Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Heave-Ho

New Student-Ump

Hey all!

My name is John, and I'm new to umpiring. I'm 14 years old, and baseball is pretty much life for me. :D I've played baseball since I was 6, mainly as a catcher. Therefore, I have a love, or hate, for umpires. I've always wanted to try, and I recently finished umpire school. I'm technically OHSAA certified, even though my age won't allow me to umpire high school. I just thought that would be a good place to learn, and I feel like I'm ready for the job. I'm going to be reading these boards a lot, and hopefully learn a little bit.

Any advice? Where is a good place to buy gear? I've been recommended to buy the OHSAA starter pack, but I don't necessarily know a good place to buy that. Hoping my first game will happen soon!

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Welcome, John. There's a bunch of us OHSAA folks in the forum, some former F2's like you. Frankly, F2 is a great position to move to umpire, as you're used to watching pitches come in and have a sense of the zone. Also, they're typically the smartest player on the team.

Learn the rules, master the Blue Book, ask questions.

Nice to have you!  Like Maven said, catchers are good candidates for umpires, so you've got a good foundation to build on. Hopefully, your learning will never end and like any activity, there are endless opportunities to grow and improve. There's always something to work on, rules to learn, mechanics to improve and so forth. If you read this board regularly, you'll learn a ton.

Thanks guys! I 100% agree with the catcher thing! It's nice that I'm not really worried about foul balls coming back at me, and am used to being behind the plate. I'll be ordering gear this weekend, and hopefully can get started soon. Can't wait for my first game. I was looking into this NASO thing. Can someone explain it to me, and is it worth the subscription to?

I am new, but welcome aboard. There is a ton of information on this site!

Naso is worth it.  I officiate two sports. Although one is covered by my membership dues, umpiring is not so I got Naso.  You never want to be in a position where you wish you had it.

I have bought all my gear from Ump-attire because of their return policy, but there are others out there.  Be consistent, stick with your calls and always make an effort to be in a position to make the call. As a coach, I may not agree with an official's call, but if they made a concerted attempt to get in position, then that is all I can ask for.

Plenty of videos online, both good and bad to be honest, and that is why I joined this site.

In any sport, I think players find a new appreciation for officials as you see the game from another perspective.  Good luck with everything.

@Heave-Ho

Welcome aboard! This site is by far one of the if not the best umpiring resources on the web. Being in your position and close to your age a few years ago I cannot emphasize enough that being authoritative with crisp signals will cut down on crazy coach/player/parent behavior considerably. And don't worry about not knowing what you're doing, you'll figure it out pretty quickly!

If you're still looking for gear remember to check Play It Again and Criagslist for your area and see if any geezers are willing to sell you their old stuff.

Have fun and let everyone know if you have questions!

-LBS

#catchermasterrace

On 3/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, Heave-Ho said:

Thanks guys! I 100% agree with the catcher thing! It's nice that I'm not really worried about foul balls coming back at me, and am used to being behind the plate. I'll be ordering gear this weekend, and hopefully can get started soon. Can't wait for my first game. I was looking into this NASO thing. Can someone explain it to me, and is it worth the subscription to?

They sent a rocket to the moon.

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, Heave-Ho said:

Make sure to get a good quality mask or HSM made for an umpire.  Protect your noggin.

For me, the mask is a personal thing. I've got a Diamond lite weight, which is great, but for some reason my Honigs just feels better even though it's slightly heavier. Try a couple places and see if you can try them on. 

I'd go the craigslist route first and try stuff out before spending full price. Or check out the used gear here. 

Welcome to the blue brotherhood!!  Remember, ABL....always be learning

2 minutes ago, blue23ll said:

Welcome to the blue brotherhood!!  Remember, ABL ... always be learning

Always be learning? Huh! I thought it meant Always Bring Leinenkuegel’s! (Or, in the case of @Razzer, @MikeSafari, or @BCBrad, Always Bring Labatt’s)

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

Always be learning? Huh! I thought it meant Always Bring Leinenkuegel’s! (Or, in the case of @Razzer, @MikeSafari, or @BCBrad, Always Bring Labatt’s)

Jesus, am I from rural Quebec? Nobody like's Labatt's :lol:

Gimme some solid cider. Or bourbon.

wait what were we talking about again

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MikeSafari said:

Jesus, am I from rural Quebec? Nobody like's Labatt's :lol:

Gimme some solid cider. Or bourbon.

wait what were we talking about again

Isn't Labatts made by Coors now? Also, it seems very ironic that Leinenkuegels is also owned by Coors/Miller

Hi John ( @Heave-Ho)

My advice is the following:

1. Search for senior umpires that:

A) model the desire to learn

B) want to mentor younger umpires    

C) are role models on the field

2. Constantly read the equipment thread — you will find great feedback on affordable and quality gear. Or, read any academic dissertation from Prof. @MadMax . 

3. Always work on your rule interpretation, positioning, mechanics and game management. Be both a sponge and a thief in taking what is demonstrated and modeled to you by high level umpires.

4. Take every opportunity to go to quality clinics and camps that you can get your hands on. 

5. Always work on building trusting, professional relationships with your brothers and sisters in the umpire fraternity.

6. Finally, remember to wipe the slate after every play. Don’t dwell on the last call - it’s done, look forward to joy of correctly getting the next call. 

Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually just did my first game Friday night. I look forward to continuing my journey, and this site will be an excellent resource.