Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
petecino

Finger stiffeners

Question

If  a player has a glove (first baseman's mitt comes to mind) that is too big, and they use any manner of items in the finger stalls to make it possible for them to close the glove, is this an illegal modification?  Some possibilityes include tongue depressors, dowels, or aluminum finger splints, placed INSIDE the finger stalls.  Thank you.

9 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I agree with Mr. beerguy55 that nothing in OBR rules 1.12 through 1.15 specifically prohibits those items mentioned in the OP. But wouldn’t all those hard items be a safety hazard at least to the user of the glove and possibly to another player? In fact, under Federation rules (rule 1-5-9) it states that “any player equipment judged by the umpire to be unreasonably dangerous is illegal.”

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

I agree with Mr. beerguy55 that nothing in OBR rules 1.12 through 1.15 specifically prohibits those items mentioned in the OP. But wouldn’t all those hard items be a safety hazard at least to the user of the glove and possibly to another player? In fact, under Federation rules (rule 1-5-9) it states that “any player equipment judged by the umpire to be unreasonably dangerous is illegal.”

How is it a hazard to others if it's inside the finger stall?

How would you know it's there anyhow?

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Day or night game?

Seriously though, how would you know it's there?

This always makes me laugh.........lol.......because I was there when my partner was asked a highly involved, clearly HBT, "IF" question and when she had finished he said......"day or night game"........ It was all I could do but not pee my pants laughing........

But to the question, none of these devices are banned..........many are on the market..........and I imagine many are homemade...

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this