Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Kevin_K

If only I was making this up

:ranton:

The NJSIAA is the governing body for New Jersey interscholastic athletics. Their baseball re-certification test was released yesterday. Today, I received this message:

F YOU ALREADY SUBMITTED THE TEST, JUST LET IT BE..............

~~If you have one of the following questions on your test, please use the answer choices below when answering; not what is displayed on the screen.

Question:
On ball four, the batter-runner overruns first base, turns to the left in fair territory and is tagged by the defensive player with the ball before batter-runner can return to first base.
a. Batter-runner is ruled out for overrunning first base on an awarded base on balls.
b.  Unless he made an attempt to feint to advance to second base, the batter-runner is entitled to overrun first base and return without liability of being put out.
c.  Merely turning to the left after overrunning first base does not constitute an attempt to advance or a feint.
d.  B and C are correct.

Question:
The batter has in his hands a bat that has an exit-speed indicator attached to the bat knob.
a.  If PU notices before batter enters the batter's box, umpire shall require that the attachment be removed.
b.  If PU notices after batter enters the batter's box, the umpire shall call the batter out for using an illegal bat under Rule 7-4-1.
c.  Both A and B are correct.

Question:
Base umpire calls B1 out on a close play at first base.  Head coach of Team A asks Base Umpire if he could get help from the Plate Umpire as This is a big call at a Big Time in this game.  Base Umpire should:
a.  Refuse request to get help as this was a judgment call.
b.  Base Umpire should have immediately asked Plate Umpire for help if this were a pulled foot or swipe tag scenario.
c.  Confer with Plate Umpire to make both of you look good.
d.  Both A and B are correct.

Question:
B6 is at the plate with a 2-2 count.  F1's pitch is in the dirt, but it bounces through the strike zone.  B6 subsequently swings and misses and the ball hits his forearm.
a.  B6 is awarded first base.
b.  B6 is out.
c.  The ball is dead when it hits B6.
d.  A and C are correct.
e.  B and C are correct.

Question:
The definition of a catch is the same for a thrown and a batted ball.  An exception being that a throw to the first baseman may be trapped as long as F3 can demonstrate control.
a.  Correct
b.  Incorrect

Question:
With R2 on second and R1 on first and no outs, B3 hits an infield fly, but the umpire fails to call Infield Fly.  Is the infield fly in effect or not?
a.  Even though it was not announced by the umpire, the infield fly rule remains in effect.
b.  Both teams have the responsibility to know the conditions for an infield fly.
c.  B3 is out on an infield fly and the force play situation is no longer in effect.
d.  All of the above are correct.

How the hell does this happen? Every single year, the questions asked are asinine and obfuscate far more than they educate. Should I remind you? Look :

:rantoff:

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

You missed some of my favorites.

Umpires choosing to wear sunglasses shall select a conservative style and not draw attention.
a. correct
b.incorrect

With R1 on first, R3 on third and one out, B4 hits a line drive into the gap. R3 holds and R1 runs. The ball is caught in flight. R3 tags and R1 attempts to return to first. The ball is caught by F3 in contact with first base, before R3 touches home plate. PU rules run does not score.

a. correct

b. incorrect

(I guess we should guess if the ball beat R1 back  to first???)

The bases are loaded and there are two outs. B1 hits a triple but misses second base. A legal play is immediately made by the defense. How many runs should score?

a. 0

b. 2

c. 3

Play?...Do you mean legal APPEAL???

•  

3 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

Question:
Base umpire calls B1 out on a close play at first base.  Head coach of Team A asks Base Umpire if he could get help from the Plate Umpire as This is a big call at a Big Time in this game.  Base Umpire should:
a.  Refuse request to get help as this was a judgment call.
b.  Base Umpire should have immediately asked Plate Umpire for help if this were a pulled foot or swipe tag scenario.
c.  Confer with Plate Umpire to make both of you look good.
d.  Both A and B are correct.

My favorite....Here are the answer choices on my test

a. Both B and C.

b. Base Umpire should have immediately asked Plate Umpire for help if this were a pulled foot or swipe tag scenario.

c. Confer with Plate Umpire to make both of you look good.

d. Both A and B are correct.

I went to the state interpretations meeting at Becton on Monday. They said with runners on a ball hit down the right field line the plate umpire take the ball fair, foul, catch, no catch...no problem with that. Then depending on how far down the line the plate ump goes the base umpire might have to take the play at the plate. Who is the plate umpire? An Olympic track and field athlete?  

