F3 shins sizing for a short guy (5'11")

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2197 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm almost 5'11"... my shins measure about 15.5 - 16" from top of foot to middle of knee... should I go with the 14.5" or go up to the 16.5".   I currently wear a 15" pair of Diamond Ump-Lites.  I've taken some shots and have experience no pain or problems in 2+ years, but I don't want that to change so I plan on upgrading this year.

I know some manufacturers recommend that you go up a size if you're larger than the next size down, but wasn't sure about F3 and i can't find a recommendation on their site. I figured someone on here is close to my size and can speak to what fits them best.  I know some of you taller guys went down to the 16.5" for F3, but were wearing longer 17-18" shins from other makers like Wilson.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, mbkcoach said:

Go 16.5. Im 5-10.  I thought 14.5 was a little too short for me and my whole knee cap wasnt covered.

Thanks.

I was leaning that way, but didn't want too much shin guard or look sloppy. 

41 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

If you wear the new style of New Balance plate shoe you can go 14.5". If not go 16.5".

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Still have a pair of NB 460's

5-11 IS NOT "SHORT".  I am "short" (5-8) also fat as well. I don't worry about shoes. As long as they're black, have some protection, and are comfortable, it's ok with me.  I get beaned a lot, but it just stings for a while. That's it. (What can you do if the catcher don't do his job?  You just have to get beaned);)

39 minutes ago, 417BAILMAN said:

5-11 IS NOT "SHORT".  I am "short" (5-8) also fat as well. I don't worry about shoes. As long as they're black, have some protection, and are comfortable, it's ok with me.  I get beaned a lot, but it just stings for a while. That's it. (What can you do if the catcher don't do his job?  You just have to get beaned);)

LOL. I hear you.... I guess average height would have been a better description.  I'm between 5'10" and 5'11", so I'm not tall. 

While I am definitely not skinny, I don't define myself as fat, even though I weigh 235.  I'm definitely overweight (obese even according to BMI scales), but I don't have a big gut and I carry it fairly well.  I will drop to 225-230 during the season though.

I am going to try to get down to around 215-220 this year if I can just so i can see if it makes any difference health-wise. I have some hereditary health issues that I don't want to get any worse.  I've watched them attack my parents and I don't want that to happen to me too.

I am 5' 9" on a good day.  I like the protection up my thighs so I wear the 18.5 size F3 shins and the longer 17"? version of the Wilson West Vest Gold (black) shins.  I am still able to run down the line.  The F3's are so light and comfortable.  I wear both high and low top plate shoes with them.   Mizuno low, Mizuno mid and NB 450's and 460's with no rubbing or any other issues.  The ankle protectors on the F3 really work, needed with low cut plate shoes.  Extra but still nice to have with mid/high top plate shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

try to get down to around 215-220 this year if I can just so i can see if it makes any difference health-wise. I have some hereditary health issues that I don't want to get any worse.  I've watched them attack my parents and I don't want that to happen to me too.

I hear you.  If you can, your knees and hips and probably back will thank you.  You will be rewarded with more energy and be overall quicker on the field.  As for the hereditary issues, don't eff around with those.  If you feel the slightest bit "off", especially if these hereditary issues are heart disease or diabetes, go to the doctor.  I was nursing what I thought was indigestion for almost a year.  Every time I exerted myself EXCEPT for umpiring, I got heartburn.  I thought it was me getting older, hot-spicy foods diet (my girlfriend is caribbean and eats the hottest foods you can imagine and macho ass white boy me had to try and keep up), my attempt to be healthier by drinking very acidic lemon water, and not working out hard enough or long enough.  While, in fact, I was suffering from genetically based, diabetes and heard disease which led to a triple bypass this past January.  Luckily I finally quit kidding myself and went for a physical.  The doc was surprised as I don't look like I have either disease or his typical middle-aged 55 year old patient with these symptoms.  I am 5' 9"/185, 33 waist, 44 chest, flat stomach, well-defined muscularity, tight arms, ass, legs.  Anyway, go get yourself checked out if anything, ANY thing doesn't feel right.  

To lose the weight is a B-I-T-C-H!!!  I was 258 lbs back in Feb of 2005.  Got back to 185 and have luckily stayed pretty close to that since August of 2005.  Did go on a weight training regimen while I was in Afghanistan for 18 months back in 2010-2011 and got up to 215 but it was all muscle.  I feel way better when lighter.

