Batting out of order

Guest Dollar Bill
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2269 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Dollar Bill

High School rules, First inning, B1 and B2 bat in reverse order in the line-up. B2 singles. B1 grounds out but advances B2 to 2B. DHC appeals that B1 and B2 batted out of order and want both called out. 

I have a valid appeal on B1 BOO, but not B2. With B2 at-bat legalized with a pitch to B1, B3 should have batted. B3 is out on the BOO appeal ,B2 is returned to 1B and B4 is the next batter. 

My question is, does the B1 ground out stand as well ?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

16 answers to this question

You can't get 2 outs on the BOO. Once the defense properly appeals that it was BOO, the batter that was supposed to bat in that spot is out. Plus, any advancement by the offense will be nullified. So return the runner to first base, send B3 to the plate with 1 out in the inning.

In FED, you can get two outs on a BOO (but not on this play).  If B1 had hit into a double play, then the out on B2 at second base would stand and B3 would be called out for the BOO. 

4 hours ago, grayhawk said:

In FED, you can get two outs on a BOO (but not on this play).  If B1 had hit into a double play, then the out on B2 at second base would stand and B3 would be called out for the BOO. 

True, but it's misleading to say that it's 2 outs for BOO (which is what coach wanted). Had the OP involved a double play, coach would have wanted THREE outs.

6 minutes ago, Guest Pugz said:

I’m confused as to why B3 would be out.  Isn’t he the correct batter due up?  

B2 batted out of order.

But, when a pitch was thrown to B1, B2's at bat was legitimized.  So, B3 is the proper batter.

Since B3 didn't bat when it was his turn, (and since the appeal was at the proper time) B3 is out.

It's called "batting out of order" but it should be called "Missed Your Turn At Bat" (or MYTAB as someone earlier in the thread used.

In FED rules wouldn’t the correct spot in the lineup assume batting responsibilities after the batting out of order penalty is enforced?  And wouldn’t that be B3?  Just because B1 and B2 reversed their order it shouldn’t have an affect on B3’s turn at bat.  

37 minutes ago, Guest Pugz said:

In FED rules wouldn’t the correct spot in the lineup assume batting responsibilities after the batting out of order penalty is enforced?  And wouldn’t that be B3?  Just because B1 and B2 reversed their order it shouldn’t have an affect on B3’s turn at bat.  

Read noumperes's post again. He described the rule correctly.

5 hours ago, Guest Pugz said:

The FED rule is no different in these respects.

So I understand.  I either got it, or I'm useless on this stuff.  All this mess happened because HC waited a pitch, correct?   And he got an out, simply because B1 put the ball in play?

If B1 had swung and missed before HC appealed, B2's at bat would be legitimized, and then B3 would simply go to the plate with an 0-1 count, no?

IF HC had called BOO before the pitch, then B1 would be out, and then B2 would go to the plate again?

If offense had really screwed the pooch on batting order and B6, for example, had got the hit, then B1 hit the ball before the appeal, B7 would be out and then B8 would come to the plate?

31 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

So I understand.  I either got it, or I'm useless on this stuff.  All this mess happened because HC waited a pitch, correct?   And he got an out, simply because B1 put the ball in play?

If B1 had swung and missed before HC appealed, B2's at bat would be legitimized, and then B3 would simply go to the plate with an 0-1 count, no?

IF HC had called BOO before the pitch, then B1 would be out, and then B2 would go to the plate again?

If offense had really screwed the pooch on batting order and B6, for example, had got the hit, then B1 hit the ball before the appeal, B7 would be out and then B8 would come to the plate?

You either got it or are really lucky.

20 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

You only need to know two things to get these plays right:

1) The goldilocks principle -- The defense can appeal too early, too late, or just right.

2) It's called BOO or BOOT, but it should be called MYTAB or BTSTBWIYT (being too stupid to bat when it's your turn)

9 minutes ago, noumpere said:

You only need to know two three things to get these plays right:

1) The goldilocks principle -- The defense can appeal too early, too late, or just right.

2) It's called BOO or BOOT, but it should be called MYTAB or BTSTBWIYT (being too stupid to bat when it's your turn)

3) The penalty, when appealed "just right," is: the proper batter is called out, the improper batter is removed from base, and any other runners advancing as a direct result of his at bat are returned to their prior bases.

4 hours ago, maven said:

3) The penalty, when appealed "just right," is: the proper batter is called out, the improper batter is removed from base, and any other runners advancing as a direct result of his at bat are returned to their prior bases.

If you know it's called MYTAB and not BOO(T), then you'll get number 3 right as well.  At least, that's been my experience in teaching it this way.