Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gil

Analysis - Tennessee Wins on Walk-Off Obstruction Call

The Tennessee Lady Vols won a weekend softball game against Utah after an umpire's obstruction call on a game-ending play at the plate scored the winning run. Was the call correct pursuant to NCAA rules or should the game have continued? Utes catcher Martinez blocks plate too early.The Play: With...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
5 hours ago, Gil said:

The Tennessee Lady Vols won a weekend softball game against Utah after an umpire's obstruction call on a game-ending play at the plate scored the winning run. Was the call correct pursuant to NCAA rules or should the game have continued? Utes catcher Martinez blocks plate too early.The Play: With...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

You are totally wrong about NCAA baseball with this statement; "Rationale: College softball's move toward eliminating the defense's opportunity to block the plate without the ball follows both NCAA and MLB baseball's move to eliminate this area of potential contact.
If you had taken the NCAA BB rules test or watched any video interps this or last year you would realize that NCAA allows the catcher to block the plate without the ball if he is fielding the ball within 60', the blocking not necessarily being part of the fielding. The onus is on the runner to slide. That prevents a collision. There are of course some nuances to the rule.

@JimurrayOf course NCAA baseball allows for "act of fielding" as an acceptable circumstance for blocking the plate. The point I was attempting to make was that college softball, like baseball, wants to lessen the likelihood of collisions at the plate - softball by requiring the catcher to possess the ball before blocking the plate and baseball by requiring the catcher to be in the "act of fielding" before blocking the plate, which is where the 60-foot guidelines comes in. I guess I bungled the words.