How did I get down to 185 from 258 in six months?  Salads with vinegar based dressings.  Lots and lots of salads. Lots of veggies, no sodas or beer or bourbon or other alcohol.  Even wine went out the window.  Walking.  5 to 8 miles a day spread out over two or three walks per day for the first three months or so then 4 to 5 miles of walking per day plus gym time-both weights (dumbbells and some machines, multiple sets, multiple muscle groups, switching up the exercises every two weeks.)  Other changes such as no eating from drive throughs, no boxes, no bags, no cookies, ice cream, candy, chips, junky crap, cut carbs out as much as possible, no white bread, no potatoes, nothing fried, no fatty meats like hot dogs, cold cuts except smoked turkey and chicken.  Minimal sweeteners, etc.  Lots and lots of water.  Standing up as much as possible at work.  Parking as far away from the door as possible, taking the stairs instead of the elevator.  It ain't easy but it's worth it.

My .02.............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Majordave said:

How did I get down to 185 from 258 in six months?  Salads with vinegar based dressings.  Lots and lots of salads. Lots of veggies, no sodas or beer or bourbon or other alcohol.  Even wine went out the window.  Walking.  5 to 8 miles a day spread out over two or three walks per day for the first three months or so then 4 to 5 miles of walking per day plus gym time-both weights (dumbbells and some machines, multiple sets, multiple muscle groups, switching up the exercises every two weeks.)  Other changes such as no eating from drive throughs, no boxes, no bags, no cookies, ice cream, candy, chips, junky crap, cut carbs out as much as possible, no white bread, no potatoes, nothing fried, no fatty meats like hot dogs, cold cuts except smoked turkey and chicken.  Minimal sweeteners, etc.  Lots and lots of water.  Standing up as much as possible at work.  Parking as far away from the door as possible, taking the stairs instead of the elevator.  It ain't easy but it's worth it.

My .02.............

Yes, I read your post when you mentioned being out for a while this year. Glad you're on the mend!

I have to do what you posted in regards to losing weight. I'm around 235-240.  I'm age 39 with a 38-40" waist (38 jeans, 40 dress pants) and about as you described yourself.  My main thing is i work a desk job and don't exercise enough.  But I also eat fast food every day for lunch and drink way too much soda.   I'm borderline diabetic and heart disease (cholesterol) is in the mix, both are hereditary in my family.  I didn't win the genes lottery for sure. I did somehow miss out on the high BP though, so thankful for that.   I gotta be honest, no issues/pains or anything else for me.  I feel like I'm doing well at this point in my life, but I know the weight is going to cost me if I don't get on top of it sooner than later.

I know it will be work, but I need to start doing the following two things:  1.) cut out soda/pop (I drink at least 4 cans of reg soda a day currently) and 2.)  quit eating fast food for my lunches.  If i can switch to water and pack a salad or healthier option than fast food for lunch, then I should be well on my way to dropping some pounds.  Then, I normally do at least 4 games per week once season starts and I work ball from now until October.  I am thinking of getting my football license this year which will keep me active until late November hopefully.

I appreciate the feedback and good tips!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 417BAILMAN said:

We are not fat. We are chunky. Chunky is a size. Long live chunky.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Yes, I read your post when you mentioned being out for a while this year. Glad you're on the mend!

I have to do what you posted in regards to losing weight. I'm around 235-240.  I'm age 39 with a 38-40" waist (38 jeans, 40 dress pants) and about as you described yourself.  My main thing is i work a desk job and don't exercise enough.  But I also eat fast food every day for lunch and drink way too much soda.   I'm borderline diabetic and heart disease (cholesterol) is in the mix, both are hereditary in my family.  I didn't win the genes lottery for sure. I did somehow miss out on the high BP though, so thankful for that.   I gotta be honest, no issues/pains or anything else for me.  I feel like I'm doing well at this point in my life, but I know the weight is going to cost me if I don't get on top of it sooner than later.

I know it will be work, but I need to start doing the following two things:  1.) cut out soda/pop (I drink at least 4 cans of reg soda a day currently) and 2.)  quit eating fast food for my lunches.  If i can switch to water and pack a salad or healthier option than fast food for lunch, then I should be well on my way to dropping some pounds.  Then, I normally do at least 4 games per week once season starts and I work ball from now until October.  I am thinking of getting my football license this year which will keep me active until late November hopefully.

I appreciate the feedback and good tips!

Do not mess with the heart issue.  If  you do, the heart will fail you and you won't be umpiring.  Get it taken care of.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, umpstu said:

Do not mess with the heart issue.  If  you do, the heart will fail you and you won't be umpiring.  Get it taken care of.  

I will keep an eye on it.  I have no issues at this point, it's just in family on both sides.  I want to lose weight so it won't become an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJK said:

It does.

Can confirm. I've lost about 40 lbs in the last year (from 250 down to 210). I haven't felt this well in YEARS. Last week I had to carry a 40 lb box a couple of blocks. When I got done, I was thinking "man, my lower back hurts". And my next thought was "no wonder your back used to hurt all the time, you moron".

