NCAA Exam Thread

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2255 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First, thank you NCAA for not flooding the exam with batting out of order questions.  With that said.....let's go over Question # 44:

The current batting line-up is Abel, Baker, Charles, Daniel, Edward. Charles, who had batted leadoff the entire season, is put in the third position for this game. Charles, expecting to lead off, bats first (not realizing he is listed third) and strikes out. Baker comes to bat next and doubles. The home team head coach appeals that Baker batted out of order.

·       a.

o   Rule Baker out and bring Daniel up to bat.

·       b.

o   Rule Baker out and remove him from 2B and bring Charles up to bat again.

·       c.

o   Rule Daniel out, remove Baker from 2B and bring Edward up to bat.

·       d.

o   Do nothing as this is legal. Baker is the second batter on the line-up card and the second batter up in the game.

I initially thought it was legal.  However, I changed it to ruling Baker out and bring Daniel up to bat (Answer on here).  Anyone agree/disagree?  

5 minutes ago, humanbackstop19 said:

First, thank you NCAA for not flooding the exam with batting out of order questions.  With that said.....let's go over Question # 44:

The current batting line-up is Abel, Baker, Charles, Daniel, Edward. Charles, who had batted leadoff the entire season, is put in the third position for this game. Charles, expecting to lead off, bats first (not realizing he is listed third) and strikes out. Baker comes to bat next and doubles. The home team head coach appeals that Baker batted out of order.

·       a.

o   Rule Baker out and bring Daniel up to bat.

·       b.

o   Rule Baker out and remove him from 2B and bring Charles up to bat again.

·       c.

o   Rule Daniel out, remove Baker from 2B and bring Edward up to bat.

·       d.

o   Do nothing as this is legal. Baker is the second batter on the line-up card and the second batter up in the game.

I initially thought it was legal.  However, I changed it to ruling Baker out and bring Daniel up to bat (Answer on here).  Anyone agree/disagree?  

Answer would be C.  The first pitch to Baker legitimized Charles's at bat, so the correct batter would be Daniel.  Daniel is now out and you bring up Edward. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spiffdawg7 said:

Answer would be C.  The first pitch to Baker legitimized Charles's at bat, so the correct batter would be Daniel.  Daniel is now out and you bring up Edward. 

correct and you ignore Able and Baker's opportunity to bat.

1 hour ago, humanbackstop19 said:

·    

Read the thread up in "Ask the Umpire" on batting out of order and you'll get this question right.

Got a question that is tripping me up. Om my test it is Number 22. It reads:

R1, no outs. Batter attempts a bunt that rolls foul down the first base line. As the ball is about to stop rolling, the batter kicks the ball in disgust. The umpire is certain the ball would not have rolled fair.
  • a.
    • Batter is ejected.
  • b.
    • The batter is out.
  • c.
    • Foul ball.
  • d.
    • R1 is out for the batter's interference

I have the batter being out (Answer B) per rule 7-11-h Note " If while attempting to advance to first base, the batter-runner intentionally deflects the ball, the batter-runner is declared out, the ball is dead and all runners return. 

I feel that this rule conflicts with 7-11-o which reads "after hitting or bunting a foul ball, the batter-runner intentionally deflects the course of the ball that has a chance of becoming fair... The ball is dead, the batter is out, and no runner may advance.

1 hour ago, LineyNinja said:

I have the batter being out (Answer B) per rule 7-11-h Note " If while attempting to advance to first base, the batter-runner intentionally deflects the ball, the batter-runner is declared out, the ball is dead and all runners return.

Hint:  Does 7-11h refer to a batted ball?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

I agree. And trust me, I am right.

Edited by slo8140
Added info

Question #23 Video

Per the definition of “tag”, if the umpire judges the fielder has maintained control of his body and the ball, it is a tag.

• a. True (is what the NCAA wants)
  • b. False

Much discussion in my group on this video question. What did y'all have on this one?

Edited by slo8140
More info

Question #28 Video

The catcher was blocking the plate as the runner attempted to score. Legal play as he was in the act of fielding the throw.

• a. True (Is what the NCAA wants)
  • b. False

This is the one that had to do with the 60 ft deal of in the act of fielding...Hard to tell from the video. What is the consensus of the group.

Edited by slo8140
More info

Video question with the missed bunt and back-pick at 2nd base.

• a.
    • Batter is automatically out for stepping out of the batter’s box.
  • b.
    • Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out.
  • c.
    • On a pickoff play at any base, the defensive player must clearly have possession of the ball before blocking the base.

• f.
    • b and c only.

I know C is right, but B is sitting there tempting me because IF we're talking about calling the batter out for interference, then yes, it's ignored. Just wish it said "Batter is not out for interference if any runner..."  But, of course, it doesn't, AND there's the B and C option.

9 hours ago, LineyNinja said:

Got a question that is tripping me up. Om my test it is Number 22. It reads:

R1, no outs. Batter attempts a bunt that rolls foul down the first base line. As the ball is about to stop rolling, the batter kicks the ball in disgust. The umpire is certain the ball would not have rolled fair.

• a.
    • Batter is ejected.

• b.
    • The batter is out.

• c.
    • Foul ball.

