Davis vs Smitty and/or poly-wool v poly or the poly-stretch

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2239 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

PANTS- My last question concerning my umpire gear. Smitty's or Davis. I was told to go base and plate pants, NO COMBOS!

Charcoal- I have my eye on some Poly-wool smittys- $59/ea. For both plate and base.

What do u guys recommend? I tend to think the poly-wool look sharper than the 4 way I think they call em 92 poly/8 stretch material

I also see some guys prefer the Davis over  ANY other brand poly-wool

Suggestions?

Preferences?

Best Prices?

Thanks and appreciate feedback very much

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tpatience, just curious what u like more about the poly spandex

Are they cooler in warm weather, fit better than the poly-wool?

I kinda like that poly-wool look, but I'm sure they are warmer, with wool can be warm but repels water good, but that's 100% wool, like a sweater

I would have to guess the poly spandex are more breathable n better for summer, comfort wise, 

poly-wools id guess to be warmer n more suitable for colder weather like our NW Ohio early springtime weather, a lil chilly

Any other comments or opinions

I prefer the Fetcheimer by Davis over the Smitty Poly Stretch. I have both and will wear the Smitty on a crazy hot day. The Fetcheimer just look sharper to me and hold their look and crispness longer Just my honest opinion. Pants are a mans personal preference.

20 hours ago, The1yankee said:

Tpatience, just curious what u like more about the poly spandex

Are they cooler in warm weather, fit better than the poly-wool?

I kinda like that poly-wool look, but I'm sure they are warmer, with wool can be warm but repels water good, but that's 100% wool, like a sweater

I would have to guess the poly spandex are more breathable n better for summer, comfort wise, 

poly-wools id guess to be warmer n more suitable for colder weather like our NW Ohio early springtime weather, a lil chilly

Any other comments or opinions

They’re just simply better than any other pants. If you’re looking at poly wools, Davis are the pants I wear. Those are the only other pants I recommend besides the poly spandex 

Poly spandex pros:

Lightweight, cool in the heat, dry out quickly if you're working in the rain, very comfortable

Cons: 

High maintenance, wrinkle pretty easy, cold in cold weather games, base pants have very wide legs at the bottom

I only wear the poly spandex.