HSM suggestion large head

Jmaytx
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2274 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

New ump here. I’m 6’6” and wear a 7 3/4 cap. I got a Force 9 helmet that’s supposed to fit a 7 3/4” but the only way I can get it to fit properly is if I take off the chin pad. Does anyone have any suggestions for a HSM for someone with a large head?  I may just have to stick with a traditional mask. 

30 minutes ago, Jmaytx said:

New ump here. I’m 6’6” and wear a 7 3/4 cap. I got a Force 9 helmet that’s supposed to fit a 7 3/4” but the only way I can get it to fit properly is if I take off the chin pad. Does anyone have any suggestions for a HSM for someone with a large head?  I may just have to stick with a traditional mask. 

A Force-9? Good sir, there is a Force3 or there is a Pro-9, two different companies entirely.

My guess is you mean Force3, in which case I would advise you to call Force3 and speak with one of their core staff (you’ll likely get Jason, the founder and president on the phone) about what you’re encountering, and if a solution can be hatched.

The chin pad on the Force3 Defender HSM is extremely stiff when brand new, besides being much thicker than other HSM chin pads. Force3 has correctly identified that the chin piece, on an umpire’s mask, is very important (because we’re taught not to drop our chin, unlike a catcher), and in order for the spring suspension to work, there must be firm contact and resistance.

Of all the Force3 equipment pieces, this is the design that compromised the most in terms of using conventional parts and thinking. I can understand why – the cost of bringing an all-new shell design/mold into production – that still satisfies NOCSAE’s standards – is likely off-putting. Thus, Force3 used a conventional HSM planform and adapted their shock-spring structure to fit it.

This challenge (big head into a conventional HSM designed for catchers’ needs) does beg the question – why a HSM for you? You’re a 6’6” towering umpire, what reasons or factors compel you to find the solution with a HSM?

These questions are not rhetorical, silly, or argumentative... I’d like to find a solution with/for you.

I am so sorry, it’s a Pro Nine, I mistyped that. I wanted to try a HSM and a regular mask to see which I prefer starting out. That and I figured the HSM is going to give some protection against getting hit by wild backswings. Just trying to be as safe as possible. 

@Jmaytx, that changes things...

A Pro-Nine, as a HSM (or in a Traditional Mask*, for that matter) offers nothing unique for protection or for umpires different than what any other HSM offers for catchers. It's not even of the upper echelon of HSM's (Such as the All-Star MVP25xx, Easton M-series, Mizuno Samurai, or the brand-new Wilson Pro Stock (I can't believe I just typed that)) for catchers, instead using the same, common, "budget" planform that All-Star, Easton, Rawlings, Louisville Slugger, TPx, and Worth all use on their mid-range catchers HSMs (Schutt and Diamond use a different planform, but it's much the same – for catchers). Again, I keep stressing – catchers, catchers, catchers. They are designed for catchers, the vast majority of them who, if trained properly, are taught to drop their chin, and will be unceremoniously and recklessly dumping their HSMs off their head. These same catchers are typically youth-age (if you notice, college and adult age catchers have the capital or sponsorship to obtain upper echelon HSMs which I listed before... can you name a college or pro catcher using a $60 Louisville Slugger HSM?), and very very few of them have a 6'6" body frame with a 7-&-3/4" head!

That brings up another point – you, sir, are 6'6". How often will a backswing get you up by your head? If you were concerned about wood bats breaking and having that freak Kerwin Danley accident occur, I can understand. But you have to address the context in which you are calling balls and strikes. Is this a strictly amateur environment, with non-wood bats, and speeds less than 90 mph? Chances are you won't need a conventional HSM, and if you're starting out, having a HSM might actually be a hinderance instead of a benefit.

Let me explain...

The single most important tool for an umpire is our eye(s). I shouldn't need to go into a long explanation as to why they're important, but I will say, that a major component to selling a call – making it credible – is having your eyes unobstructed and seeing the play in its entirety. For this, we are encouraged, nay, directed to take our masks off whenever able so as to have an unfettered, unobstructed view of the play, and so the participants can see that we're looking at the play as well. If and when we do move out from behind the plate, we should have our masks off and carried in our left hand. We (as PU's) must practice and get used to making every mechanic with a mask being in our left hand (safe, foul, etc.) without the "luxury" of being able to dump it on the ground like a catcher (as an umpire, your mask or HSM should never touch the ground unless it was knocked off your head). Some guys have gotten very well practiced with this, as well as repetitively taking the HSM on and off again. If you're new to umpiring, a great degree of the credibility-building you'll be employing is how you dress, how you conduct and carry yourself on the field, how you use your voice and mechanics, your hustle on rotations, and... whether or not they (the participants) can see that you are observing what you're supposed to be. You'll have your mask off far more than on, if you think about it.

So too, when you're starting out, you're still learning how to lock in and keep yourself stable so as to fully read and judge pitches. The arrival of a baseball is a violent, sudden act, and it takes practiced and tuned nerves to remain stable in the face of a baseball comin' at you. Many avert their eyes, instinctively and reflexively, often turning or dropping their head. After catching for the many years that I did, I had to overcome a formed habit of mine of dropping my chin on low pitches. By turning your head, not only are you taking your eyes off the pitch, but you're also exposing the sides or top of your head to an uncaught pitch or foul ball (foul tips are directly caught, remember). Now, you might think I just talked us into a HSM; however, that same HSM can give you a false sense of security, because if your entire head is protected, what reason would you have to lock in and not turn or flinch your head? Peril will always change bad habits much much faster than Prescription. If I tell you, "Don't move your head because you don't see the entire pitch", you might nod and say "I'll work on that", but reflexively revert back to it after a few pitches. Whereas, if I tell you, "If you move your head, you're going to be concussed or killed"... I think you're going actively endeavor to stay still.

A Traditional Mask is just as protective against frontal impact as a HSM; in fact, I'm of the camp that believes a TM is better protection against frontal impact than every current HSM (which, again, are designed for catchers, not umpires). The only reason NFHS (the Fed) and NOCSAE outlaw TM's in Fed-sanctioned games is because they cannot provide overall head injury protection guaranteed.

In summary, if you want to pursue down the path of TM use, I can assure you that you'll be just fine (I can't guarantee it, but insofar as how life is a chance anyway). If, however, you do want to use conventional, current HSMs, at your size... look into getting an All-Star MVP25xx or try and get a Wilson Shock FX before they're gone for good.

* : a Pro-Nine Traditional Mask is a decent mask. It is hollow tube steel, of a clean, good-visibility design, and has a subtle, yet functional extended crown guard. This crown guard protects the button of your cap from being impacted, just like the Diamond DFM-iX3 family, the Honig's K-4, and a few Champro masks, but done in a very discreet way. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jmaytx said:

@Jmaytx, it's a question I see often, including here. I will save you some time. I researched this issue last year after an umpire with a 7 5/8 head size wanted a helmet.

There was no umpire helmet or catchers helmet - offered by us or otherwise - at that time that fit a 7 5/8 or larger head size. Due to a one-size-fits all approach, sizes on both extremes just are not covered. Sorry to be the bad messenger.

I do notice that Pro Nine lists 7 3/4 as the high end of their range, but I do not see it - as you have discovered.

@MadMax made a few good points that might reassure you on a traditional mask. If protection is what you are most concerned with, and with your interest in helmets that weigh more, I would't hesitare to recommend a Force3 umpire mask.

Hope that helps.