Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
sd181612

Good tailor for Poly-Spandex (Smitty) in the Orlando area

Surprise!!!! I have another question however I didn’t t know if this was the appropriate thread, so, I’m advanace, I apologize. Anyways I got the Poly-Spandex plate pants Monday and have been looking for good tailors in the area who have experience with atheletic fabrics. Since I don’t want to blindly step into the 5-Star rated tailor who knows a lot about suits but not about umpire pants like these, any suggestions????

Thanks again!

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I’m from SoCal but i just took my pants to a regular tailor. They do a great job every time. When you go, make sure you wear your plate shoes and shin guards so the get an accurate measurement 

• Thanks 1

Jos. A. Bank or Men’s Wearhouse. Either should help you and they can install the “traveler’s crease” for you to keep the front crease sharp. Not sure if the do the back or not. Take your plate shoes and shinguards in with you. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tpatience said:

When you go, make sure you wear your plate shoes and shin guards so the get an accurate measurement 

Anyone else ever had a tailor that look at you like you're crazy when you walk into the shop with shin guards? I walked in with shin guards once and explained the situation and she still looked baffled. It was just a funny situation all around that I still laugh about to this day.

• Haha 1

Did my first round, then realized I didn't need to measure with them on, have had a much better fit. My tailor is this old hispanic woman that I'm not sure understands everything I say.

1 hour ago, grk17 said:

Anyone else ever had a tailor that look at you like you're crazy when you walk into the shop with shin guards? I walked in with shin guards once and explained the situation and she still looked baffled. It was just a funny situation all around that I still laugh about to this day.

They looked at me like I was crazy until I explained myself

6 hours ago, Majordave said:

Jos. A. Bank or Men’s Wearhouse. Either should help you and they can install the “traveler’s crease” for you to keep the front crease sharp. Not sure if the do the back or not. Take your plate shoes and shinguards in with you. 

As others have warned they might not do a traveler's crease with the poly spandex. I took some into Jos. A. Bank and they wouldn't do it. :no:

9 hours ago, Stk004 said:

As others have warned they might not do a traveler's crease with the poly spandex. I took some into Jos. A. Bank and they wouldn't do it. :no:

Thanks for the heads-up.

11 hours ago, Stk004 said:

I look mine to Jos A. Bank yesterday (Indiana), and they were hesitant because they thought the silicone they use could possibly bleed through the material.  Since my wife was the seamstress, I had extra material from the hem that they could try it on.  Once they did and saw it wasn't an issue, they went ahead and did the traveler's crease.  $10/pair.

Jos. A. Bank in North Kansas City did mine last year.  No questions asked. Looked great.  $10/pair.  Good luck. 

I have friends here who have used other branches of Bank and some who used Men's Wearhouse. No big deal if you don't.  Only you and some of your fashion conscious partners will ever notice. Unless it is a point of emphasis for your assigner and other crew members. 

No biggie unless you are working games that are on TV regularly or working toward that level, seriously working for it, or an anal, ex-military, clothes horse fashionista like me.  Ha!

• Like 3