14 hours ago, Richvee said:

My favorite....Here are the answer choices on my test

a. Both B and C.

b. Base Umpire should have immediately asked Plate Umpire for help if this were a pulled foot or swipe tag scenario.

c. Confer with Plate Umpire to make both of you look good.

d. Both A and B are correct.

What the hell was someone thinking on that one?!? So, either B or C alone, or all of them. And since C is obviously out, the only answer possible is B. Unless they actually think C is true - in which case y'all got bigger problems than a test!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scrounge said:

What the hell was someone thinking on that one?!? So, either B or C alone, or all of them. And since C is obviously out, the only answer possible is B. Unless they actually think C is true - in which case y'all got bigger problems than a test!

And....according to the FED umpire manual (that In NJ is gospel) U1 should make a call first. Never go directly to your partner first. 

And to continue....

Here is one question:

With R1 on third base and no outs, R2 attempts to steal second base. On his throw to second base, F2 is interfered with by the plate umpire. The throw is cut off by F6 and relayed back to F2 in time to retire R1 attempting to score

And the very next one:

With runners on first and third and two outs, B5 hits the ball toward second. F4 muffs the ball, which remains at his feet. R1 decides to stop about 10 feet from second base. Instead of going to the base, F4 recovers the ball, and chases down R1 and applies a tag. R3 scored before R1 was tagged.

Is there a reason that R1 is on first sometimes and on third others? 

I feel your pain.  I had the first "revised" question you posted above. Unfortunately, because I had "locked in" the test questions/answers, I was only able to access the responses for a and b - c and d simply do not appear.  No way to select the revised answers.  I'm confident my answer of b was graded incorrect.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:06 PM, Kevin_K said:

With runners on first and third and two outs, B5 hits the ball toward second. F4 muffs the ball, which remains at his feet. R1 decides to stop about 10 feet from second base. Instead of going to the base, F4 recovers the ball, and chases down R1 and applies a tag. R3 scored before R1 was tagged. 

This wasn't the main point of your post but saying "R3 scored" on a play where no runs scored seems........ misleading at best. 

OK...Got to review my test today. I got 3 wrong. One was the the question referenced above about the close play at 1B and asking for help, which my test had no right answer , so that one is what it is...But these two....The first one is something I never knew. Not sure how they get that case play from the rule as written. The second... I think is more Jersey being Jersey BS.

F2 singles and is replaced by a courtesy runner (CR). Two batters later, the offensive team wants F2 to run for himself so that the courtesy runner can begin to warm-up for the purpose of entering the game as the new pitcher. PU allows F2 to run for himself.

a. Correct

b. Incorrect
Explanation
Casebook Courtesy Runner Situation 3

They say the answer is incorrect. F2 cannot come back in and run for himself. Sure enough Case book play CR 3 says he can't. My question is how in the world do you interpret THAT out of the rules listed for a CR?  It's clear the CR cannot come in as a sub that half inning unless there's an injury and no other subs, but what says the F1 or F2 being courtesy ran for cannot re enter to run for himself??
Weird interp I never knew...

On ball four, the batter-runner overruns first base, turns to the left in fair territory and is tagged by the defensive player with the ball before batter-runner can return to first base.

a. Batter-runner is ruled out for overrunning first base on an awarded base on balls.

b. Unless he made an attempt or feint to advance to second base, the batter-runner is entitled to overrun first base and return without liability of being put out.

c. Merely turning to the left after overrunning first base does not constitute an attempt to advance or a feint.

d. Both B and C are correct.

They say I'm wrong, D is not the answer....it's  B. WTF??

58 minutes ago, Tborze said:

Why do you think C is not correct @Richvee?  

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I picked D. The powers that be say B is the correct answer.

2 hours ago, Richvee said:
F2 singles and is replaced by a courtesy runner (CR). Two batters later, the offensive team wants F2 to run for himself so that the courtesy runner can begin to warm-up for the purpose of entering the game as the new pitcher. PU allows F2 to run for himself.

a. Correct

b. Incorrect
Explanation
Casebook Courtesy Runner Situation 3

They say the answer is incorrect. F2 cannot come back in and run for himself. Sure enough Case book play CR 3 says he can't. My question is how in the world do you interpret THAT out of the rules listed for a CR?  It's clear the CR cannot come in as a sub that half inning unless there's an injury and no other subs, but what says the F1 or F2 being courtesy ran for cannot re enter to run for himself??
Weird interp I never knew...

