Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
VolUmp

Two Positioning Q’s (rhetorical maybe)

FED SOFTBALL  2-Man

So this is where I’m asking veterans if you have a different way of doing things than what the books and camps teach.

1) R2.  No outs.
Long fly ball on the LF Foul Line. 

Explain duties of each ump

2) R1. No outs. 
Wild pitch goes to backstop.  R1 takes 2nd and heads for 3rd without hesitating.

Explain duties of each ump

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Funny how you chose Softball (Fed, ta boot) as the context, because, like 46/60 LL’ish baseball (no leads / steals until ball crosses plate), BU usually has his/her IP on the outside.

Touché.

Well, I’ll play...

1) Because it is pressing the foul line, PU has to take Fair/Foul, and as such, Catch/No Catch. A good BU should recognize this as the ball is in flight, and should dash in to the Working Area so as to best line up the catch, R2 tagging up, then moving on towards 3B so as to observe a throw/play at 3B.

2) BU’s IP should be “B Beyond” or “B outside”, so with the pitch going to the backstop, BU should be preparing for a possible throw to 2B and R1 arriving. Once R1 touches 2B, BU should cross the 1B-2B baseline, chest to ball, and read-and-react how F2 is going to throw and whether or not R1 commits to 3B. If R1 indeed commits to 3B, BU should not try to parallel-run with R1, but instead angle through the working area so as to maintain best angle for judgement on play at 3B. PU has to stay put and take the ball.

17 hours ago, MadMax said:

Funny how you chose Softball (Fed, ta boot) as the context, because, like 46/60 LL’ish baseball (no leads / steals until ball crosses plate), BU usually has his/her IP on the outside.

Touché.

Well, I’ll play...

1) Because it is pressing the foul line, PU has to take Fair/Foul, and as such, Catch/No Catch. A good BU should recognize this as the ball is in flight, and should dash in to the Working Area so as to best line up the catch, R2 tagging up, then moving on towards 3B so as to observe a throw/play at 3B.

2) BU’s IP should be “B Beyond” or “B outside”, so with the pitch going to the backstop, BU should be preparing for a possible throw to 2B and R1 arriving. Once R1 touches 2B, BU should cross the 1B-2B baseline, chest to ball, and read-and-react how F2 is going to throw and whether or not R1 commits to 3B. If R1 indeed commits to 3B, BU should not try to parallel-run with R1, but instead angle through the working area so as to maintain best angle for judgement on play at 3B. PU has to stay put and take the ball.

Agree completely.  I will also add that the PU takes all fly ball catches in FED SB.

Why does the plate umpire have all catch/no-catch calls in FED SB? Is it just because the book says so, or is there a reason (the base umpire is not in a good position to see catches from his IP with runners on base?)? Does this change for 3-man? I believe that in 3-man for softball, the division of labor is different, because for baseball, there is no outfield catch responsibility for HP when U1 and U3 are on the lines. Correct me if I am wrong.

12 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Why does the plate umpire have all catch/no-catch calls in FED SB? Is it just because the book says so, or is there a reason (the base umpire is not in a good position to see catches from his IP with runners on base?)? Does this change for 3-man? I believe that in 3-man for softball, the division of labor is different, because for baseball, there is no outfield catch responsibility for HP when U1 and U3 are on the lines. Correct me if I am wrong.

A. It is what the book says to do.

B. The field is smaller.  When BU is in B, C or D, on fly ball outside, he/she is moving inside.

3-man, the mechanics change, but I can't remember the details. I'll let you know if I get any playoff games.  Oh yeah, NJ does it different than the book for 3 man.