Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
johnnyg08

Interference

26 minutes ago, Jglopez7 said:

His response, “But how much more obvious can it be if the catcher throws out the runner even with the batter runner interfering?” If we use the OP. 

He can't throw out the runner. The ball is dead.

Also, throwing out a runner is not a double play. With no INT, the defense never gets 2 outs for D3K.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

On 2/13/2018 at 3:27 PM, maven said:  Wendelstedt opines that "There is no 'both-players-doing-their-job' [tangle/untangle] exception as with batted balls out in front of the plate."

I thought I had read that somewhere. Perhaps in the WUM or last year's MLBUM. Thanks for confirming. 

Mr. johnnyg08, a whole lot more than this paraphrase from Mr. maven should sound familiar to you. Because this play was discussed on this site in December 2016. An inactive member calling himself “Double Up” asked essentially an identical question that was posted in the Ask the Umpire forum (titled Drop 3rd interference, posted 12/14/16, currently found on p. 27 of the forum):

"I'll begin by setting the stage... 2 strikes on the right handed BR, there’s a baserunner at 2b and 1 out in the inning. 

"BR swings at a curve ball in the dirt, and R2 reads the ball in the dirt and heads to 3b.

"The right handed BR, attempts to head to 1B, but in doing so makes contact w/ the catcher who's throwing to 3B 1 step outside the box in front of the plate. What's the correct call? 

"In this particular case, the home plate ump did not see the contact and the R2 was subsequently thrown out at 3b...but I'm curious to know how this call should have played out."

And here’s more that should sound familiar—this is what I posted in that thread:

Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  “When the batter-runner contacts an uncaught third strike, or hinders the catcher in his attempt to field the ball, the umpire will wait to see whether it has an interfering effect on the play. If the play is clearly interfered with, the umpire will call and signal interference and then call time. He will call out the batter-runner and return all other runners to their original bases.” (2016 BRD, section 291, p. 191)

Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  (1) If the ball is barely affected, there may be no interference; however, if the ball is knocked a considerable distance away, interference is likely. (2) It no longer makes any difference whether the interference was avoidable. All that matters is whether interference CLEARLY occurred. (3) There is no “both-players-doing-their-job” exception as with batted balls out in front of the plate. (2016 BRD, section 291, p. 191)