Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
mrumpiresir

Is this a balk?

Question

I've been curious about this for some time.  Is it a balk for left handed pitcher to bring his leg up to the balance point, not moving toward the plate, then step and throw to first?  Or does it violate the step directly to the base rule?  I think I've seen it called both ways.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFS3mtTBq7o

7 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

An argument for/against a balk call in the youtube video pickoff can be made. Not for the leg raised as much for the immediate body direction (towards HP). I know I don't have a balk with me in 'B' on a 2-man crew...90% sure no balk as PU either. 

The OP issue about LHP raising his non-pivot foot and balancing (hanging there) is a balk for not delivering without hesitation.  But that's not what was in the you tube video.

Absolutely a balk if he hangs the leg.   Maybe I could have been more clear on my question.  Is bringing the free leg to the balance point then stepping to first a direct step to first?

The issue in the video is not a hanging leg, but a step to the plate. Watch 0:45-0:55.

It's extremely tight, as he's very close to the 45°. His body pretty clearly moves toward the plate, and I'm leaning balk on that one, but i can see why they passed.

As a general rule, if we need replays, angles, and slow motion to detect a violation, we should leave it alone. True in all sports.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this