New Umpires Section

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2243 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've only recently joined after ghosting the site for awhile and have found it to be an extraordinary resource, however, for the talk I see lamenting the shortcomings of poorly trained and informed umpires (which I completely was before seeing this site) I would like to suggest that a dedicated subforum be established for new umpires. Apologies in advance if this has been previously suggested, I couldnt find a similar post on the search function. I would envision it containing the following:

-UmpEmp's informational videos

-Frequently made mistakes in mechanics, coach interactions, and rules

-Links to the various rule sets

-Recommendations for starter gear and such

-Allow the more experienced umps to post advice and whatnot

-And other resources as seen necessary

I have no doubt this hasn't even outlined a small part of what could go into such a section, but I feel like it would vastly improve the experience for first-time users and rookie umpires like myself.

Thanks!

-LoneBlueStar

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maven said:

Isn't that just the entire site?

The "Ask the Umpire" forum is supposed to be for flame-free Q/A, including from newer umpires. I'm not sure the other suggested topics warrant a section for noobs.

I would see this as a way to gather the myriad of resources on the site into a more organized fashion for those unfamiliar with it. As to your point on the Ask the Umpire forum, I completely agree, new umpires should be asking questions there, but having a section that addresses common misconceptions and other basic information would help focus those questions and perhaps provoke ones previously unthought of. Thanks for the reply!

-LoneBlueStar

Must-need info for new umpires:

- How to find assigners, umpire directors, associations, or tournament directors.

How to talk with said persons, once found, and what sort of expectations should be considered.

- How to construct and maintain an Umpire Resumé.