New Base Shoes Suggestions

TravelUmp4425
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2189 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am currently in the market to replace my first umpire shoes after about 8 years of use. I have the old New Balance shoes. I am looking at either getting the new New Balance base shoes or one of the many new turf shoes that are on ump-attire.

The only reason I am looking at turf shoes is because the new New Balance shoes look like they would be a nightmare to keep clean with all that mesh on them. I have talked to a few people that have them and they say it takes a bit longer to clean them and they can't just cover it in scrubbing bubbles anymore. 

Has anyone ever used turf shoes on a dirt and grass field and if you did, how was the traction on them?

Ultimately, what would you guys recommend?

In summer ball, the fields I umpire on are not the best......to be nice.... I used to be a Mizuno fan until they went to the mesh and they just couldn't be clean....I've worn pretty much everything in between. Nike / Reebok  and New Balance.

I chose the best fit that DOES NOT have mesh........ 

These are the new turf shoes ump-attire offers. Most likely used by football officials...

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Base-Plate-Shoes/UA-TRAINER_Under-Armour-Ultimate-Turf-Trainer-Shoes

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Base-Plate-Shoes/AD-SPEED3SL_Adidas-Speed-Trainer-30-SL-Black-Silver-Field-Shoes

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Base-Plate-Shoes/T4040SK4_New-Balance-Turf-4040v4-Elements-Shoes-Black-White

The Adidas shoes look like they have zero traction at all. The Under Armour is hard to tell with the pattern. The New Balance looks similar to what the bottom of my old New Balance looks like. 

1 hour ago, Stan W. said:

In summer ball, the fields I umpire on are not the best......to be nice.... I used to be a Mizuno fan until they went to the mesh and they just couldn't be clean....I've worn pretty much everything in between. Nike / Reebok  and New Balance.

I chose the best fit that DOES NOT have mesh........ 

So what do you wear now?

I just got both the New Balance and the UA Ultimate - and also just returned the Ultimate. The New Balance have a little higher heel, which I liked. The UA was too flat for me. Also, the NB looked considerably easier to clean. Finally, the UA shoes had virtually no tread on them. If there's so much as a heavy dew out there, you may be slip sliding away.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:34 PM, Stan W. said:

But they need replaced this season.......

New-Balance-Mens-Baseball-Umpire-Low-ShoeBlackGrey11.5-D-US-4.jpg

TOO. Damned. Hot.

Here in Arizona, when it comes to base shoes, style takes a back seat to comfort. And comfort is pronounced “bree-thuh-bil-ih-tee”. You’re either a fool or a masochist if you insist on having polished, black leather shoes on a field, unable to escape the sun, in 100°+ degree heat, for one 2-hour game, let alone a tournament Saturday of 2-3 games in a row.

Ventilate. Cool your damned feet off. The coaches are all wearing mesh-based “flex” runners / trainers anyway, and do you think they respect that you’ve polished your patent leather shoes base shoes to a gleaming shine?

So, you may absolutely have your polished leather shoes, but the rest of us here in the Valley of the Sun will take a meshy-black running shoe in the meantime...

... and either knock, blow, or hose off the dust / sand that gets on or in them.

@Stan W., what size shoe are you? I have a pair of those exact New Balance 950(?)’s  in the mid-cut, size 11, and in excellent condition... that are useless to me.

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

TOO. Damned. Hot.

Here in Arizona, when it comes to base shoes, style takes a back seat to comfort. And comfort is pronounced “bree-thuh-bil-ih-tee”. You’re either a fool or a masochist if you insist on having polished, black leather shoes on a field, unable to escape the sun, in 100°+ degree heat, for one 2-hour game, let alone a tournament Saturday of 2-3 games in a row.

Ventilate. Cool your damned feet off. The coaches are all wearing mesh-based “flex” runners / trainers anyway, and do you think they respect that you’ve polished your patent leather shoes base shoes to a gleaming shine?

So, you may absolutely have your polished leather shoes, but the rest of us here in the Valley of the Sun will take a meshy-black running shoe in the meantime...

... and either knock, blow, or hose off the dust / sand that gets on or in them.

@Stan W., what size shoe are you? I have a pair of those exact New Balance 950(?)’s  in the mid-cut, size 11, and in excellent condition... that are useless to me.

Don't feel bad @MadMax. They are roasting hot for me as well here in Washington.

Also, @Stan W. I too have some NB 950s available. Only worn for around a season. 11.5 2E in low top if Max's don't work for you.

I ordered the new New Balance 4040v4 back in December. The stock ones had white in the sole. I didn’t like that. These are SO comfortable. I’m using them for cardiac rehab right now. Very light. Like moccasins on my feet. The color accents are silver gray. The soles are clear. The stock ones are just as nice. One model comes in a synthetic leather for poor weather. I’ve got game partners who have other models with mesh and have no problem cleaning them with plain water and a rag or a brush. 

9E259FE8-E5A1-450D-9176-4B524D3E9821.png

In basketball, more and more amateur officials are wearing all sorts of shoes (as long as they are mostly/all black), choosing comfort and function over style.

Why shouldn't umpires do the same, even if we don't live in places like Arizona? I'm with MadMax on this.

5 hours ago, LRZ said:

In basketball, more and more amateur officials are wearing all sorts of shoes (as long as they are mostly/all black), choosing comfort and function over style.

Why shouldn't umpires do the same, even if we don't live in places like Arizona? I'm with MadMax on this.

Word of advice from my first year back in basketball ... think about safety as well. I got a random pair of Nikes, and stepped on something on the court in early November, felt like I stepped on a Leggo. It didn't fully heal until after Christmas. I bought the Reebok Zigs, and they are so much sturdier. I don't think I would've hurt my foot in them.

6 hours ago, jlutgen0 said:

What does this mean? I put the link because I wanted legitimate feedback as to people's thoughts on the pair of shoes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Some are still upset with Adidas over a basketball officiating decision to back coaches instead of officials (if I remember correctly).   Regardless of the sport, there are some who reason if they don't back officials, then they won't buy their product.

I have the new Adidas umpire shoes and I really like the look. I am worried about the mesh being hard to clean, but they should breathe great. Also, the tread is not aggressive at all as these are turf shoes, so I'm worried about slipping on wet fields.  But, I still have my old NB in good shape if I get a "mudder" and need more traction.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, MadMax said:

TOO. Damned. Hot.

Unfortunately I'm a 9D...............I can see your need....here in W.Pa, these are perfect....

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Some are still upset with Adidas over a basketball officiating decision to back coaches instead of officials (if I remember correctly).   Regardless of the sport, there are some who reason if they don't back officials, then they won't buy their product.

I have the new Adidas umpire shoes and I really like the look. I am worried about the mesh being hard to clean, but they should breathe great. Also, the tread is not aggressive at all as these are turf shoes, so I'm worried about slipping on wet fields.  But, I still have my old NB in good shape if I get a "mudder" and need more traction.

@wolfe_man

Great reply explaining adidas.  I have those new Adidas shoes but not for umpiring although I would like to jazz up the field at times wearing mine. See pic below.

Also, I am thinking about going old school with the other pic for my "mudders".  Hahaha

5aafbdb36223c_MiamiAdidas.jpg.b02f13753ef601f15c81a640eeb0e1b2.jpg5aafbdb5c92c4_RiddellSpikes.jpg.766930cd1b95a3b4dce36ecb9a505edf.jpg

• Thanks 1