Shin Guards

smoyer
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2221 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 minute ago, smoyer said:

Has anybody used diamond featherweight shins?What is your opinion?Ok for Little League?

I’ve never used them, however, my little league gear room is stocked with them. I’ve seen coaches (AA to Seniors) take hits with them on and never seen them complain, so I think you’d be alright. Again, I’ve never worn them before so can’t tell you from own experience.

I use these and love them. Lightweight and no behind the knee strap to cut into the skin. Easy to buckle up and haven’t been hurt by any shot in approximately 125 games in them.

I do Babe Ruth and High School ball. No problems yet.

71207EE7-2974-4D0F-8354-0B9460F8B158.png

• Like 1

I had them. Better have high top shoes. Ankle protection is minimal. First time a foul ball hit off the knee cap pad, it cracked from the rivet straight up. I did like the straps and "free" knee pad. Wouldn't recommend beyond little league. 

I had them. Went up to high school varsity with them and never got hurt despite many shots off them. That being said, they did have a tendency to twist near the ankles, so I had to fiddle with them way too much. and as @Richvee said, the ankle protection isn't stellar. They're now my "loaners" to new guys.

I just bought some to wear for summer ball and LL. Thought I'd be clever and used them for a varsity scrimmage because I could throw them on easily under regular pants for the one inning I had on the plate without changing out pants. That part worked great and they are a pleasure to wear. However I took a direct shot to the shin and it really hurt and left me with a goose egg. I won't make that mistake again. They are great for what I bought them for but I won't use for anything over middle school again. Even for an inning. 

Once I realized my team-issued Rawlings “lobsterback” catchers shin guards weren’t going to cut it as an umpire, I purchased these:all-star-lgu313-baseball-umpire-leg-guar

All-Star LGU313’s. As you can see, they are the polar opposite of conventional (i.e. bulky) shinguards. No triple and quadruple knee guards, no big ankle flaps, no claw-like toe guards. Not only did these fit under Combo umpire pants, they fit under Base pants!

They’re... okay. While I did 18U thru 9/10U baseball, I didn’t take a debilitating shot with them. Within that context, they were ideal because I could switch from Base to Plate to Base to Plate, each time only getting 15 minutes (heck, sometimes 5-10 minutes) between games. Because I was using the boot-like New Balance 460’s, I wasn’t too worried about ankle protection. 

When I started doing college and adult-age baseball everything changed. The higher velocities gave me pause, and while again, I didn’t take any debilitating shots, I had a direct pitch hit me that felt like a rolling log took out my leg.

Having been around fellow umpires at CDP and big tournaments, I knew I didn’t want Wilson shinguards, with their heavy (hot), bulky foam padding, rigid ankle plates, and toe flaps flopping all about. I wore goalie leg pads when I played hockey, and I found Wilson Platinum shin guards to be oddly similar. Besides, if I was going to spend $125 (at that time) on a set, I wanted them to amaze me. To be the last set of shin guards I’d ever need.

I considered Schutts (to match my CP, and I wore Schutt in high school), All-Stars and Champros. Heck, I even considered hockey (skater) shin guards, as they are form-fitting and rather protective. But in the end, it was enough guys on here raving about these Kevlar-based shin guards from this quirky little company called Force3 that caught my interest. Ordered them in a 18.5”, liked them, but the fit wasn’t workin for me. Exchanged them for 16.5”, strapped them on, and have been rockin’ and relying on them ever since.

Do I still have my LGU313’s? Yes, I’ve toyed with the idea of selling them to another aspiring umpire, but then I end up just keeping them in my “spares” bag. Yes, they made the trip from Wisconsin to Arizona, and I’ve used them for “dusty” games like I’ll have tomorrow evening – 10U educational baseball, solo, on a forlorn school field with rubber throw-down bases and a single-panel backstop that looks like it was reclaimed from a construction site.

Those Diamonds you’re considering aren’t bad – a “good percentage” of new(ish) umpires have and use them, but I think a lot of it has to do with Umpire Starter Package and retail store (Dick’s, etc.) availability. Also, consider the context – the majority of us start out doing wee-tyke ball, and are in no position to invest $100+ on all of our gear, let alone just shin guards. 

On 2/25/2018 at 1:51 PM, smoyer said:

Has anybody used diamond featherweight shins?What is your opinion?Ok for Little League?

These are specific reviews on the DLG-LITE product page that discusses the level you are asking about:

Michael V.
Sammamish, WA
These are lightweight and offer adequate protection for lower levels. A little light for 13 yr olds and above though.

Ryan Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
These are the best i have ever used. i am 16 and started umpiring when i was 13 these are the best out there they are extremely light and don't feel like any other, and with only two straps they don't even become a pain. The best thing i will ever use and if mine take any damage ill be back for new ones. And they could use a little more padding for upper level ball like high school, they work but you feel it a lot more then any other.

Tony Madren 
The DLG-Lites are OK for middle school and lower but needs more padding for varsity baseball. The two straps are great!