Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
GreyhoundAggie

Deflected Ball Base Award Confirmation

Question

Wanted confirmation of a ruling we made from a Varsity Fed game from Monday.

Bases loaded, outs don't matter.

Chopper to 1st base, he comes home with the throw to try and get the force, but the ball isn't it time and hits either the catcher or batter (unsure) and deflects into the dugout.

2 base award from TOP? This is what we ended up doing. I was thinking this is correct since the deflection was not intentional or a secondary action.

14 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

It's just like any other "first play by an infielder" -- don't get confused because the throw went to home instead of to first (as it usually does)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 417BAILMAN said:

2 base award from time of throw. 

If it's the first from infielder it's from time of pitch.

22 hours ago, 417BAILMAN said:

2 base award from time of throw. 

No, no, 1000 times no.

Check the base running awards on p50 in NFHS book, rule 8-2  "First throw by infielder and ball goes out of play..."  TWO BASES from time of pitch.

On 3/8/2018 at 4:01 PM, GreyhoundAggie said:

Wanted confirmation of a ruling we made from a Varsity Fed game from Monday.

Bases loaded, outs don't matter.

Chopper to 1st base, he comes home with the throw to try and get the force, but the ball isn't it time and hits either the catcher or batter (unsure) and deflects into the dugout.

2 base award from TOP? This is what we ended up doing. I was thinking this is correct since the deflection was not intentional or a secondary action.

Curious, even if you would have gone TOT, would have it changed the awards?  

2 hours ago, zoops said:

Curious, even if you would have gone TOT, would have it changed the awards?  

Probably not in the OP, but take for example the following play....

R3, R1.... R1 running on the pitch, ball hit to F6. By the time F6 fields the ball, R1 is on/rounding 2B. F6 fires home to get R3 trying to score. Ball deflects off F2 out of play.

First play by the infielder  R1 gets 3B,  2 bases TOP....NOT home even though he was at 2B TOT.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jglopez7
      See the video of my call of RLI. What do y’all think? 

• By Jglopez7
      Seeking info and feedback regarding the few questions I got wrong. Read below.
      1. A force is reinstated when a runner retreats past the base to which he was forced to advance. T or F I marked False due to a runner who passes a base needing to be tagged upon returning. Unless I am misinterpreting the question. Correct answer is TRUE
      2. No outs, R3 on third and R1 on first. R1 attempts to steal second. B4 interferes with F2, but F2's throw gets R1 out. During the play at second, R3 scores. B4's interference is ignored and R3 scores. T or F. I put false due to the interference from my understanding runners return back their base start of pitch. Correct answer is TRUE. What if R1 gets caught in a rundown because hes thrown out by a mile? Kill it if first attempt is not successful?
      3. A coach physically assisting a runner during playing action is interference. T or F. I put TRUE and apparently its false.

Any feedback is welcome.

• By Kevin_K
      Today the State of NJ released its annual refresher test for all NJSIAA certified umpires in baseball and softball. 
      On first glance I find this question:
      A pitcher is wearing a compression sleeve that is a camouflage pattern matching the school's colors. It extends below the elbow on his throwing arm. The umpire should:
      Allow it since the colors match the school's colors.
      Have the pitcher remove it since he may not wear white or gray on his throwing arm.
      I have never claimed to have a backward and forward understanding of the rule book, but even I know that neither answer is correct. How does this kind of nonsense happen every single year? At what point will there be a test that is correct? And that doesn't try to trick anyone? 
      In the inimitable words of one C. Brown....."AAAUUUGGGHHHH!!!" 

• By Thunderheads
      Ok ...
      I got this ad from Wilson on my Facebook feed today and for fun ...I posted the following:
      HYPOTHETICAL:
      Your first HS game starts with the pitcher walking to the mound with this new customized Wilson glove. What do you do....

NOW .... I did this primarily because although TECHNICALLY ILLEGAL ...the amount of gray isn't egregious and I thought, well maybe I see if something is said, as to not be a "Barney Fife" and be an OOO right out of the gate.
      Thoughts? 
    • By Panther32
      Hey guys, it's my first year of varsity ball and I have a number of questions that I can't find answers to.
      1) Does the batter have to make an attempt to avoid being hit by pitch?
      2) Can the fielder use the safety bag? (I know he can on dropped third)
      3) Ball hits runner standing on second base
      4) Can the pitcher feint to third base and not throw?
      5) High fiving player before touching the plate on a homerun
      6) Batter hits ball off himself is it the body part of where it goes off has to be in the box determining whether he's out or it's a dead ball?