2018 NFHS Exam

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2222 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, humanbackstop19 said:

IN the case of coaches' interference with the runner rounding third, that question is almost exactly what was on the NCAA exam in 2017.  The NCAA ruling it IS interference, the runner is declared out immediately, and ball remains live.  The rationale is because the runner slipped and then collided with the coach, the coach aided in stopping the runners' momentum.  It need not be intentional to be interference.  NFHS may see it a little different.  But, the coaches' box is not a sanctuary. In my judgement, he needs no avoid interference with HIS runner just as he needs to avoid it with any fielder.  

See, this is logical to me. 

I feel for any newer umpire that has to answer this question.

With a runner on third, the batter hits a high pop fly that drifts over foul territory. The third baseman is accidentally
prevented from catching the ball by the runner at third base.
A. Foul ball.
B. The runner at third is out and the batter is out.
C. The batter is out.
D. The coach is restricted to the bench and the coaching box must remain unoccupied.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

With a runner on third, the batter hits a high pop fly that drifts over foul territory. The third baseman is accidentally
A. Foul ball.
C. The batter is out.
D. The coach is restricted to the bench and the coaching box must remain unoccupied.

"A" is half the answer and half of "B" is the other half of the answer. :HS

15 hours ago, Matt said:

A. Foul ball.
C. The batter is out.

fixed your post

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Matt said:

A. Foul ball.
C. The batter is out.

I read this one wrong. There's another one that deals with the coach and coaching box this is not that question.

I think the answer they want us to put for this one is: B

15 hours ago, Matt said:

A. Foul ball.
C. The batter is out.

If R3 was ON the bag and interfered, then B is the most correct answer.  In OBR and NCAA, R3 would have to interfere intentionally, but FED is a little different.  FED says that the runner need not vacate the bag, but he also may not interfere.  It seems like the bar is lower in FED and doesn't actually require intent.

10 hours ago, grayhawk said:

If R3 was ON the bag and interfered, then B is the most correct answer.  In OBR and NCAA, R3 would have to interfere intentionally, but FED is a little different.  FED says that the runner need not vacate the bag, but he also may not interfere.  It seems like the bar is lower in FED and doesn't actually require intent.

It's worded differently, but the intent is the same between all the codes.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I put A, because the batter is not out if a runner interferes with a fielder on a foul fly.

So did I, and for the same reason: it's the most correct (and least incorrect) of the available responses.

It is not, as we know, the credited response.

Back in the day, I got paid (pretty well) to create questions for the GRE. I would not have been paid for that kind of question.

• Like 1