I'm still losing weight but much slower now (on the order of a pound every 2-3 weeks, rather than several pounds per week when I first started). The only regret I have is that I didn't start sooner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Majordave said:

I am 5' 9" on a good day.  I like the protection up my thighs so I wear the 18.5 size F3 shins and the longer 17"? version of the Wilson West Vest Gold (black) shins.  I am still able to run down the line.  The F3's are so light and comfortable.

Dave, you’re going to be my guinea pig... reading your post here, and your reason for wearing your shinguards what I call “cricket style”, is making me think up a way of supplementing the Force3 Ultimate shinguards with thigh pads. I kept looking at the latest Schutt XV-HDX CP with its new, fancy-shmancy bicep guards, wondering wherever I would use those.

... and now I just figured it out. Those bicep guards are D3O-lined, and if I can figure out a connector method, I might be able to attach them to a set of Ultimates to protect your thighs, especially above the knee.

Oh, and @wolfe_man? My gut reaction is, if you’re using the mid-cut, taller NB plate shoes, you could get by with the shorter shinguards. That’s my opinion. However, the other rationale – that the additional length will over-protect the ankle area – is equally valid.

I measure as a 17” in shins, and wear 16.5” Ultimates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MadMax

Go for it. I wear the McDavid Catcher/umpire Hexpads shorts.  I have worn football thigh pads in a football girdle before the McDavid's came out.  Those first couple of years I umpired were rough.  I did some country area high school, some middle school and some really good high school ball.  The first summer I worked at a tournament mill doing 19-20 games total a weekend from Thursday night through Sunday evenings.  Almost every weekend. Some beatings I took.  But the checks were nice.  Allowed me to upgrade my gear bag significantly and pay for my Master's I was working on the other days of the week. 

My advice is to try some football girdle shorts as they have built in pockets which prevent too much moving around.  Unfortunately they don't work as well on the tender inner thigh region but I am sure you will figure out a workaround for that problem.   Max I fully expect you to invent or modify some piece of gear that will revolutionize umpiring.

In that vein, I need a design guy or a polycarbonate/injection molding guy to help me bring life to a stormtrooper style umpire/catcher suit (front side full body armor-head to toe-matching in black/gray/other team colors for catchers that would literally protect every spot on the front of your body yet be light and comfortable but not cost more than say $300-$400, AND be cool like a stormtrooper suit.  Think how many young guys we could recruit into umpiring if they got to wear that suit with a helmet style protector that had built in fan for cooling or heat and fog proofing lenses, that would also give them some anonymity and maybe even a voice amplification mode so everyone could hear the calls for those vocally challenged guys and girls that we all were when we first started umpiring.   I think some older umpires might be able to work longer as the would be more protected and not shy away from being hit. 

Just a thought.  I really think it would work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Majordave said:

@MadMax

Go for it. I wear the McDavid Catcher/umpire Hexpads shorts.  I have worn football thigh pads in a football girdle before the McDavid's came out.  Those first couple of years I umpired were rough.  I did some country area high school, some middle school and some really good high school ball.  The first summer I worked at a tournament mill doing 19-20 games total a weekend from Thursday night through Sunday evenings.  Almost every weekend. Some beatings I took.  But the checks were nice.  Allowed me to upgrade my gear bag significantly and pay for my Master's I was working on the other days of the week. 

My advice is to try some football girdle shorts as they have built in pockets which prevent too much moving around.  Unfortunately they don't work as well on the tender inner thigh region but I am sure you will figure out a workaround for that problem.   Max I fully expect you to invent or modify some piece of gear that will revolutionize umpiring.

In that vein, I need a design guy or a polycarbonate/injection molding guy to help me bring life to a stormtrooper style umpire/catcher suit (front side full body armor-head to toe-matching in black/gray/other team colors for catchers that would literally protect every spot on the front of your body yet be light and comfortable but not cost more than say $300-$400, AND be cool like a stormtrooper suit.  Think how many young guys we could recruit into umpiring if they got to wear that suit with a helmet style protector that had built in fan for cooling or heat and fog proofing lenses, that would also give them some anonymity and maybe even a voice amplification mode so everyone could hear the calls for those vocally challenged guys and girls that we all were when we first started umpiring.   I think some older umpires might be able to work longer as the would be more protected and not shy away from being hit. 

Just a thought.  I really think it would work.

In order for your young umpire recruiting theory to be a success there will need to be mandatory shock collars issued to all parents and coaches so they can keep their pie holes shut.  IMO that is the number one reason for younger umpires leaving our ranks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Majordave said:

I am 5' 9" on a good day.  I like the protection up my thighs so I wear the 18.5 size F3 shins and the longer 17"? version of the Wilson West Vest Gold (black) shins.  I am still able to run down the line.  The F3's are so light and comfortable.  I wear both high and low top plate shoes with them.   Mizuno low, Mizuno mid and NB 450's and 460's with no rubbing or any other issues.  The ankle protectors on the F3 really work, needed with low cut plate shoes.  Extra but still nice to have with mid/high top plate shoes.