• d.
    • R1 is out for the batter's interference

I feel that this rule conflicts with 7-11-o which reads "after hitting or bunting a foul ball, the batter-runner intentionally deflects the course of the ball that has a chance of becoming fair... The ball is dead, the batter is out, and no runner may advance.

Don't make it harder than it is...see the red above

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, alex7 said:

Video question with the missed bunt and back-pick at 2nd base.

• a.
    • Batter is automatically out for stepping out of the batter’s box.
  • b.
    • Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out.
  • c.
    • On a pickoff play at any base, the defensive player must clearly have possession of the ball before blocking the base.

• f.
    • b and c only.

I know C is right, but B is sitting there tempting me because IF we're talking about calling the batter out for interference, then yes, it's ignored. Just wish it said "Batter is not out for interference if any runner..."  But, of course, it doesn't, AND there's the B and C option.

I think you need to go with your gut...

8 hours ago, slo8140 said:

Question #28 Video

The catcher was blocking the plate as the runner attempted to score. Legal play as he was in the act of fielding the throw.

• a. True (Is what the NCAA wants)
  • b. False

This is the one that had to do with the 60 ft deal of in the act of fielding...Hard to tell from the video. What is the consensus of the group.

That catcher was there well before the ball got to within 60 feet, and the throw was not to the 3B side of home. I had this as an illegal block.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, slo8140 said:

Question #23 Video

Per the definition of “tag”, if the umpire judges the fielder has maintained control of his body and the ball, it is a tag.

• a. True (is what the NCAA wants)
  • b. False

Much discussion in my group on this video question. What did y'all have on this one?

The video is irrelevant. Look at the question, and what the answer is to that question.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

That catcher was there well before the ball got to within 60 feet, and the throw was not to the 3B side of home. I had this as an illegal block.

I understand your reasoning and it was close. But I would trust my answer.

Question #3 Video

How would you rule on this play?

a. Obstruction against a runner on which a play is being made. Immediate dead ball.

b. Type 2 obstruction. Keep the ball alive until play has ceased. Then call “Time” and award bases.

c. Runner intentionally tried to draw an obstruction call by reaching out to touch a fielder who was not obstructing him. Ball is alive.

It's a rundown, so B is not the answer. I was pretty sure C is incorrect by rule, but now I'm not sure.

7 minutes ago, slo8140 said:

It.turned out to be irrelevant. Don’t like this test question.

The NCAA's addition of the voluntary release clause is what confuses people. There doesn't have to be voluntary release; what that clause means is that if there is, the fielder has maintained control of his body and the ball and it is always considered a completed tag.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Agreed!  The throw took him away from the direction of home plate.  The NCAA wants "the act of fielding" to take the catcher towards the base path in order for it to be a legal play.  If the answer is "True", they just complicated matters even more so.  

7 hours ago, Matt said:

The NCAA's addition of the voluntary release clause is what confuses people. There doesn't have to be voluntary release; what that clause means is that if there is, the fielder has maintained control of his body and the ball and it is always considered a completed tag.

Yep...that is what they were wanting you to think.

1 hour ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Agreed!  The throw took him away from the direction of home plate.  The NCAA wants "the act of fielding" to take the catcher towards the base path in order for it to be a legal play.  If the answer is "True", they just complicated matters even more so.  

The NCAA wants you to see the play as legal. Hard one to understand, but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, slo8140 said:

The NCAA wants you to see the play as legal. Hard one to understand, but it is what it is.

The online clinic video of the catcher blocking the plate with his leg, that move not part of his fielding action, but occurring while he was in the act of fielding being a legal block confirmed that the NCAA considers this legal. I think NCAA wants runners to plan on sliding at HP if they approach the dirt circle and there is any part of the catcher blocking the plate. If we percieve a throw within 60' the block is legal and if the runner slides there is no collision rule violation. If we percieve an illegal block we call obstruction. But they want the runner to plan on sliding unless there is no catcher blocking when he gets to the dirt circle.

After a 20 second violation has been called on the defense, the pitching coach continues to yell at the third base umpire about the call. What should the third base umpire do?

A. Eject the head coach without warning as arguing a 20-second violation is not allowed.

B. Eject the pitching coach without a warning.

C. Warn the team and if it continues, eject the pitching coach. 

D. Issue a warning and then eject the head coach if it continues.

Rule 9-2-c

The pitcher shall not:

Art. c.

Delay the game at any time. With the bases unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball within 20 seconds after receiving the ball on the mound;

PENALTY: After a warning for each pitcher, a ball will be called each time the rule is violated.

Note:  Coaches are prohibited from arguing a 20-second rule violation. A warning shall be given for the first offense and an ejection of the head coach on subsequent violations.

Appendix F

20-SECOND PITCH CLOCK LIMIT

4.  A strike results if the batter is not in the box ready to take the pitch with five seconds or less showing on the clock and time expires. When there is a timing or clock violation, no pitch will result and either a ball or strike is called depending on the violation and any ensuing play is nullified. Following a team warning, if a coach, student-athlete, manager or any other non playing personnel argues any penalty or timing procedure they are subject to an immediate ejection. The head coach is allowed to bring a clock malfunction or misapplication of protocol to the umpire’s attention.

In this case, I think the correct answer would be D because this question is about a call against the pitcher, correct?