Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blake C

Does the homerun still count?

Question

Guest Blake C

2 outs with a runner on first. The batter comes up and hits a homerun. The runner on first comes around and does not touch home plate. The batter touches home plate after rounding the bases. After the play the defensive team throws the ball to the catcher and he tags home plate for the 3rd out. Since the 3rd out was made before the homerun hitter scored does the homerun still count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts


Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0

...so, if the situation were changed so that bases were loaded, and R1 still missed the plate, the appeal would still be upheld and 2 runs would score. R2 & R3 would score, R1's run would be nullified by the appeal, and the BR's would be disallowed by rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Guest Blake C said:

2 outs with a runner on first. The batter comes up and hits a homerun. The runner on first comes around and does not touch home plate. The batter touches home plate after rounding the bases. After the play the defensive team throws the ball to the catcher and he tags home plate for the 3rd out. Since the 3rd out was made before the homerun hitter scored does the homerun still count?

And he has to announce why he is tagging home plate. It isn't automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

And he has to announce why he is tagging home plate. It isn't automatic.

He doesn't need to announce it, and it doesn't need to be announced at the time F2 touches the plate.  It just needs to be obvious.  (In this particular play, it's likely that SOMEONE (it doesn't need to be the catcher) will have exclaimed "R1 missed the plate".)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, noumpere said:

He doesn't need to announce it, and it doesn't need to be announced at the time F2 touches the plate.  It just needs to be obvious.  (In this particular play, it's likely that SOMEONE (it doesn't need to be the catcher) will have exclaimed "R1 missed the plate".)

Two runners crossed the plate. You have to announce which you are appealing. the exclamation by "someone", IF A TEAMMATE, would count. But it needs to be announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Two runners crossed the plate. You have to announce which you are appealing. the exclamation by "someone", IF A TEAMMATE, would count. But it needs to be announced.

The easy answer is "both/all of them".  Who knows...maybe they both missed the plate.

I did have this in a game once - I saw R1 miss second base on an eventual inside the park homerun...I said to the pitcher "he missed the base, throw to second base"...ball was thrown to F4 standing on two.  Ump says "which one?"  I said "the first one"...he said "safe"...I said "OK, the second one"...he said "out".    I didn't see if the BR missed the base...I wasn't watching by the time he got there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×