at all. No matter what I search, I get zero results.

Yeah, that has to stink.  I was hoping to get one from Dowdle at $72 and missed out after delaying too long. They went quickly!

I still have it in my eBay Watch List.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, blue32 said:

They must be back in stock.i have one on backorder with Dowdle’s and just received shipping confirmation this morning. 

Yup, me too.....

Says shipping direct from Adams July 2nd.

• Like 1