Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

It just came to me: it’d be really cool if all LL umpires, (not coaches who HAVE to tend to umpire duties) who are located in the same general area, to kind of create their own groups of two or three and travel around local leagues and do what they love doing. I find it frustrating when I have to umpire with a coach who: a) doesn’t want to be there, b)doesn’t take it seriously. Also, it’s kimd of boring not having family or friends interested as much as I am.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I am extremely lucky in that our LL District (Calif. 62) has a pretty large contingent of serious umpires. Many of us do LL, HS and off season together so it is rare when one of us has to jump into the situation as in the OP. As my kids UIC, rarely does it happen where I am 'forced' to work with someone who has zero interest in being there. I just schedule them on another field and will work my game solo if needed. Now, if that person wants to learn and try? Heck ya! Jump in.

Just getting back into it, I am doing a handful of games by myself. 

Years ago before there was the Internet, I always had a base umpire.  If they didn't show, I collected both checks.  Other times I would get a buddy who played and said only call out or safe. I will handle everything else. It worked well for LL and Babe Ruth. That was before all the clearances, etc were required.