Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest bradgaspe

Batter misses 2nd base on inside the park homerun

Question

Guest bradgaspe

Good Morning,

Runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 out. Batter hits inside the park homerun BUT misses 2nd base. On appeal batter is

declared out at 2nd base.

How many runs score?

Thanks for your help.

8 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Guest bradgaspe said:

Good Morning,

Runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 out. Batter hits inside the park homerun BUT misses 2nd base. On appeal batter is

declared out at 2nd base.

How many runs score?

Thanks for your help.

2 runs score. Based upon your wording the appeal happened after the batter touched HP. Thus R3 and  R1 scored before the appeal for the third out.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

this would be a time play, two runs score, since R1 and R3 would (likely) score before the appeal is made.  If R1 had not scored before the appeal is made then one run would score.

3 hours ago, stkjock said:

this would be a time play, two runs score, since R1 and R3 would (likely) score before the appeal is made.  If R1 had not scored before the appeal is made then one run would score.

On a live play like this with the runners in flight, at what point can a valid appeal be made to second base.  As soon as B/R passes second base without touching it?  When he passes third?

8 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

On a live play like this with the runners in flight, at what point can a valid appeal be made to second base.  As soon as B/R passes second base without touching it?  When he passes third?

afaik, if the ball if live and they make an explicit appeal is made, why couldn't it be done while the play evolves, nothing in the rules that I can find to prevent it?  it's extraordinarily unlikely to happen

28 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I've been out for a couple of years, but there's some clause to the effect that "if a runner has started to return, the runner must be tagged" -- but I forget whether that applies to all codes, of just to home plate.

(IOW, I don't really know, but I just wanted to add to my post total.  ;)  )

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

I've been out for a couple of years, but there's some clause to the effect that "if a runner has started to return, the runner must be tagged" -- but I forget whether that applies to all codes, of just to home plate.

(IOW, I don't really know, but I just wanted to add to my post total.  ;)  )

FED 8.2.2 M

Would it be safe to say this would be true at any base?

3 minutes ago, Tborze said:

FED 8.2.2 M

Would it be safe to say this would be true at any base?

What does 8.2.2 M say?

2 hours ago, Stk004 said:

What does 8.2.2 M say?

8.2.2 SITUATION M
With R2 on second, B2 hits a grounder to left field.  R2 touches third base but misses the plate in attempting to score. F7 having thrown home, F2 steps on the missed base to retire R2 and throws to F6 in an attempt to put out B2: (a) before R2 (book shows R1) attempts to return home; or (b) after R2 attempts to return to touch home plate. RULING: (a) Upon proper defensive appeal, R2 would be ruled out. (B) Since R2 initiated action prior to the defense touching the plate, R2 must be tagged to record the out. R2 may legally return to touch home if he has not touched the steps of the dugout and if a subsequent runner has not yet scored. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.