Thirsty Pitcher

Forest Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2228 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Pitcher asked for time. He runs over to the dugout to get a drink of water. Drinks his water and runs back to the mound. Charged conference or nothing at all? Reverse the situation. Defensive personnel comes out to the mound and brings the pitcher a drink of water. Charged conference or nothing at all?

20 hours ago, noumpere said:

Just good sportsmanship.  ;)

Ooops. Fixed it. :o

I presented this scenario because it happened in a college game last week. The pitcher asked for time, ran over to the dugout and got a drink of water. I didn't think anything of it and the game continued on. The opposing coach asked me between innings if that was a trip and I told him it was nothing. However, it did make me think about it. My partner and I discussed it after the game and could not remember seeing a pitcher do that.

I think as long as he doesn't  delay the game that is nothing.  If he get his drink of water and get back on the mound and pitches within 20 seconds I'd have nothing. If it takes him longer then he gets a warning with any other delays being called a ball per rule 9-2c.  I don't see anything in the rule book that would make this a visit, unless he is discussing strategy with someone. 

During our LL District Tournaments, it can get hot. Coaches are told at the beginning of the game that F1 or F2 can request time and ask for water. When approved, a bench player can bring out a water bottle and hand it to whomever requested then retreat to foul territory. Water is passed around, if necessary, and bench player retrieves bottle. 

Anything other than that is charged as a visit. Still get coaches walking out of the dugout with a water bottle telling us, that his pitcher needs water. 

21 hours ago, Mister B said:

Anything other than that is charged as a visit. Still get coaches walking out of the dugout with a water bottle telling us, that his pitcher needs water. 

I don't have a problem with that. I'm going out to the mound to make sure nothing is discussed. In the situation I described, it was a JC game. During our post game discussion, we figured the pitcher may have been dipping and swallowed it. That's why he went over to get some water. Something to think about when you're working with young adults.

2 hours ago, MUAump2 said:

Why are you allowing a college player to dip?  In my neck of the woods, that's a big no-no.

Ugggg.....Hey MUA, either you read that wrong or I typed it wrong. As a gentleman, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The pitcher asked for time and went over to the dugout to get a drink of water. Seemed odd, but I didn't think much of it. After the game, my partner and I discussed what the pitcher did. My partner suggested that he may have been dipping and swallowed it. That had never occurred to me as I don't dip, never have. I posted this because it can be a teaching moment. Something to think about if you see a pitcher, or any player for that matter, do this.