Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
txump81

NFHS Rules: Catcher's Helmet

On 3/31/2018 at 11:23 PM, ElkOil said:

There is no definitive science to back up your mouth guard comment, and there is actual science to refute your mask comment. Your preference for protective equipment is not rooted in the safety of high school children. It's one thing to want something for yourself, but it's quite another to want it for "future generations." Why would you possibly want kids more exposed and less protected?

Oh cmon.  There is a ton of studies out there, use google, to show mouth-guard use and decline of concussion severity in many sports. Many people are begging this to be mandatory in soccer which often has the highest undetected concussion rate of all sports.  Numerous minor league hockey teams have now mandated their use and has been pushed but the team's Athletic Trainers on staff.  Great stuff.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

If a kid can wear his HSM to catch pitches why can't he take a throw for a play at the plate with his helmet on? The danger seems to be from a ball or a runner's helmet to the face. Leaving his HSM on offers the best protection.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Minnz said:

Oh cmon.  There is a ton of studies out there, use google, to show mouth-guard use and decline of concussion severity in many sports. Many people are begging this to be mandatory in soccer which often has the highest undetected concussion rate of all sports.  Numerous minor league hockey teams have now mandated their use and has been pushed but the team's Athletic Trainers on staff.  Great stuff.

If you mean a Google search like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+mouthguards+prevent+concussions&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS761US761&oq=do+mouthguards+prevent+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.13006j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'll go ahead and disagree with you. More studies than not either state they won't help, or the jury is still out. The vast minority of studies that I've found state mouthguards prevent concussions.

Many, many people can beg and plead all they like, but public opinion is not a substitute for scientific finding. Neither is minor league hockey teams mandating their use. Many times, those steps are taken as feel-good measures to show that a league "cares" about their players (or wants to avoid liability and lawsuits, more accurately), but the actual benefit may be little or none. I'll take the science every time.

12 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

If you mean a Google search like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+mouthguards+prevent+concussions&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS761US761&oq=do+mouthguards+prevent+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.13006j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'll go ahead and disagree with you. More studies than not either state they won't help, or the jury is still out. The vast minority of studies that I've found state mouthguards prevent concussions.

Many, many people can beg and plead all they like, but public opinion is not a substitute for scientific finding. Neither is minor league hockey teams mandating their use. Many times, those steps are taken as feel-good measures to show that a league "cares" about their players (or wants to avoid liability and lawsuits, more accurately), but the actual benefit may be little or none. I'll take the science every time.

Once again I never said prevent. Reduce severity has been shown.

Also, NOCSAE is not the end all be all in their opinions. Many people have written opposite of their idea behind the hockey mask vs traditional.

2 hours ago, Minnz said:

Once again I never said prevent. Reduce severity has been shown.

Also, NOCSAE is not the end all be all in their opinions. Many people have written opposite of their idea behind the hockey mask vs traditional.

Ok.

14 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

If a kid can wear his HSM to catch pitches why can't he take a throw for a play at the plate with his helmet on? The danger seems to be from a ball or a runner's helmet to the face. Leaving his HSM on offers the best protection.

Aren't they being taught this anyway? The days of chucking the helmet or mask to the side for a play at the plate are long gone. Most catchers keep their masks on to protect them from getting a ball to the face, as much as it is to not take a runner's body part to the same area.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:47 AM, KenBAZ said:

That was the whole idea about these masks. You shouldn't have to take them off.  They are meant to be worn all the time even when making plays. Umpires shouldn't "have" to remove either to make a call but we all know leaving the mask on to make a call wouldn't ever fly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minnz said:

That was the whole idea about these masks. You shouldn't have to take them off.  They are meant to be worn all the time even when making plays. Umpires shouldn't "have" to remove either to make a call but we all know leaving the mask on to make a call wouldn't ever fly.

Most "grown up" catchers these days leave their mask on no matter the type.  Youth coaches need to catch up.

• Like 2