Was this catcher's interference? Don't think I've seen a play like this before

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2233 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

23 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Here's what I think is the applicable case play for FED. From the 2018 NFHS Baseball Case Book (but this case play has been in their book since at least 2003):

8.1.1 SITUATION F:  R2. After B2 takes his position in batter’s box, F2 clearly reaches out over home plate (a) prior to; (b) after F1 has made a movement that has committed him to pitch; or (c) to receive the pitch. RULING:  It is catcher obstruction in both (b) and (c), and B2 is awarded first base and R2 is awarded third base only if he was stealing on the pitch. F2 may not catch the pitch until it has passed home plate. In (a), there is no violation provided F2 and his equipment are removed from the area over home plate before pitcher has made a movement that committed him to pitch. (8-3-1c)

I think it is clear under FED rules that the play in the OP is catcher’s interference (or catcher’s obstruction as FED refers to it) because F2 reached out to catch the pitch before it passed the plate. No swing is required under FED rules, only the action by F2. Too bad the OBR doesn’t publish a case book as clear as FED’s.

This is another of many examples in MLB of a pitchout caught before passing the plate:

https://www.mlb.com/video/joseph-nabs-trout/c-118483283

Are you calling this CO in FED? I don't think the FED caseplay or rule would apply to a ball this far from passing over HP. If you apply the caseplay literally it would be CO if the catcher retrieved a lost grip pitch up the foul line. The wording of "before it passes the plate" might just specifically refer to the pitch that F2 reached out over HP to catch. So the caseplay is not so clear as you state. A swing attempt is not required in any code to judge CI/CO but umpire judgement is required.

26 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I don't think the FED caseplay or rule would apply to a ball this far from passing over HP. If you apply the caseplay literally it would be CO if the catcher retrieved a lost grip pitch up the foul line. The wording of "before it passes the plate" might just specifically refer to the pitch that F2 reached out over HP to catch. So the caseplay is not so clear as you state. A swing attempt is not required in any code to judge CI/CO but umpire judgement is required.

*8.1.1 SITUATION G: R3 is on third. After F1 winds up, R3 starts home as in a squeeze play. F3, who is playing close for a bunt, cuts off the pitch and tags R3. 

RULING: This is a defensive obstruction. The ball becomes dead when touched by F3. R3 is awarded home and batter is awarded first. (5-1-2b, 8-1-1e, 8-3-1c)

30 minutes ago, Cav said:

*8.1.1 SITUATION G: R3 is on third. After F1 winds up, R3 starts home as in a squeeze play. F3, who is playing close for a bunt, cuts off the pitch and tags R3. 

RULING: This is a defensive obstruction. The ball becomes dead when touched by F3. R3 is awarded home and batter is awarded first. (5-1-2b, 8-1-1e, 8-3-1c)

I don't have a problem calling that Sit as CO. Would you call the two MLB pitchout videos CO in FED?

NFHS CB8.1.1G is not ruled CO, but rather "defensive' obstruction," the semantics can be a separate topic.

I don't know if I'm good enough to catch the obstruction shown in either video.  But, if I judged that F2 touched the moving pitched ball over fair territory, then my prosecutorial discretion may favor the offense; over foul territory, not so much.  

3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

If you apply the caseplay literally it would be CO if the catcher retrieved a lost grip pitch up the foul line.

NFHS 2-28-4 delineates when a pitch ends.      

15 hours ago, Cav said:

NFHS CB8.1.1G is not ruled CO, but rather "defensive' obstruction," the semantics can be a separate topic.

I don't know if I'm good enough to catch the obstruction shown in either video.  But, if I judged that F2 touched the moving pitched ball over fair territory, then my prosecutorial discretion may favor the offense; over foul territory, not so much.  

NFHS 2-28-4 delineates when a pitch ends.      

I was thinking of a still rolling dropped pitch being gloved by the catcher after it crosses the foul line.

But I do like your use of the foul line as an aid to judging CI during a pitch-out.

I recall the day (low 70s, partly cloudy, light breeze blowing to the RF corner, dinosaur droppings everywhere) when Roder said that a batter was allowed the unobstructed opportunity to hit a pitch until the pitch was complete, even if it meant throwing his bat at the ball still moving on the ground or in the air UNTIL it passed the foul line or plate [sic].  I may be wrong, but I've abided by that guidance for the last few decad...years.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, Jimurray said:

I was thinking of a still rolling dropped pitch being gloved by the catcher after it crosses the foul line.

But I do like your use of the foul line as an aid to judging CI during a pitch-out.

Just because it can't be called a strike, doesn't mean he doesn't have an opportunity to hit the pitch.

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

Just because it can't be called a strike, doesn't mean he doesn't have an opportunity to hit the pitch.

So if the batter had not swung the catcher in that video would be guilty of CI if he moved up closer to the foul line to retrieve the pitch?