Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
HCueds

Mizuno Shovel *idea*

Would it be feasible to have a Mizuno shovel replicated via a 3D printer. I don’t know too much about the process, but it came to me in a dream lol. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

This could be incredibly lucrative for someone who has access to a 3D printer and the skills/experience with CAD programs to make this work. 

• Like 1

It would be cool to have it printed in carbon fiber (just to make Arik drool)...

1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

It would be cool to have it printed in carbon fiber (just to make Arik drool)...

Why you got to do me like that Steve. Lol

Add it to the @Razzer and @MadMax version of the Nike mask sent to Tony to get powder coated carbon fiber.

• Like 1

I thought about this last week, actually.

I've got a friend with a 3-D printer that would happily print one up for me. But I would need good photos (preferably with a ruler) to make the drawing file.

I'll also say that I'm not going to be the one to test this, at least not without extensive testing. Getting a piece of broken ABS jammed into my neck because I wanted to try something out doesn't sound like a fun time.

You can't just hit "Copy" and have it duplicate one? :)

Why stop at the Shovel though? Let's see if we can duplicate the Nike mask as well! I'm only half-joking here.  

One guy took the 3D printer to the next level.  He actually made one that can do concrete and he has used it to build rooms for five-star hotels in Southeast Asia.  He can even build castles with it.  I'm pretty sure he has a YouTube channel with it all on there. Really neat things you can do with 3D printers now.   They've even made working firearms!

@HCueds@kylehutson, @tpatience (and the rest of you guys)...

Here's what's not adding up – Why are we doing a 3D printing of a Mizuno Shovel?

If you're saying, "Because they're so rare!", then we need to go one step further, and ask why they're so rare.

"Because Mizuno doesn't sell them here in the States!"

Okay, and why doesn't Mizuno sell them in the States?

Because the Wilsons, Eastons, Rawlings, Champros and Diamonds of the industry have made it financially unbearable to market it here in the States!!! The unique "wow" factor of the Shovel is utterly lost amidst an endless sea of cheap, run of the mill, "shoehorn" throat guards!

The purpose of a 3D printer is to prototype a product – to make a tangible product you can put in your hands and physically make the virtual idea a near reality. Sure, the automated technology can be put to a myriad of different purposes in the production process, and can do what @wolfe_man describes. The reason 3D printing is used for firearms, as Wolfe put forth as an example, is because the tolerances and variances can be much more precisely controlled when you 3D "print" instead of breaking the model down into components, molding and die-casting those components, and then assembling the components into the finished product. On a firearm that experiences the kind of uses and stresses that a product like that does, and fetches a price tag of $400 and up (keep going), it makes complete sense.

On a single-component piece of shaped plastic that hangs off a mask, and you can get from a store for $4? Not worth it.

Now, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm all for having some novelty and craftsmanship in our gear, some "wow" factor. So, if we hold the Mizuno Shovel to such a high regard, why not identify what makes it "so cool", make a virtual model of it, adjust it and modify it to make it even better, then have it produced "locally" (here in the States) in a production run?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

Now, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm all for having some novelty and craftsmanship in our gear, some "wow" factor. So, if we hold the Mizuno Shovel to such a high regard, why not identify what makes it "so cool", make a virtual model of it, adjust it and modify it to make it even better, then have it produced "locally" (here in the States) in a production run?

Since you no longer have to do the Max mod on the Schutt, you now have time on your hands. ;)

3 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Since you no longer have to do the Max mod on the Schutt, you now have time on your hands. ;)

As a collective of all the cool dudes on here, we could totally do this. But how do we make it even cooler? 

• Like 2