Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
bluejersey

Rule 7.05 (j) Babe Ruth League

Recommended Posts

Can someone please help me understand this rule?

 

7.05  Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance —

(j) One base, if a fielder deliberately touches a pitched ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play,  and the award is made from the position of the runner at the time the ball was touched.

 

Am I correct in thinking it is referring to the catcher  (or any fielder) trying to retrieve a passed ball or wild pitch with detached equipment? So it will be a delayed dead ball with one base awarded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
1 hour ago, bluejersey said:

Am I correct in thinking it is referring to the catcher  (or any fielder) trying to retrieve a passed ball or wild pitch with detached equipment? So it will be a delayed dead ball with one base awarded?

Yes.  You might usually see it when the pitch is just out of reach of the catcher and the runner threatens to go.  The catcher might unthinkingly use his mask to quickly pull the ball toward him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bluejersey said:

So it will be a delayed dead ball ?

What does the rule say?

You don't need a dead ball to award a base. Think what happens on a walk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An odd and somewhat surprising fact is that the OBR rule book does not use the term delayed dead ball at all. And the Babe Ruth League rule book is based on the OBR. So, it probably does not actually use the term either.

The Wendelstedt manual (2013 edition, p. 140), has what I think will be helpful to you understanding the rule and how to administer it.

“All runners, including the batter-runner, advance one base…from the time of the infraction, if a fielder deliberately touches a pitched ball with glove, cap, or any other article of apparel detached from its proper place or person.

“The umpire will immediately signal a one-base award. The ball is left in play and runners may advance beyond their award at their own peril. If the defense gains possession of the ball, and no runner is attempting to advance, the umpire will call time and award the runners their base.

“If, when the defense gains possession of the ball, at least one runner is attempting to advance, the umpire will leave the ball in play until all action ceases, or until a runner is tagged before reaching his awarded base.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear on a rules difference here...FED 2 bases. 8-3-3c (1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also noticed that the rule doesn't specify how many bases are awarded if detached equipment is *thrown* at a *pitched* ball. Is it still one base?

7.05  Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance —

(a) To home base, scoring a run, if a fair ball goes out of the playing field in flight and  he touched all bases legally; or if a fair ball which, in the umpire’s judgment, would  have gone out of the playing field in flight, is deflected by the act of a fielder in throwing his glove, cap, or any article of his apparel;

(b) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(c) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(d) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a thrown ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play;

(e) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a thrown ball. The ball is in play;

(f) Two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or  third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under  a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in  such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines;

(g) Two bases when, with no spectators on the playing field, a thrown ball goes into the stands, or into a bench (whether or not the ball rebounds into the field), or over or under  or through a field fence, or on a slanting part of the screen above the backstop, or  remains in the meshes of a wire screen protecting spectators. The ball is dead. When such wild throw is the first play by an infielder, the umpire, in awarding such bases, shall be governed by the position of the runners at the time the ball was pitched; in all other cases the umpire shall be governed by the position of the runners at the time the wild throw was made;

(h) One base, if a ball, pitched to the batter, or thrown by the pitcher from his position on the pitcher’s plate to a base to catch a runner, goes into a stand or a bench, or over or through a field fence or backstop. The ball is dead;

(i) One base, if the batter becomes a runner on Ball Four or Strike Three, when the pitch passes the catcher and lodges in the umpire’s mask or paraphernalia. If the batter becomes a runner on a wild pitch which entitles the runners to advance one base, the batter-runner shall be entitled to first base only.

(j) One base, if a fielder deliberately touches a pitched ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play,  and the award is made from the position of the runner at the time the ball was touched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluejersey said:

I also noticed that the rule doesn't specify how many bases are awarded if detached equipment is *thrown* at a *pitched* ball. Is it still one base?

7.05  Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance —

(a) To home base, scoring a run, if a fair ball goes out of the playing field in flight and  he touched all bases legally; or if a fair ball which, in the umpire’s judgment, would  have gone out of the playing field in flight, is deflected by the act of a fielder in throwing his glove, cap, or any article of his apparel;

(b) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(c) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

(d) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a thrown ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play;

(e) Two bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a thrown ball. The ball is in play;

(f) Two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or  third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under  a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in  such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines;

(g) Two bases when, with no spectators on the playing field, a thrown ball goes into the stands, or into a bench (whether or not the ball rebounds into the field), or over or under  or through a field fence, or on a slanting part of the screen above the backstop, or  remains in the meshes of a wire screen protecting spectators. The ball is dead. When such wild throw is the first play by an infielder, the umpire, in awarding such bases, shall be governed by the position of the runners at the time the ball was pitched; in all other cases the umpire shall be governed by the position of the runners at the time the wild throw was made;

(h) One base, if a ball, pitched to the batter, or thrown by the pitcher from his position on the pitcher’s plate to a base to catch a runner, goes into a stand or a bench, or over or through a field fence or backstop. The ball is dead;

(i) One base, if the batter becomes a runner on Ball Four or Strike Three, when the pitch passes the catcher and lodges in the umpire’s mask or paraphernalia. If the batter becomes a runner on a wild pitch which entitles the runners to advance one base, the batter-runner shall be entitled to first base only.

(j) One base, if a fielder deliberately touches a pitched ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play,  and the award is made from the position of the runner at the time the ball was touched.

seems to be covered under (j), no? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gfoley4 said:

seems to be covered under (j), no? 

I phrased my question wrong. What if he throws his glove at the ball? For a fair ball, (b) covers a situation where he touches it with equipment and (c) covers a situation where he throws his glove. For a thrown ball, (d) covers a situation where he touches it with equipment and (e) covers a situation where he throws his glove. For a pitched ball, (j) covers a situation where he touches it with equipment. There is nothing that covers a situation where he throws his glove at a pitched ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bluejersey said:

I phrased my question wrong. What if he throws his glove at the ball? For a fair ball, (b) covers a situation where he touches it with equipment and (c) covers a situation where he throws his glove. For a thrown ball, (d) covers a situation where he touches it with equipment and (e) covers a situation where he throws his glove. For a pitched ball, (j) covers a situation where he touches it with equipment. There is nothing that covers a situation where he throws his glove at a pitched ball.

Yes, still one base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×