Does the homerun still count?

Guest Blake C
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2257 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Blake C

2 outs with a runner on first. The batter comes up and hits a homerun. The runner on first comes around and does not touch home plate. The batter touches home plate after rounding the bases. After the play the defensive team throws the ball to the catcher and he tags home plate for the 3rd out. Since the 3rd out was made before the homerun hitter scored does the homerun still count?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Guest Blake C said:

2 outs with a runner on first. The batter comes up and hits a homerun. The runner on first comes around and does not touch home plate. The batter touches home plate after rounding the bases. After the play the defensive team throws the ball to the catcher and he tags home plate for the 3rd out. Since the 3rd out was made before the homerun hitter scored does the homerun still count?

And he has to announce why he is tagging home plate. It isn't automatic.

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

And he has to announce why he is tagging home plate. It isn't automatic.

He doesn't need to announce it, and it doesn't need to be announced at the time F2 touches the plate.  It just needs to be obvious.  (In this particular play, it's likely that SOMEONE (it doesn't need to be the catcher) will have exclaimed "R1 missed the plate".)

3 hours ago, noumpere said:

He doesn't need to announce it, and it doesn't need to be announced at the time F2 touches the plate.  It just needs to be obvious.  (In this particular play, it's likely that SOMEONE (it doesn't need to be the catcher) will have exclaimed "R1 missed the plate".)

Two runners crossed the plate. You have to announce which you are appealing. the exclamation by "someone", IF A TEAMMATE, would count. But it needs to be announced.

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Two runners crossed the plate. You have to announce which you are appealing. the exclamation by "someone", IF A TEAMMATE, would count. But it needs to be announced.

The easy answer is "both/all of them".  Who knows...maybe they both missed the plate.

I did have this in a game once - I saw R1 miss second base on an eventual inside the park homerun...I said to the pitcher "he missed the base, throw to second base"...ball was thrown to F4 standing on two.  Ump says "which one?"  I said "the first one"...he said "safe"...I said "OK, the second one"...he said "out".    I didn't see if the BR missed the base...I wasn't watching by the time he got there.