HMMMMM DAVE, just gave me an idea. Seems all 16.5 force 3 leg guards are out of stock on backorder, ALTHOUGH, purchase officials, has the 18.5 " IN STOCK.

THIS is making me wonder if maybe I could go 18.5" n have em in a few days for $108.

First I'm going Low cut plate shoes, This yrs NB lows 

Second I'm.   6' 1" 185

Pant inseam is 32

Maybe being plus 6 feet, actually 6' 3/4", lol, but...........Im gaining room not going mid-cut NB plate shoes, say a half inch, and bein  a taller lanky guy, maybe they'll work.

What do u guys think

Need to order my gear opinions???!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The1yankee said:

HMMMMM DAVE, just gave me an idea. Seems all 16.5 force 3 leg guards are out of stock on backorder, ALTHOUGH, purchase officials, has the 18.5 " IN STOCK.

THIS is making me wonder if maybe I could go 18.5" n have em in a few days for $108.

First I'm going Low cut plate shoes, This yrs NB lows 

Second I'm.   6' 1" 185

Pant inseam is 32

Maybe being plus 6 feet, actually 6' 3/4", lol, but...........Im gaining room not going mid-cut NB plate shoes, say a half inch, and bein  a taller lanky guy, maybe they'll work.

What do u guys think

Need to order my gear opinions???!!!

I’m sure you can return or find a buyer if they don’t fit.

On a side note, I’m in OH and love Purchase Officials! I always get gear within 2 days. Returns are free too. I’ve even discovered I work at same place as the owners father in Columbus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I’m sure you can return or find a buyer if they don’t fit.

On a side note, I’m in OH and love Purchase Officials! I always get gear within 2 days. Returns are free too. I’ve even discovered I work at same place as the owners father in Columbus.

Fully agree. I understand ump attire is big on this site, and for the right reasons. They have a rep that is active here, n affiliated, with UA, which is a good thing. I notice how willing the UA rep is to give us his help n feedback, oh and thanks for the help UA, definitely appreciated by more than me.

But PO, great customer service, AND prices. Seems they always have a 10% promo code for order, which doesn't hurt their ALREADY solid prices. 

Funny how small the world is. Oh and Wolfe, coin some wandering around work, when u find owner, tell em I need that last pair of 16.5 F3s he's holding out on, back at the warehouse, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am taking the Force 3 plunge.  Needed to buy a new 6 state hat and the supplier had a nice price on the shins.  Saved on shipping. This way the $28 hat seems like a bargain. SWMBO logic for sure. 

I went with the 14.5" size being vertically challenged and I also wear the NB 460 high tops.  I measured twice and they should be fine.  

Hoping that I can cut some weight from the Wilson Platinums (15.5") and save some wear and tear on the knees. If I can do an extra game it covers the price difference between the F3 and the Diamond LW. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boyinr said:

I went with the 14.5" size being vertically challenged and I also wear the NB 460 high tops.  I measured twice and they should be fine.  

Hoping that I can cut some weight from the Wilson Platinums (15.5") and save some wear and tear on the knees...

... and you'll notice that you feel more mobile and your plate pants will fit so much nicer.

I'm not a fanboy of Force3. I'm a fanboy of progressive design thinking and technology, something that Force3 actively embraces while the Big Gold W does not.

I actually get a kick out of getting foul-offs to the shins (not direct pitches, out of principle rather than pain) because I can chuckle and tell the concerned catcher, "Yeah, champ, I'm fine. The shins are bulletproof. A bit higher? Not so much."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On March 20, 2018 at 9:49 PM, boyinr said:

Well I am taking the Force 3 plunge.  Needed to buy a new 6 state hat and the supplier had a nice price on the shins.  Saved on shipping. This way the $28 hat seems like a bargain. SWMBO logic for sure. 

Hoping that I can cut some weight from the Wilson Platinums (15.5") and save some wear and tear on the knees. If I can do an extra game it covers the price difference between the F3 and the Diamond LW. 

14.5" is perfect. I haven't worn these in a game yet but, I might be sold that these are the cats meow. I liked the All Star S7 but they were too long. Honors K2010 16" were bomb proof but hot, bulky and heavy.  Platinum 15.5" seemed like the "goldilocks" choice.  These are so light. They must be made of Kevlar and helium.  I never thought I would spend this much on shin guards and like it. 

A plug here for Gearef in NC.  They are the former Honigs supplier.  Quick to ship, decent price and good communications.