Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tenduramax2

Dropped third strike runner interference

Question

Guest tenduramax2

On a dropped third strike, if R1 is hit by the catchers throw while attempting to retire him, is this runner interference, or is it the catchers mess up for not going to the inside or outside? Logic would tell me that it would be the latter because if not, the catcher could just throw at the runner all the time for the interference out. However, I do know that on some rules logic seems to go out the window. Thanks

9 answers to this question

It might be running lane interference if the batter/runner was running in fair territory and the throw was coming from around home plate. In high school rules, the quality of the throw doesn't matter. In official baseball rules, the throw would have to be good enough to have gotten the runner out for interference. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
1 hour ago, ricka56 said:

It might be running lane interference if the batter/runner was running in fair territory and the throw was coming from around home plate. In high school rules, the quality of the throw doesn't matter. In official baseball rules, the throw would have to be good enough to have gotten the runner out for interference. 

Except that if the runner is inside and the catcher is outside (or vice versa) and the runner is hit by the throw, it's not INT.

ricka points out the applicable rule, which requires the batter-runner to be in the running lane the last 45 feet of the way to 1B.

Lane INT has 3 required components:

1. A throw (pro rules: a quality throw)
  2. BR out of the lane (runner has advanced to the lane and has at least 1 foot out of the lane)
  3. Hindrance of the fielder taking the throw at 1B

The OP does not provide enough info about #2 to answer his question. If the runner is in the lane, there's no INT; otherwise, given that he got hit by the throw, INT is possible.

If both fielders set up on the other side from where the runner is, then his being out of the lane does not hinder them. In that case, as noumpere points out, we would still not rule lane INT.

Guest tenduramax2

I found my answer, thx all.

The running Lane which is 45 ft down the first-base line is the defining factor, if the runner is hit before this regardless of his position, there's no penalty. If the runner is hit while he is in fair territory it's interference and he's out, if he is in foul territory which is where the running lane is, there is no penalty. Thx all

3 minutes ago, Guest tenduramax2 said:

I found my answer, thx all.

The running Lane which is 45 ft down the first-base line is the defining factor, if the runner is hit before this regardless of his position, there's no penalty. If the runner is hit while he is in fair territory it's interference and he's out, if he is in foul territory which is where the running lane is, there is no penalty. Thx all

That's not right. Go back and read through this again.

Guest tenduramax2

Sorry maven, I didn't intend to step on your toes. I just posted before I read your post.

Guest tenduramax2

How is this not right? The runner has 45 feet to get in the proper running lane, any throw that hits him prior to this is null and void. After this, if he's hit in Fair territory he's out if you sit in foul territory no penalty... Am I missing something?

10 minutes ago, Guest tenduramax2 said:

How is this not right? The runner has 45 feet to get in the proper running lane, any throw that hits him prior to this is null and void. After this, if he's hit in Fair territory he's out if you sit in foul territory no penalty... Am I missing something?

Yes.

One, if the runner is in the lane, but in foul territory, he's not out.

Two, if the runner is "on the opposite side" of the fielders, the runner is not out, even if he's not in the lane

Three, (and not discussed so far), the runner is out if he intentionally interferes.

4 hours ago, Guest tenduramax2 said:

4 hours ago, Guest tenduramax2 said:

Yes. Just being in foul territory doesn't mean you 're not out. You an be there and also out of the lane and be out.

You can be in fair territory and not be out if the play is all in foul territory.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this