HOME RUN OR DOUBLE?

Guest JMVCAJUN
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2216 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest JMVCAJUN

Softball hits top of outfield fence that has no yellow line and bounces over the fence. What is the call homerun or ground rule double?

24 answers to this question

Home Run. 

If ball leaves outfield in fair territory and never touches ground, then what else could it be?

A ground rule double has to hit the ground first, then go over the fence.

HR has to stay in the air until leaving the field, but since a ball off the fence never hit the ground, then it's a HR.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, wolfe_man said:

Home Run. 

If ball leaves outfield in fair territory and never touches ground, then what else could it be?

HR has to stay in the air until leaving the field, but since a ball off the fence never hit the ground, then it's a HR.

A book rule double (2 base award) has to hit the ground first and then go over the fence.

I've always been taught that "ground rules"  are particular to each field (i.e. if it hits in the tree overhanging the LF fence in fair territory, and drops into the field of play, this is considered a home run as it would have left the field if not for the poor planning of where we put a baseball field(or the tree)).  

2 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

A book rule double (2 base award) has to hit the ground first and then go over the fence.

I've always been taught that "ground rules"  are particular to each field (i.e. if it hits in the tree overhanging the LF fence in fair territory, and drops into the field of play, this is considered a home run as it would have left the field if not for the poor planning of where we put a baseball field(or the tree)).  

Touche. Good point.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:00 PM, wolfe_man said:

I guess it depends on whether or not it hit an umpire or runner or spectator on the field before leaving the park without hitting the ground.  ;)

On 3/6/2018 at 11:00 AM, wolfe_man said:

Home Run. 

A batted ball that goes through the outfield wall, not over it, would be a two base award. I doubt you'll ever see that happen though. 

3 hours ago, Stk004 said:

A batted ball that goes through the outfield wall, not over it, would be a two base award. I doubt you'll ever see that happen though. 

OP says hit top of fence...

9 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

I guess it depends on whether or not it hit an umpire or runner or spectator on the field before leaving the park without hitting the ground.  ;)

OP says ball hit top of fence?

19 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Yes I know. I was addressing your comment that said a ground rule double has to hit the ground first. 

Shall we also add the, hit the fence, then fielder and bounces over the fence scenario?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Seen it many times - very common in communities with multi-purpose ball diamonds to put in temporary fences at shorter distances for tournaments - and the quality of those can be suspect and you do on occasion see batted balls go THROUGH the fence.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tborze said:

Shall we also add the, hit the fence, then fielder and bounces over the fence scenario?

I think we should also add if the batted ball hits a bird in flight and then bounces over the fence, hits a running dog on the field, etc. 

I learned my lesson, answer specific and leave no room for any questioning or don't answer.  I shall be more careful in the future! :)

57 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I think we should also add if the batted ball hits a bird in flight and then bounces over the fence, hits a running dog on the field, etc. 

I learned my lesson, answer specific and leave no room for any questioning or don't answer.  I shall be more careful in the future! :)

Where is the fun in that?

• Haha 1