Why have CR's at all? To speed up the game. It would defeat the purpose of the rule to permit F2 to go back out and run for himself.

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

b. Unless he made an attempt or feint to advance to second base, the batter-runner is entitled to overrun first base and return without liability of being put out.

c. Merely turning to the left after overrunning first base does not constitute an attempt to advance or a feint.

I can't think of a good reason to deny C.

1 hour ago, maven said:

Why have CR's at all? To speed up the game. It would defeat the purpose of the rule to permit F2 to go back out and run for himself.

If the rule was mandatory, I'd buy this. But it's an option. IMO, the rule doesn't read like re entering the F1 or F2 would be illegal. But the case play is clear....... ...so be it.

44 minutes ago, Richvee said:

If the rule was mandatory, I'd buy this. But it's an option. IMO, the rule doesn't read like re entering the F1 or F2 would be illegal. But the case play is clear....... ...so be it.

C'mon, Rich. You asked for a rationale for the interpretation, and I provided one. Now you're going to argue with me? OK, coach, you're entitled to your opinion... :P

46 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Yes, it does. 7a to 12-1-1 precludes the use of anything other than another courtesy runner.

5 hours ago, Richvee said:

Did you reach out on this to your chapter interpreter?

I did not have this one, but I am going to ask about it.

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, it does. 7a to 12-1-1 precludes the use of anything other than another courtesy runner.

a. Should an injury, illness or ejection occur to the courtesy runner, another courtesy runner for the pitcher or catcher may run.

This sounds to me like they are clarifying that a substitute CR is legal if he meets the qualifications, not that R1 or R2 cannot return to the bases.

I can't debate it. The case play CR 3 clearly says F2 or F1 can't re enter to run unless the CR gets injured or ejected and there are no legal substitutes left.  I just don't see the wording in the rule that makes this so. I'll have to live with it. ;)

34 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

E-mail sent (for what it's worth)

1 hour ago, maven said:

C'mon, Rich. You asked for a rationale for the interpretation, and I provided one. Now you're going to argue with me? OK, coach, you're entitled to your opinion... :P

That's all it is, my opinion. Just looking for a little debate. I'm getting antsy.

:ranton:First 3 scrimmages canceled (Today, Monday and Wednesday) with probably more cancellations to come while we wait for the foot+ of snow we just got to go away. :rantoff:

On 03/09/2018 at 8:53 PM, Kevin_K said:

Got a reply today. The question about the close play 1B and BU asking for help, and the the question I got "wrong" about over running 1B will be disregarded and 4 points added to those who had these questions. One with no right answer, and one, marked incorrectly. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 8:27 PM, Richvee said:

The case play CR 3 clearly says F2 or F1 can't re enter to run unless the CR gets injured or ejected and there are no legal substitutes left.  I just don't see the wording in the rule that makes this so. I'll have to live with it. ;)

That's exactly the reason for case plays -- because the rules don't always say exactly what they mean or mean exactly what they say.  It's part of the whole "art" of umpiring.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noumpere said:

That's exactly the reason for case plays -- because the rules don't always say exactly what they mean or mean exactly what they say.  It's part of the whole "art" of umpiring.

Another reason is to explain "philosophy": so for example, OBS and INT are both defined in terms of hindrance, but hindrance is undefined.

For OBS, we should (usually to always) call it when we have:

(a) substantial contact between a runner and a (unprotected) fielder, or

(b) fielder "in the way" of the runner, where he has to deviate from his chosen path on the bases, or

(c) a fielder without the ball who blocks a runner's access to the base during his approach or attempt to touch, or

(d) a defensive player's verbal interjection intended to and succeeding in delaying or confusing the offense, or...

None of these appear in the OBS rule, but all appear in the case plays as a way of articulating and providing some rough guidelines for the concept of hindrance.

20 hours ago, Richvee said:

Got a reply today. The question about the close play 1B and BU asking for help, and the the question I got "wrong" about over running 1B will be disregarded and 4 points added to those who had these questions. One with no right answer, and one, marked incorrectly. :rolleyes:

So here is the response I received on overrunning 1B:

Arbiter test was coded incorrectly. D (both B & C) is the correct answer. 

I refer to title of the thread once again.