Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Jimurray

Third strike not caught by the catcher...yet.

Interesting state FED test question made me ponder a TWP what if.

No one on. Outs don't matter. Third strike is swung at and missed and hits catcher's glove and rebounds in the air to pitcher who catches it. Do you signal an uncaught 3rd strike? Can the pitcher throw the ball to the catcher for a caught third strike? Or in FED has the pitch and the opportunity for the catcher to catch it ended when it came to rest in the pitcher's glove? Can a smart pitcher juggle the ball and throw back to the catcher? What about OBR and NCAA?

Like I said, TWP, so no the smart pitcher was not smart enough to throw to 1B although in real life the batter would take off and the pitcher would throw to 1B.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Interesting state FED test question made me ponder a TWP what if.

No one on. Outs don't matter. Third strike is swung at and missed and hits catcher's glove and rebounds in the air to pitcher who catches it. Do you signal an uncaught 3rd strike? Can the pitcher throw the ball to the catcher for a caught third strike? Or in FED has the pitch and the opportunity for the catcher to catch it ended when it came to rest in the pitcher's glove? Can a smart pitcher juggle the ball and throw back to the catcher? What about OBR and NCAA?

Like I said, TWP, so no the smart pitcher was not smart enough to throw to 1B although in real life the batter would take off and the pitcher would throw to 1B.

Ought to apply the foul tip criteria in that only the catcher an catch a foul tip so only the catcher can catch a pitch.

36 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Ought to apply the foul tip criteria in that only the catcher an catch a foul tip so only the catcher can catch a pitch.

I can't imagine anyone applying any other criterion (ia)   (okay, yes I can -- I just wouldn't want to be around when it happens)

9 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I can't imagine anyone applying any other criterion (ia)   (okay, yes I can -- I just wouldn't want to be around when it happens)

It’s already in the rules that the catcher must catch the third strike in order for the batter to be out. I’m wondering if that catch can happen after the pitcher catches or juggles the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

It’s already in the rules that the catcher must catch the third strike in order for the batter to be out. I’m wondering if that catch can happen after the pitcher catches or juggles the pitch. 

If the pitcher caught it the catcher can't.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:54 PM, Jimurray said:

FED 2-28-4:

A pitch ends when the pitched ball: a. is secured by the catcher, b. comes to rest, c. goes out of play, d. becomes dead, e. or the batter hits the ball (other than a foul tip).

I'd say no to your wonderment since an uncaught third strike isn't considered caught when F2 picks it up, so it doesn't matter whose glove it winds up in. It's still an uncaught third strike.

I'm sure someone will prove how wrong I am in 3... 2... 1...

On March 13, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Rich Ives said:

If the pitcher caught it the catcher can't.

What if the pitcher did not catch it but fumbled it back to the catcher? 

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Imagination has no bounds in the TW. 

15 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Well, I would say the technically, according to the FED definition of a pitch, and when a pitch ends, he could juggle it back to the catcher to be caught...though I don't know why he'd not just juggle, or throw, it to first base.  If the pitcher catches it it would have "come to rest" and no longer be a pitch that can be caught by F2.

What I do find interesting about the FED wording is that a pitch in the dirt that deflects off  the catcher and then hits the batter is technically a HBP...as the status of the ball is still "pitched".  And we know that's not right.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

What I do find interesting about the FED wording is that a pitch in the dirt that deflects off  the catcher and then hits the batter is technically a HBP...as the status of the ball is still "pitched".  And we know that's not right.

I don't have the books in front of me, but there used to be some small wording difference that made the above statement not true -- something like "pitched ball" vs. "pitch."  The pitch doesn't end until F2 secures it (among other reasons), but the it's no longer a "pitched ball" once it's deflected.

• Like 1

Hmmm...?

PASSED BALL

A passed ball is a pitch which the catcher fails to stop or control when he should have been able to do so with ordinary effort, and which enables a runner including the BR to advance.